Help me pick a Toyota platform? Trying to decide amongst: LX/LC/GX/4R/Taco

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Gladiator sure hasn’t panned out like Jeep thought though.
I'm guessing cause it's 5-10K to much? Love the idea of them but, I can't see spending 5-10K more than a comparably equipped Ranger, Colorado or Tacoma...

Hell, for the same money as a decently loaded Gladiator you could get a Power Wagon instead.

I think the Bronco will do well. But, I don't think it's going to be the Wrangler killer it's made out to be. Time will tell I guess. Does look pretty appealing though.

Back to Toyota, I am curious to see what the next gen 4Runners, Tacomas and Tundras will bring to the table.

I'm guessing by the time rebates start hitting the next gen Tundra I may be looking to replace my current truck. They may be worth a look.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I think the Bronco will bring over a decent amount of disgruntled Wrangler owners who are tired of the endless issues with the platform but still want to buy a domestic option that is extremely similar. I've owned a few Bronco's in my lifetime so by default I am more interested in it than a Wrangler or Gladiator because I have been burned by all but one of the Jeep's I have owned over the years whereas I have had great experiences with the Ford's that I've owned. I still appreciate and respect the Jeep moniker to a degree but I'd have a hard time getting serious about considering one.

Toyota will continue to have it's loyalist but they aren't smashing any one segment at the moment. I am interested to see what they come up with for the 6th Gen 4Runner, third Gen Tundra, 4th Gen Tacoma and the next series of Land Cruiser. I am not interested in a half-ton truck and if it came down to a Tacoma or 4Runner I'd have a hard time picking the Tacoma when I can get a full size HD truck for just a little more money.

I plan to keep the GX for a bit but I have no idea what will replace it in a few years. Part of me secretly has high hopes for the supposedly more utilitarian Land Cruiser that is coming but should that not pan out I could see it getting replaced with the 6th Gen 4Runner should it be an improvement over the GX. I do miss the lift gate and roll down rear window.

XJLI

Adventurer
Toyota will continue to have it's loyalist but they aren't smashing any one segment at the moment. I am interested to see what they come up with for the 6th Gen 4Runner, third Gen Tundra, 4th Gen Tacoma and the next series of Land Cruiser. I am not interested in a half-ton truck and if it came down to a Tacoma or 4Runner I'd have a hard time picking the Tacoma when I can get a full size HD truck for just a little more money.

I plan to keep the GX for a bit but I have no idea what will replace it in a few years. Part of me secretly has high hopes for the supposedly more utilitarian Land Cruiser that is coming but should that not pan out I could see it getting replaced with the 6th Gen 4Runner should it be an improvement over the GX. I do miss the lift gate and roll down rear window.

It'll be interesting for sure. On one hand, even if they DO bring out some new utilitarian and more off-road friendly versions you know theyre going to be running high revving small displacement motors, probably with turbos in the V. Toyota does have a reputation for reliability but when the machine is more complex, its just more complex no matter how you frame it. You're never going to get that vanilla ice cream simple 4.0 V6 and 5 speed auto combo that's in the 4Runner ever again.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It'll be interesting for sure. On one hand, even if they DO bring out some new utilitarian and more off-road friendly versions you know theyre going to be running high revving small displacement motors, probably with turbos in the V. Toyota does have a reputation for reliability but when the machine is more complex, its just more complex no matter how you frame it. You're never going to get that vanilla ice cream simple 4.0 V6 and 5 speed auto combo that's in the 4Runner ever again.
Just a point of fact but you could never get that 1GR and 5 speed in the U.S., which would be a great combination. The 6 speed gearboxes Toyota used are probably great in the Camaro but I'd have definitely preferred to get the R151F with proper truck gearing.

phsycle

Adventurer
Just a point of fact but you could never get that 1GR and 5 speed in the U.S., which would be a great combination. The 6 speed gearboxes Toyota used are probably great in the Camaro but I'd have definitely preferred to get the R151F with proper truck gearing.

Dave, he did say “5 speed auto” which you can still get in the 4Runner with the 1GR.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Dave, he did say “5 speed auto” which you can still get in the 4Runner with the 1GR.
In my mind, I dunno, I just don't see this self-shifting nonsense having market staying power.

Plus I really don't care for the RA60.

A case of having a hammer so everything looks like a nail?

So are they up to 6 speeds in automatics now? Do they suck, too?

phsycle

Adventurer
In my mind, I dunno, I just don't see this self-shifting nonsense having market staying power.

Plus I really don't care for the RA60.

A case of having a hammer so everything looks like a nail?

So are they up to 6 speeds in automatics now? Do they suck, too?

You really need an MT88. Hoping it makes its way over to the Ranger. 6.588 first/crawl gear.

stationwagonman

Wasn’t dissing them for lack of capability. It’s the lack of functionality as an actual truck... anything less than an 8’ bed is just a glorified SUV marketed to soccer moms and suburban Dads.

As for capability, you might keep up with modded Jeeps here and there but on truly difficult trails with any real obstacles, you won’t keep up with them at all. The wheelbase, weight and lack of solid axles is actually pretty limiting past a certain point. You can’t have it all...

Yup, not possible to use anything less than an 8FT bed as a pickup. It's just useless. It’s silly to buy a short bed midsize pickup! Maybe not a silly as riding a 600lb MC off-road, but you get the idea…

I personally love the smell of gas wafting through the passenger compart, always fun to have a gas can at my side. While it takes a while to clean the carpet after I pick up a bucket of mulch I get to enjoy the smell of gas and cedar. Who needs air fresheners?

And dirt bikes? That new washing machine? A couch? Just hook up a trailer! So much easier to travel with a trailer....

OTOH one could get a 'real' truck. A full size crew cab long bed pickup. But then anyone that’s been in the woods knows smaller is better and only a sillier person would buy a full size crew cab long bed pickup and not expect to find it cumbersome (at best) and severely limited. A PITA in the parking lot or the garage. Fun. Every darn day. All that and 15 mpg vs 21 mpg. Fun!

I do miss my Cherokee though. Good luck with your GX

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yup, not possible to use anything less than an 8FT bed as a pickup. It's just useless. It’s silly to buy a short bed midsize pickup! Maybe not a silly as riding a 600lb MC off-road, but you get the idea…

I personally love the smell of gas wafting through the passenger compart, always fun to have a gas can at my side. While it takes a while to clean the carpet after I pick up a bucket of mulch I get to enjoy the smell of gas and cedar. Who needs air fresheners?

And dirt bikes? That new washing machine? A couch? Just hook up a trailer! So much easier to travel with a trailer....

OTOH one could get a 'real' truck. A full size crew cab long bed pickup. But then anyone that’s been in the woods knows smaller is better and only a sillier person would buy an full size crew cab long bed pickup and not expect to find it cumbersome (at best) and severely limited. A PITA in the parking lot or the garage. Fun. Every darn day. All that and 15 mpg vs 21 mpg. Fun!

I do miss my Cherokee though. Good luck with your GX
Agreed. I've hauled tons of stuff in my 5.5 box. Crew cab with an 8' bed would be a pain in the butt around town.

bkg

Explorer
Agreed. I've hauled tons of stuff in my 5.5 box. Crew cab with an 8' bed would be a pain in the butt around town.

Turning radius is important as well. My tacoma/4runner have better turning radius than my JK... helps make up for some additional length.

one size does not fit all, for sure. I use my 5' box tacoma more than I do the 6.75' box in the f350...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Why do most of these threads turn ultimately turn into pissing matches with butt hurt fanboys on both sides of the aisle? There's no one size fits all option that checks every box and does everything all well. I've realized over the years, like quite a few of you, that I need a truck for truck things and I prefer an SUV for daily stuff and I somewhat prefer them off-road. Yes, even the IFS ones.

We all have different needs, desires, and expectations and not all models can fill those voids in the very same way for every single person. While towing a trailer isn't preferable in many instances, I am finding it quite useful behind my GX as of late and at least I am not having to load my dirt bikes up ramps creating an even riskier situation. That said, I am not opposed to loading bikes in the bed of a large pickup and I plan to do so in the future, but I doubt that I'll prefer it to the ease of loading them onto a trailer. Again, nothing is perfect.

amongmany

Why do most of these threads turn ultimately turn into pissing matches with butt hurt fanboys on both sides of the aisle? There's no one size fits all option that checks every box and does everything all well. I've realized over the years, like quite a few of you, that I need a truck for truck things and I prefer an SUV for daily stuff and I somewhat prefer them off-road. Yes, even the IFS ones.

We all have different needs, desires, and expectations and not all models can fill those voids in the very same way for every single person. While towing a trailer isn't preferable in many instances, I am finding it quite useful behind my GX as of late and at least I am not having to load my dirt bikes up ramps creating an even riskier situation. That said, I am not opposed to loading bikes in the bed of a large pickup and I plan to do so in the future, but I doubt that I'll prefer it to the ease of loading them onto a trailer. Again, nothing is perfect.

?‍♂️ Got me man. I was looking for some pretty simple advice. Got what I needed. Purchased the vehicle weeks ago. I'm surprised this thread is still going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles