Help me pick a trailer type

New member and first post here, although I have lurked a bit. I drive a '19 Ram Power Wagon. Most my offroading/overlanding centers around hunting season so I do a lot of cooler/cold weather camping (although I do plenty of spring and summer camping too). It's mostly forest service roads and poorly maintained BLM trails. Not overly technical normally, but often pretty rough, steep and narrow and I have had to use my lockers on occasion but normally 4WD is sufficient.

I'm almost 40 and growing tired of sleeping on the ground, not having a hot shower and dealing with melting ice in coolers and waking up freezing. My trips normally are a week or less, but for example this December, I'll be on the road for about a month bird hunting through the southwest.

I'm looking for a trailer that adds a little comfort to my adventures. I've waffled back in forth on what type of trailer I think would work best for me. Understanding there are tradeoffs in every decision, I would greatly appreciate any feedback from those with experience with the various trailer types.

My must haves are as follows:

1. Place to sleep off the ground
2. Pressurized water with hit water on demand
3. Fridge/freezer and necessary off grid power
4. Can go most everywhere my power wagon can

I've looked at off-road trailer with RTT:
I like the price and compact nature of it.
I don't like dealing with tent setup/teardown in rain and snow, ladder in the middle of the night.

I've looked at off-road teardrops:
I like most but the price. I have a hard time with the $30k plus when there is no room to stand up, no enclosed shower or toilet.

I've looked at the Opus 15 and Black Series type trailers. I like that they have all the amenities of a typical travel trailer, but question if they are too big to realistically drag them to some of the places I hunt. Obviously, the price is the highest but honestly, not all that much more than many of the new teardrop builds.

Finally, I've looked at just modifying a cargo trailer, but feel like they have the worst limitations off-road and really not intended for the way I would use them.

I would like to be around $15-25k range if possible, but not necessarily against spending more if it fits me well.

I'll shut up and learn now. Thanks again for any feedback in advance!

rehammer81

You sound very similar to me and my desires. It is quite a conundrum here in the U.S. market. I have a couple I am tracking but they have the price issue.

Look at the OffRoadRV.com Sniper X.9. That little trailer peaks my interest but you are looking at $38k. They have a distributor out of Tulsa, OK. Another option might be the new Boreas XT12 but that bad boy is even more expensive.

After that I start looking at really exotic dream rigs like the Kimberley Karavan and the Zone EX12. $$$$$$

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Grassland

I have also failed to find something in that price range with the features you seek, and also with durability or reasonable material selection and build quality.
We ended up with putting a deposit on an Escape 19, tho originally were looking at an Escape 17a although a 17B would better fit your description. You would need to choose the axle lift and put larger tires on at minimum.

You could also check out a Casita or Scamp and beef it up. I forget his handle but a guy here has built up a Casita with reinforced frame, axle, larger tires etc. And you could find a slightly used Casita faster than getting in the que for an "overland" trailer.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Build your own. With a bit of study, the skills required are not too demanding.
Get exactly what you want at a price you can afford.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke