Help Me Pick a RTT

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Leaning heavily towards the Eezi-Awn Xklusiv either 1400 or 1600. Need to figure out what the roof rack will look like and how much room that will leave to determine the size.
i think thats a good solid choice...and worth the investment.. Just an fyi, i have had my howling moon for over two years now...and we use it alot!! it defiantly has made its self useful. Also makes camping a bit more enjoyable.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Eezi awns are sooo heavy compared to other brands though and their cover is a pain in the *** to get on and off with that ratchet strap. Plus that thing will be HUGE on the back of your avalanche. I honestly don't think it will fit unless it goes on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stryder106

Explorer
The closed dimensions of the Xklusiv 1400 are: 48" L x 55" W x 11" H The closed dimensions of the Xklusiv 1600 are: 48" L x 63" W x 11" H
//
There are two ways to consider the Avalanche back deck size:
//
If I go roof height it is 56"L to the beginning of the back tailgate. Given the rearward sweep of the sail panels - I would lose length the lower I want to mount it. The width can either be 51"W usable bed width to the outer edge of each top panel OR the overall width to the outer top edge of each saddlebag door is 66"W.
//
Since I want it to open over the rear of my truck (that way the annex could be deployed with the tailgate open for access to stuff all enclosed in the event of weather), the comparable dimensions would be:
Tent: 48"L x 55"W x 11"H - weight is #192
Av: 56"L x 66"W
//
Tent: 48"L x 63"W x 11"H - Weight is #205
Av: 56"L x 66"W

Given that, I'm thinking the 1400 might be the better footprint. But, for only $100 - the extra room of the 1600 is very appealing.
//
For comparison, the 23Zero Bundaberg is 48"L x 62"W x 14"H (still really like this tent) - Weight is #150
//
Plus - isn't it heavy compared to other brands due to the higher quality fabric?

Last edited:

mAd mOrdigan

this is great info, i was looking at tepui or cvt but possibly leaning towards cvt for the stargazer model. The hard models all seem to be well out of my budget.

Stryder106

Explorer
Still doing my homework. I built some PVC frames to mock up the closed footprint of the various tents I'm interested in. Given my GF wants to orient the tent so it opens to the rear, I'm definitely needing to go with something in the 1400 or 1.4 range. I'm starting to make calls to get more details, but I'm now starting to lean more towards the Howling Moon 1.4 StarGazer as it seems to rival the Eezi-Awn in quality/durability but has a few features that are really appealing to me: Open roof for looking at stars and stuff as well as a floor in the annex. HM seems to combine the things that were tearing me between the Eez-Awn and the 23Zero (quality vs features).
//
Any additional Holing Moon specific feedback/input? thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94