Help me decide

Chorky

Observer
Someone intervene before I make a mistake :unsure:?

Lots of pro's and con's on all accounts, See my sig for my current full size rig (which is the one in question).

Attachments

• jeep.pdf
    644.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Ram 1500.pdf
    346.4 KB · Views: 23

dra2120

Personally, I would go Ram...The Jeep just seems far overpriced for what you are getting. The Ram gives you more space, more payload, and a locker for $10K less than the jeep. With ARBs announcement of their new product line for the 1500, that $10k can buy you a lot added off road capability.

Chorky

Observer
True. The bigger question though, is whether or not to even consider a new vehicle and parting with my current truck. Obviously that comes at a high financial cost for a blue collar worker.

That being said - I would lean more toward the Ram. Seeing as how I have a TJ, and drive a 2017 Ram 2500 for work and have beat the crap out of it hard and it just keeps on going like it likes it. But... is that 600/mo payment for 5 years worth it??

billiebob

Seeing as how I have a TJ, and drive a 2017 Ram 2500 for work and have beat the crap out of it hard and it just keeps on going like it likes it. But... is that 600/mo payment for 5 years worth it??
Definitely keep the Ram and overland it. Crazy to buy a sparkling new truck when you know its gonna get pinstriped. Use those $600 blue collar $$$ to build it or travel with it. Buy something new next fall when they are offerring $10K cash back plus zero interest on "last years" stock.

Chorky

Observer
I suppose to clarify, my bad:

1) the earliest I would buy is spring. Likely, it would be after that. However, I do realize the concerns of 20/21 trucks. I think build concerns might extend past 2022 given current climates however - in the end, not really sure what would be a reasonable time to wait or if it's reasonable at all
2) the 2017 Ram 2500 work truck is not my personal truck. It's my government truck. It is used pretty hard, often, and sees more off highway miles than many. I can't speak for the engine much, but I have never had a single worry about it, and have been in a few undesirable situations for a stock truck. This in itself has sold me on Ram trucks. It also has, for me, good ergonomics that I find attractive (especially seating, as I have a bad back)
3) I have come to the conclusion already that a Gladiator is not in my future. Maybe great, but I already have a TJ that would require a lot of life things to happen for me to ever part with it, unlike my OBS. I dont see the need for two Jeeps, especially at it's cost, but a man always needs a truck, even if only a kid sized bed ?

Other thoughts:
1) I recently was thinking no new truck was in my future for at least 10 years. However, just last week, my other government work truck (2020 F150) made me realize the value of factory lockers. It has a rear locker, which I actually needed, while in 4wd, to get out of a snowbank. Not to say lockers can't be aftermarket - but if they are offered factory, why not? And shift on the fly, as I get older....is a nice convenience. My OBS does have TT front and rear by comparison...
2) The other enlightening thing is some good reads recently on the smaller diesel engine, and the near 13K max towing.. WOW iss that actually correct and reasonable? What I do not know is, although it is rated for that, what strain is that putting on the drivetrain. And the true quality of the frame, after seeing recent pics of other manufacturers frames sheering in half. However, likely I will not on a regular basis tow over 8K - maybe 10K once in a while. More realistically I will be maxed or slightly over GVW, just due to how they are rated (pretty easy to max with some gear, a person, a pup, a couple of bikes, a couple of kayaks), and towing 5K while camping. So, if a smaller, lighter truck can do that, why the need for a huge heavy truck. I also am getting older, and broken, so the true off road scene is not me any longer sad to say. Reality is FS roads on a regular basis, which a unmodified truck can easily accomplish. And I have to believe, that, as Idasho put it, new junk is better than old junk, so that engineering of these newer rams should have a larger safety margin piror to something going bad.
2) maybe not a factor, but fuel mileage. I do get 15 in the OBS; however, 22 is attractive, to at least aid in offsetting the cost
3) maintenance - my truck is fully rebuilt; however, it is more and more difficult to find people and places able, willing, and competent in repairing older trucks. My current and foreseeable life future shows the inability to have a garage to do my own service work other than the basics. So I must, sadly, rely on someone else for major repairs. Having a newer more well known vehicle, with more available parts (at the cost of higher repair costs and higher parts costs) is appealing. But maybe not the end-all-be-all.

I suppose to full circle back to the true question, is parting with the OBS (assuming sold at an appropriate price), and moving forward with a newer rig with the same capabilities as the OBS if not more refined at the cost of, well, cost (monthly payments, insurance, licensing), something others have regretted doing themselves. So, to learn from others mistakes, or successes, is what I am after here.

my work truck for perspective of previous posting (item 2 above)

Attachments

• IMG_4329-1-1.jpg
    IMG_4329-1-1.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 17
D

Deleted member 9101

I don't know how the Rams work, but you can get an F150 with a pretty high payload rating and good tow ratings, just depends on what options it has.

Also, I can say that todays 1/2 tons have more HP/TQ than many of the 3/4 tons from previous years.

I have towed 10k behind F150s with the 5.0 and the 3.5. Neither struggled to keep up with traffic.

Chorky

Observer
I don't know how the Rams work, but you can get an F150 with a pretty high payload rating and good tow ratings, just depends on what options it has.

Also, I can say that todays 1/2 tons have more HP/TQ than many of the 3/4 tons from previous years.

I have towed 10k behind F150s with the 5.0 and the 3.5. Neither struggled to keep up with traffic.

Exactly, and it's one reason why I'm looking at this. I didn't realize that the 1500 has a high towing capacity. But options always affect payloads. I'm hoping some knowledgeable folks chime in but this might be in the wrong category of the forum. The 'standard' bighorn with the basic engine has a 1800 pound payload according to their site. The one I built probably is more around 1500, which can be used up quick. But then again, that's probably all I would carry. Or just add bags. I can't imagine needing a 3k+ payload at this point in my life. Recently I have considered a camper on my OBS, but, weight and snow/ice doesn't go well together.

My current project at work has me using a 2020 F150. The only thing I like about it is the seat, which is actually really comfortable for my bad back and forces me to have a good arch. But everything else on it, to me, is not desirable. I would stick with the Dodge. The Ranger could be appealing as it has a smaller footprint even than the 1500, but I think the 1500 would be a better choice due to the tow rating and options available.

The 3.5 definitely has more power than any gas HD truck.
Wonder how it compares to the 7.3 gas.

Not sure but the 3.0 diesel dodge has 480 tq, 260 hp, which is the same as a old 7.3 diesel in stock form. Mine is slightly modified (enough to stay within reliable limits), and probably pushing more toward the 600 tq 350 hp range. But I'm willing to bet the 3.0 diesel handles heavy loads better with improved cooling systems and all. I don't have a need for the larger 6 cyl cummins with, what 900 tq and a 30K towing ability? That's downright awesome (dad has one), but I just don't need that.

86scotty

Cynic
"Do I look fat in this?" I just thought I would throw in the only other question that is always, 100% guaranteed to start an argument along with "help me decide".

krick3tt

Adventurer
Payments are worse than rent. If I can't pay cash for something I won't buy it, my rules but only for me. I'll get it with a card if I have the bucks to back it.
It seems that you have a great vehicle that could just be a bit improved by putting a few bits of TLC into it and have a super vehicle.
The idea of payments of $600 p/m is really chancy, considering the times.
If you can't get add-ons for what you have take the money and have something fabricated, saves you payment dollars and helps somebody out with dollars in their pocket for work that can do, also helping others out feels great.
You asked for help making a decision and there will be a few that will enter an opinion, good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles