Help me get started ...

bigworm

Two caveats:

I'm extremely new to the expedition thing, so any help is good help.

No intention at all to start a pure brand discussion.

Here it goes:

I'm looking to build a late model SUV for local and mid-range exploring and I'm kinda stuck in the classic Ford v. Chevy dilemma. Does anyone have any opinions on either the Tahoe or Expedition as a base starting vehicle? I am probably looking at the 2007 and up Chevy and the 2006 and up Ford offerings, but I thought I would pick your brains for info on ability to install a mild lift, racks for storage, dual battery systems and such in either of those two platforms.

Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated!

TheGuyJones

Observer
I currently own a 2005 expedition which is still stock, but I do have future plans for it and have been looking around at things to do with it. I would say there is a bigger aftermarket following for Tahoes (which I am also a fan of as well). I ended up with the Expo due to price (purchased in summer 2008 when gas was above $4.00/gal and no one wanted big SUV's) and because at the dealership I physically had a tahoe (2000-2006 body style) a seqouia (2006 I beleive) and the 05 Expo all side by side to compare. The expo seemed to have the most space behind the third row (obviously not a ton) and with the fold flat seats was really nice. I definitely wasn't thinking expedition style setup for the Expo then, but since have decided eventually i will get a few things done to get out on mild trails. There is a 3" front/2" rear space lift which allows for 35" tires on OEM backspacing. Beyond that will take some creative thinking. I have thought about custom bumpers, but am thinking maybe some rock sliders and then a hitchgate tire carrier for a fullsize spare, roof basket with lights (maybe an RTT) and looking into traction adds for the diffs. I like the Expo and think it could be a great fire road/mild trail rig with lots of storage and smoother rider over them bumper roads.

chasespeed

Explorer
It really depends on your ultimate, realistic goals. The Tahoe, has a solid rear axle, and much stronger aftermarket support.

I am NOT brand loyal.. but, I DO have my preferences. MY PERSONAL opinion, leave the Independent Rear Suspension for the soccer moms and grocery getters.... just too many moving parts under the there for simplicity, and strength.

The OLDER style Expedition, now, that would be neck and neck with me... though, would probably have an advantage due to its higher stance from the factory.

Chase

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I agree with Chasespeed. I would not have anything to do with independent rear suspension. However, I had a 2001 Expedition and it did rather well off road, and had a solid rear axle. You could do well with one of those.

bigworm

Thanks a million for the insight guys!! The IRS issue with the Ford was a topic I had been researching.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Bigworm
... just soaking up the knowledge!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Typically I would agree re:rear independent, but the new Expedition suspension was design by LR and is near identical to the LR3 used in the rest of the world- meaning coils, not air. If your goals are accurate above, I encourage you to try the Exp, even do a 3/2" lift F/R, AT tires, and just get out and enjoy the world. It is way too easy to get wrapped up in the vehicle build and lose all your fun time building a rig instead of using one. Add a winch, and wait until you start getting stuck or cannot get to where you want to before embarking on a huge build....

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
i know this was not mentioned, BUT I used to have a 2005 Dodge Durango Adventurer with the hemi and AWD. I really regret the decision to get rid of it. It did everything i wanted, was very comparable in size to the expo's and the tahoes, and was cheaper... Just a thought.

bigworm

Thanks again guys. I have glanced at other vehicles, but we have three children and need the extra size.

By the way, this forum is fantastic and my "want to do" list has tripled in the past few days.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
Thanks again guys. I have glanced at other vehicles, but we have three children and need the extra size.

By the way, this forum is fantastic and my "want to do" list has tripled in the past few days.

Again, the durango has 3rd row seating. I have 3 children, and 2 dogs, and we all fit in there comfortably... dont dismiss them without taking a look at them, you will be pleasantly surprised. just saying...

Ferr3t

I'm a Ford guy personally, but in this case I would go with the Tahoe. I don't have much faith in the Ford Explorer/Expedition for off road travel and the Chevy's solid rear axle will be a big help IMO. Plus, as mentioned, there is larger aftermarket support for the Tahoe....not to mention a TON of them on the road.
Just my two cents.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Worm, buy an old `Burb´for 2K and use that as your expo vehicle. Then have a second vehicle as your daily driver. Thats your best bet imo.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior