help me pick, craigslist wk or wj

AutoXSS

Adventurer
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/4496292721.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/4496096188.html

Ive actually been looking for a gen III Montero limited, but cant seem to find one in good condition and worthwhile value wise. So many are way overpriced. Started looking elsewhere, which is why im here in this section of the forum. The vehicle will mainly be my wife's daily, but will serve as our light duty camp vehicle. By light duty, I mean mostly gravel roads and light trails. My goal is no more than a small lift, around 2", and some tires, maybe one size bigger. Who knows, maybe get bitten by the bug and go from there.

These two vehicles seem to be good deals, both are negotiable for sure. The wk has more miles by alot to us. We dont usually put more than 8k on our daily drivers per year. The wj is a limited and appeals alot more to my wife, the solid axles appeal to me. The newness of the wk is nice too, but that mileage is whats keeping me questioning that route. In the long run, which will be a better grocery getter/light camping duty rig? Which leaves an easier platform to grow into, perhaps getting more serious offroad?

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Pricewise, without too much haggling, the wk would go for $5700ish. The wj will go no lower than $6250(I already asked, maybe $6 flat if I bring the cash in hand

sickchilly

Observer
Between only those two, I'd pick the WJ. It'll be much more nicely appointed with daily luxury features. That WK is a pretty basic trim. I do think the WJ is slightly overpriced though.

However, I'd always pick an Overland or Limited WK with the 5.7 Hemi and QDII over anything else. ;)

I would go with a wj because it has a solid front axle versus ifs on the wk. Solid axel will give you more lift options at a cheaper price and will handle better offroad. IFS is supposed to be better on-road but they are horrible in tougher offroad conditions. Its also more expensive to find a good lift and you won't get the same flex. I have a wj and it handles great both on and offroad. If you get the "bug". You will want a solid front axel

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

The limited wj will have Quadra drive which gives you front and rear vari-lock axels. Those lockers work great for stock tires or one or two sizes larger. I dont think a basic wk comes with front and rear lockers stock.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

AutoXSS

Adventurer
After really looking at these, ive noticed that some say quadradrive under the jeep emblem on the rear and some say 4x4. Could it say 4x4 and still be a quadradrive? I ask this because the sellers dont always know what they have and its hard to spot when dealing with bad advertising pictures

jpat30

Adventurer
The best place to look will be the transfer case shift gate. Under the lever there will tell you what 4x4 system the jeep is equipped with. Whether it is SelecTrac (pt 4wd option) or quadradrive (no pt 4wd option). I have seen many quadradrive vehicles missing the stickers so its best not to go entirely by those.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Ive always wanted one, but trying to stay alot newer on this buy.

Im probably gonna go for the wj. Dude wont go under $6k though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior