Help me dream up the perfect sub $30k rig!

ColeT

A trailer might be viable if you adjust the way you travel.

For example, instead of "through" travel (that is, start at Point A and drive all day until you get to Point B where you set up camp, exploring along the way as you drive from A to B) you might instead "base camp" by traveling to point C, drop the trailer and set up camp, then take day trips out to point A and B and then come back to camp, sleep, and hook up and leave after a few days.

If I should just change my style of camping, maybe I should just suck it up and use the roof tent on the 4runner. Or maybe a hard shell RTT is a better option? Definitely food for thought

ColeT

Think about this more, I believe a small trailer for hauling motorcycles and lumber could be an option. It would be easier to stash when not in use. Then you can get a pickup and build a fairly low profile camper and just leave it set up.

this is also one of my favorite ideas. I don’t “really” have a place to store it meaning I could probably figure something out of this ends up being my best option.

rruff

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. Currently I have a small trailer but I’m relocating to Summit County, CO where I won’t have space to store it. I’m leaning towards a 4dr truck with tall topper/simple sleeping platform and using the rear seats for storage/fridge. Then in a bind I can fit 3 people in the truck. I wonder if there is a style of topper that will fit a motorcycle with the bed empty?

It's easy to make one, and since you are handy, might as well do that. Plywood with some 2x2 framing and a layer of fiberglass outside is cheap and easy. If you don't like FG there are other options.

I'd suggest making it wide enough up front so you can sleep crosswise, and tall enough so you can sit up on the bed and use it as a couch. When in couch mode, there will be ~16" space you can make the bed wider if you have company. In the back you can have storage that is outdoor accessible. You'll also have lots of storage under the couch, and a small cabover. If you make it modular you can gut it when not camping, but you still need a place to put everything, and I don't know if you do.

rruff

Explorer
this is also one of my favorite ideas. I don’t “really” have a place to store it meaning I could probably figure something out of this ends up being my best option.
If it's something you won't use very often that seems like a good way to go. Another option would be to get or build a small camper with jacks and keep it in storage when you aren't using it.

billiebob

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to dream up the perfect rig for my needs and I want to make sure I've looked at all my options. I currently run a heavily modified 4runner with a RTT, but I'm craving a more user friendly interior space. My brother has a simple short bed standard cab Tacoma with a topper and sleeping platform, and I'm constantly jealous of how he can just hop in the back and go to sleep. However, He basically can't use his bed for anything else and with two people in it there's no room for a fridge. I love that my 4runner is always ready to go. Just throw in the fridge and supplies and head off. I just hate the RTT... especially in the rain.

What I've thought of already:
-Teardrop camper with large tires (I don't really have space to store it and I'd rather avoid having to tow anything)
- 4-wheel-camper in the bed of a midsize truck (again I don't really have space to store it and I probably wont be able to do truck & camper for sub $30k)
- 1 ton 4wd van (Do I really want to daily drive a large van?)
- 4 door long bed midsize truck with a topper and removable sleeping platform. This seems like the most viable option but I don't love the Idea of having to remove everything from the bed when I'm home. Also The fridge would have to go in the back seat and I like the idea of having seating for 4 while camping. Maybe I should just accept seating for only 3?

Wants/needs:
-Daily driver
-Interior space (I hate setting up and taking down a RTT)
-Fridge
-Water storage
-Ability to use the vehicle in stock form when I need it (if I have a truck, I still want to be able to load lumber and motorcycles into the bed while around town)
-Seating for 4 while still being setup for overland travel

Am I asking for too much? Does such a rig even exist?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
easy, a Wrangler plus a tear drop. $30K is easy if you sell what you have and buy used. Even cheaper if you build the tear drop and forget all the expensive pieces.

My TJ, seats 4 maybe. $15K
My base trailer $1100, brand new
All the pieces to build my teardrop $800
Camping stuff, Kooltron cooler, Coleman stove, storage, kitchen stuff, $100 thru garage sales.
Leaves $13K for gaz.

If you are not a sucker for advertizing and peer pressure it is easy to Overland on a budget.

DSCN1473.jpeg

My camper box slides out so I can use the trailer for work.

DSC_0047.jpeg

Last edited:

billiebob

Or, buy a used camper. And a used pickup.

Bigger or smaller, they are for sale as a package everywhere.
camper1.jpg

ColeT

easy, a Wrangler plus a tear drop. $30K is easy if you sell what you have and buy used. Even cheaper if you build the tear drop and forget all the expensive pieces.

My TJ, seats 4 maybe. $15K
My base trailer $1100, brand new
All the pieces to build my teardrop $800
Camping stuff, Kooltron cooler, Coleman stove, storage, kitchen stuff, $100 thru garage sales.
Leaves $13K for gaz.

If you are not a sucker for advertizing and peer pressure it is easy to Overland on a budget.

View attachment 579705

My camper box slides out so I can use the trailer for work.

View attachment 579708
As mentioned I'm not super keen on towing a trailer and I also don't have a good spot to store it. Love your camper though! Not much of a fan of jeeps though... I'll stick to my Toyota's!

CampStewart

Observer
My .02 is a Suburban. I know you said you want the option for hauling materials around town on occasion but you can always rent a trailer for that or a cheap utility trailer would be a lot easier to store than a camping trailer.

billiebob

As mentioned I'm not super keen on towing a trailer and I also don't have a good spot to store it. Love your camper though! Not much of a fan of jeeps though... I'll stick to my Toyota's!
Key points were not about the trailer but about how cheap you can keep things, especially if yer handy. Shopping new, $30K will not go far. Used, garage sales, bilt at home you'll have plenty of change to travel with.

Just that my experience since tenting has been trailering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior