Help me find my next truck. Ford 7.3 or Ram 5.9

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Here are my best option in the area I e found currently. I’ve got a $20k budget, and I think both of these I could negotiate down a bit...

Ford

Ram

Another Ram

I’m leaning toward the first ram. Source Automotive is going to go through whichever one I choose. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350joe

That 7.3 has a lot of extras, pre-smog, and priced well. The Dodges are nice and low milage but will probably cost more in the long run between upgrades and maintenance. I bet that 7.3 sells fast if not already. Don't think you could wrong with any of those choices though.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
That 7.3 has a lot of extras, pre-smog, and priced well. The Dodges are nice and low milage but will probably cost more in the long run between upgrades and maintenance. I bet that 7.3 sells fast if not already. Don't think you could wrong with any of those choices though.

Those Rams are pre Smog too. Just a thought

jonathon

No emissions testing on diesels with a GVWR over 8500 pounds in Oregon but it is a violation west of the cascades to roll coal.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
No emissions testing on diesels with a GVWR over 8500 pounds in Oregon but it is a violation west of the cascades to roll coal.

I have no interest in rolling and coal. Just want an adventure rig with enough GVWR to have a camper, and eventually tow a trailer.

jonathon

I just realized I’ve seen the Ford around town. Looks every bit as clean as it does in the ad. My opinion the Super Duty as a package ages a lot better than the 3rd gen Dodge trucks. Transmission is the only weak spot but the 3rd gen Dodge isn’t going to be any better.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Both trucks will have the tranny as the weak ish spot, dodge more so than ford. Playing devil's advocate, what about a newer V10/6.2 Ford gasser?

Turok

Here are my best option in the area I e found currently. I’ve got a $20k budget, and I think both of these I could negotiate down a bit...

Ford

Ram

Another Ram

I’m leaning toward the first ram. Source Automotive is going to go through whichever one I choose. Thoughts?

I am the owner of the 2002 7.3 F-350. Here are my thoughts: After looking at the Ram trucks, I realize that you do not need all the extras that I purchased for my truck. When I purchased the truck, I added these extras because I was surfing in Baja and skiing quite a bit. However, because I have purchased any number of vehicles in my life, I fully realize that we never recapture our investment dollars spent on accessories like canopies and off road bumpers and winches etc. All told, I have far more money into this truck than I will ever get out of it. I get it. It's fine. It's just the way it works. I figure I will get around a dime on the dollar for all the extras. However, back to my original premise. Because the other trucks you are looking at are gorgeous (I hear great things about them), but without all the extras I realize that you must not need the extras. You are comparing 2 great trucks, to a great truck with a ton of lifestyle driven, after market specialty accessories. So I suggest you let it go and let someone else buy it who will sleep with their dog in the canopy on a beach and use the winch for snowy extractions on the way up to Mount Hood Meadows ski area. By the way, I think your idea of putting this out to the Expedition Portal forum is brilliant. My very best wishes!
  • Proline Fabrication Off road front bumper made in Prineville Oregon. With concealed 12K CSI winch w/braided synthetic line. Wireless remote and standard plug-in controls. Somewhere North of $5,000 with installation of CSI winch.
  • New, color matched toreador red A.R.E. Canopy with fold down/slider front window which allows cleaning of both rear truck, and front canopy windows, with A.R.E. factory installed Yakima Rack w/aero bars. $2,200
  • Yakima Warrior basket with numerical coded lock for full sized spare wheel and tire, mounted on Yakima Tower Rack with heavy duty long round bars. Rack, wheel lock, mounting brackets. $500
  • Satellite radio with blue tooth phone.
  • Weather Tech Laser Cut Mats front and rear. $179. https://www.weathertech.com/ford/20...w-crew-cab/trans_config/auto_w_floor_shifter/
  • Full set of Saddleman canvas seat covers to protect leather seats.

Last edited:

Luckychase5

Adventurer
I am the owner of the 2002 7.3 F-350. Here are my thoughts: After looking at the Ram trucks, I realize that you do not need all the extras that I purchased for my truck. When I purchased the truck, I added these extras because I was surfing in Baja and skiing quite a bit. However, because I have purchased any number of vehicles in my life, I fully realize that we never recapture our investment dollars spent on accessories like canopies and off road bumpers and winches etc. All told, I have far more money into this truck than I will ever get out of it. I get it. It's fine. It's just the way it works. I figure I will get around a dime on the dollar for all the extras. However, back to my original premise. Because the other trucks you are looking at are gorgeous (I hear great things about them), but without all the extras I realize that you must not need the extras. You are comparing 2 great trucks, to a great truck with a ton of lifestyle driven, after market specialty accessories. So I suggest you let it go and let someone else buy it who will sleep with their dog in the canopy on a beach and use the winch for snowy extractions on the way up to Mount Hood Meadows ski area. By the way, I think your idea of putting this out to the Expedition Portal forum is brilliant. My very best wishes!
  • Proline Fabrication Off road front bumper made in Prineville Oregon. With concealed 12K CSI winch w/braided synthetic line. Wireless remote and standard plug-in controls. Somewhere North of $5,000 with installation of CSI winch.
  • New, color matched toreador red A.R.E. Canopy with fold down/slider front window which allows cleaning of both rear truck, and front canopy windows, with A.R.E. factory installed Yakima Rack w/aero bars. $2,200
  • Yakima Warrior basket with numerical coded lock for full sized spare wheel and tire, mounted on Yakima Tower Rack with heavy duty long round bars. Rack, wheel lock, mounting brackets. $500
  • Satellite radio with blue tooth phone.
  • Weather Tech Laser Cut Mats front and rear. $179. https://www.weathertech.com/ford/20...w-crew-cab/trans_config/auto_w_floor_shifter/
  • Full set of Saddleman canvas seat covers to protect leather seats.

Trust me bro, we’d use it. My wife and I have spent over 6 months living in the bed of a Tacoma, and a year living in our Ram 2500 with a 16’ camper that we would put in and out if storage as we rock climbed our way across North America. We now have a two year old, and want an in bed camper for weekending. You’re truck looks rad! Maybe I can take a look at it this weekend?

Turok

Trust me bro, we’d use it. My wife and I have spent over 6 months living in the bed of a Tacoma, and a year living in our Ram 2500 with a 16’ camper that we would put in and out if storage as we rock climbed our way across North America. We now have a two year old, and want an in bed camper for weekending. You’re truck looks rad! Maybe I can take a look at it this weekend?

Of course, this weekend would be fine. Let me know what time would work for you. My days are completely open for the most part. Just bring a face mask with you so that when we take it for a drive we can both be safe. I did not mention in my ad that this 7.3 engine is the ambulance package with 2 alternators. It is my understanding that the extra alternator is wired into the batteries just like the primary. The computer controls the second one to only come on when the load on the batteries calls for extra charge.
Send me an email. kevindonald@charter.net
Cheers!

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
You probably know this already but I'll bet the fender flares on the Dodge's are covering wheel well rust on the bed. I'm a Dodge guy but I'd buy the Ford for the above obvious reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles