Help me pick a Toyota platform? Trying to decide amongst: LX/LC/GX/4R/Taco

moose545

GX all the way, V8, little more nimble and smaller than the 100 series and much more responsive on the throttle.

Beltfed

The FJ Cruiser may have been a flash in the pan in N. America but it was hardly unsuccessful as evidenced with it still being manufactured for overseas markets. Maybe not the SUV for everyone, but likely the best of the lot in the O.P.'s list, imho, with more aftermarket options and support available overall than the GX. Anyhow, good luck with your choice!

amongmany

The FJ Cruiser may have been a flash in the pan in N. America but it was hardly unsuccessful as evidenced with it still being manufactured for overseas markets. Maybe not the SUV for everyone, but likely the best of the lot in the O.P.'s list, imho, with more aftermarket options and support available overall than the GX. Anyhow, good luck with your choice!

'fraid the FJ wasn't on my list. I'm not a fan of the boxyness of them (though a nicely built FJ can look pretty sick). And I've heard terrible things about the visibility from the driver's seat as well as the lack of space for an otherwise not-small vehicle.

Beltfed

Too bad. For the longest time I held similar thoughts, then I drove a friend's and my preconceived notions of the truck were changed.

amongmany

Too bad. For the longest time I held similar thoughts, then I drove a friend's and my preconceived notions of the truck were changed.

?‍♂️ Not terribly concerned. This is going to be a shared daily driver between my wife and myself as well. She never would have gone for an FJ, and I wasn't concerned enough to argue over it.

phsycle

Adventurer
?‍♂️ Not terribly concerned. This is going to be a shared daily driver between my wife and myself as well. She never would have gone for an FJ, and I wasn't concerned enough to argue over it.

I looked at getting one back in ‘07. Then I test drove it. Same experience as you. Blind spots. Smaller than expected interior. Especially the back seat. Motion sickness factory for the kids. Nope.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
'fraid the FJ wasn't on my list. I'm not a fan of the boxyness of them (though a nicely built FJ can look pretty sick). And I've heard terrible things about the visibility from the driver's seat as well as the lack of space for an otherwise not-small vehicle.

I owned two FJC's, a 2008 Trails Team and a 2012 Trails Team manual transmission with full-time 4WD. While I enjoyed them both I think that the GX has it beat in every regard (except for the manual transmission on my 2012). They have horrid blind spots, goofy/awkward suicide rear doors, bad headlights, a round roof line, etc. They were easier to fit larger meats on them and that is a definite downside to the GX and it's oddly shaped wheel wells.

Here is a pic of my 2012 the day I sold it, I think it's in the Denver area now.

DvPNFuY.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I owned two FJC's, a 2008 Trails Team and a 2012 Trails Team manual transmission with full-time 4WD. While I enjoyed them both I think that the GX has it beat in every regard (except for the manual transmission on my 2012). They have horrid blind spots, goofy/awkward suicide rear doors, bad headlights, a round roof line, etc. They were easier to fit larger meats on them and that is a definite downside to the GX and it's oddly shaped wheel wells.

Here is a pic of my 2012 the day I sold it, I think it's in the Denver area now.
I have toyed with the idea of moving to a GX, mostly for the V8, but would hate to lose the rear locker. And I just really like the spartan, rugged aesthetic of the FJC compared to the luxo GX.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have toyed with the idea of moving to a GX, mostly for the V8, but would hate to lose the rear locker. And I just really like the spartan, rugged aesthetic of the FJC compared to the luxo GX.

Six of one....but I get it. Adding the rear locker is easy but it would be nice to have from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne