Help me pick a Toyota platform? Trying to decide amongst: LX/LC/GX/4R/Taco

amongmany

EDIT: PURCHASED A GX470 — THANKS FOR THE INPUT (y)

Title covers it pretty well. I have ~$10-15k (might stretch further for the right build/vehicle) to commit to a new rig and due to the history of reliability, I'm pretty set on a Toyota/Lexus as a starting point.
  • Aiming for a mild build — probably just tires and remove running boards to start and progressing from there based on needs (sliders, small lift, some interior additions). OTOH, if I found a great build for sale, I wouldn't be averse to starting with more.
  • Primary use would be camping/overlanding — no rock crawling, etc. Just want a reliable, comfortable vehicle to get away in.
  • It will be our only vehicle. We're heavily work-from-home, so we can easily go a week without getting in the vehicle. On the other hand, we're based in an urban area (LA) and we'll be street parking, so something that doesn't feel HUGE would be a benefit (especially as my wife is used to smaller vehicles).
  • We likely will not go the RTT route. We'll be primarily in a ground tent when camping, but want the flexibility of sleeping in the vehicle should the situation call for it.
Based on the above, my gut tells me that a GX is the right platform (good size, some luxury features, etc). I've been primarily looking at 470's, but the prices are so inflated right now (esp. in SoCal) that I'm also considering stepping up to an early 460. I do, however, prefer the looks of the older model. That said, I've been cross shopping other vehicles and see some potential benefits:
  • An LX/LC aren't actually much bigger than a GX (4" longer, 2" wider) but offer a little more interior space (as I understand it). Might be nice for those times when we do end up sleeping inside.
    • Is it worth the extra $$? Do they feel that much bigger when driving?
  • For a 4Runner, I'd lean heavily toward a 4th gen but would consider a 3rd gen as well. They're great vehicles, but with the prices I'm seeing, there's not a huge difference between a 4th gen 4R and a GX470 — seems like a no-brainer at that point to go with the Lexus.
    • Am I off base? Is there some benefit to the 4R that I'm missing?
  • If I went the Taco route, I'd do either a Gen 1 or Gen 2 access cab, probably with a camper shell and some drawers in the bed so we could create a sleeping platform.
    • I previously had a Jeep Cherokee XJ — one of my favorite aspects of that vehicle (beyond the perfect size) was how un-precious it was. I didn't have any qualms street parking it. If it got a door ding, etc. it wasn't a big deal. Somehow the Tacoma fits this mold for me a bit more than the other options, but I've never owned a truck and don't really need the bed for anything other than camping.
I know they're all pretty solidly reliable vehicles (with the right maintenance, etc.). Anything I buy will be carefully inspected, maintenance reviewed, and a carfax run. The reality is that I probably can't go wrong with any of them, but I'd love some advice from the hive mind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Out of those... I'd do a 4 door, short bed Tacoma, with a camper shell. The access cab is nice and all, but the 4 door is definitely more usable space.

D

Deleted member 9101

Don’t want a 4-door. At 5ft, the bed isn’t usable for sleeping which makes the truck a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just curious...have you and your wife ever slept in a vehicle together before?

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Decide if you want a truck bed or not, if not, scratch the tacoma...then whichever of you other choices you can find the best deal (mileage, condition, price) enjoy...

DCGibbs

Observer
Since we have an OLD, well used 88-62series, and a 2018 TRD-Offroad, DC, SB Tacoma. I'd look for a 100Series that has been someones grocery getter. Then remove front and rear bumpers, Replacing them with your choice (I'd still go with ARB). 12,000 Lbs Warn Winch, Spare tire on the rear Swing-out. I'm 6' even and have slept in a 50, 60, 62, FZJ80 and 100. There is just that much space in the 100. The plus' are Factory Lockers, V8, etc. AND, it's all self containted in the Chassis. The problem with the Tacoma is that I get all the equipment in the ARE bed cover, covered with a layer of fine dust. It's in my fly-fishing stuff, on the Camp-box, on the Fridge, on the Bag covers, etc. The 100 series is more rigid, than a Truck and bed. In MHO. Gibbs

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd lean towards the GX and 100 LX/LC from that list. They have a more comfortable ride/cabin than the truck, you can sleep inside, they have V8's and tons of real estate on the roof with a flat rack and no RTT. You'll have slightly more room in the LC/LX but you can feel it somewhat when parking in comparison to the GX and they get worse fuel economy as well. LC/LX will tow slightly better and they have a more diverse aftermarket at the moment. MY recommendation is to find the cleanest model with the lowest miles possible within your budget and go from there. Best of luck with your search.

phsycle

Adventurer
Maybe I missed but do you have kids? Because midsize platform gets thrown out the window with kiddos.

If not, from that list, I’d stick with either the GX or 4R. And I’d give the edge to the 4R personally. GX feels solid but also heavier. I like the athletic feel of the 4R better. And for your purposes, 4th gen would be much better. 3rd gen is cool (I’ve had 2), but they’re now dated and finding a pristine one would be hard and expensive. 4th gens ride better and are plenty capable.

Forget LC’s. They’re nice but do not feel small at all. It maybe a few inches of difference compared to a GX/4R but you can feel the girth driving them back to back.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You mention Access Cab and gen 1 and gen 2. Something to realize is Tacomas didn't get the rear doors on extended cab trucks until the 2nd generation trucks, which are 2005 to 2015. The 1995 to 2004 Tacoma is the 1st gen and 2016+ is 3rd generation.

The 1st generation Tacoma XtraCab isn't an Access Cab. You get in the back by climbing around the back seats after sliding them forward. With a dog this can be important. I never much minded loading the pup through the front doors and they'd then climb in the back over the center console. That is until I owned an AC with the suicide doors. Love it a lot more for this and many reasons.

The question is do you need or want a pickup bed. I'm a 6' pickup person but I'm in a minority. Heck, I'd take a 7 foot bed if they still offered them.

One of the problems to watch with on Tacomas is frame rot. The 1st gen trucks are long past any coverage from Toyota and only 2009 and newer trucks have any chance of Toyota replacing them. So if you're buying one older than 2010 make sure the frame is not rusted through.

amongmany

You mention Access Cab and gen 1 and gen 2. Something to realize is Tacomas didn't get the rear doors on extended cab trucks until the 2nd generation trucks, which are 2005 to 2015. The 1995 to 2004 Tacoma is the 1st gen and 2016+ is 3rd generation.

The 1st generation Tacoma XtraCab isn't an Access Cab. You get in the back by climbing around the back seats after sliding them forward. With a dog this can be important. I never much minded loading the pup through the front doors and they'd then climb in the back over the center console. That is until I owned an AC with the suicide doors. Love it a lot more for this and many reasons.

The question is do you need or want a pickup bed. I'm a 6' pickup person but I'm in a minority. Heck, I'd take a 7 foot bed if they still offered them.

One of the problems to watch with on Tacomas is frame rot. The 1st gen trucks are long past any coverage from Toyota and only 2009 and newer trucks have any chance of Toyota replacing them. So if you're buying one older than 2010 make sure the frame is not rusted through.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

Ultimately, I think the SUV makes more sense for our needs. I like the idea of the truck/bed when camping, but realistically that's the minority job for the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online