Help me decide

D

Deleted member 9101

Payments are worse than rent. If I can't pay cash for something I won't buy it, my rules but only for me. I'll get it with a card if I have the bucks to back it.

I'll use a card to get the "cash back" rewards and then pay it off monthly. I also finance vehicles to take advantage of the rebates, then pay them off.

86scotty

Cynic
"Do I look fat in this?" I just thought I would throw in the only other question that is always, 100% guaranteed to start an argument along with "help me decide".

I should qualify this statement Chorky, because if I had something to offer I would, not trying to just be a ******************. My point was that it's not going to take too long for two guys here to start an argument over the pros and cons of your two choices.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

jadmt

ignore button user
I am 100% happy with my 2020 RAM 2500 build quality. It was a july of 2020 build. why not look at a tradesman with power wagon option? some where around $45K otd. mechanically the same as a PW.

phsycle

Adventurer
The Ranger could be appealing as it has a smaller footprint even than the 1500, but I think the 1500 would be a better choice due to the tow rating and options available.

FYI. The Ram is actually slightly bigger than the F150 (I compared the Crew Cab, short bed). Among the Big 3 half-tons, F150 is the smallest and drives “small.” Bit lighter and more agile, too, in my opinion. If a smaller footprint is important to you, that’s something to consider.

Chorky

Observer
I am 100% happy with my 2020 RAM 2500 build quality. It was a july of 2020 build. why not look at a tradesman with power wagon option? some where around $45K otd. mechanically the same as a PW.

2500 is nice, and although I do really like my work 2500, it seems to be getting into the larger, heavier frame class of my current F350 though. So at that it would be like not really making much of a change - although not that the 1500 is a whole lot smaller (I miss my old '90 Ranger) and in fact I think the 1500 is technically slightly larger, by a couple inches than the PW. I was looking to consider a lighter overall vehicle for better operation on slick goopy roads, and having a lighter vehicle in the need a recovery is necessary, and realizing most likely I wont need to tow such heavy loads. Also for the other reasons already discussed. Although no option is out of the question during this 'figure it out' stage.

1) The PW looks to be 1,500 pounds curb weight more than the 1500, and a max gvw of about 2K more, although with a slightly smaller dimension and wheelbase - by maybe 4" which is weird.
2) I didn't realize the PW has dual lockers so that's cool. of course a 'free' winch is cool too although I would still want a different bumper - you know how the deer out here especially in Evaro!
3) i really like the 'idea' (I have zero technical knowledge yet) of the 3.0 diesel the 1500 offers. can still use a diesel heater in the future since having a diesel tank. I'm very conflicted on a gas engine for a truck. I would be willing to bet there's a pretty significant mpg difference between the diesel 1500 and gas PW even if only towing a small 5K trailer
4) it also seems the PW is a lot more expensive when building online of course. So that has to be considered. 65K for a truck is not reasonable to me, at this point. The 1500 build I attached is really pushing it at that. I think at 60K i woudl scratch the idea, and put that cash into some property instead.

However, some questions that still need researching for answers no matter what the vehicle choice:
1) whats the curb weight (to figure payload) of the 'build' I would choose
2) what axles are in the PW vs 1500
3) are there significant frame/suspension/steering differneces between them that would be a deciding factor aside from the factory front locker in the pw - maybe that can be added in the 1500

Chorky

Observer
FYI. The Ram is actually slightly bigger than the F150 (I compared the Crew Cab, short bed). Among the Big 3 half-tons, F150 is the smallest and drives “small.” Bit lighter and more agile, too, in my opinion. If a smaller footprint is important to you, that’s something to consider.

this is true. however, i really dont' care for the looks or ergonomics of the 150 to be honest. I also have lost a lot of respect for Ford quality vehicles - having been a master tech for them years ago when the 6.0 came out and the types of discussions I had to have with some of the engineers. It kinda ruined 'newer' ford's for me as they seemed to always push the envelope of 'cool features' before existing features were even reliable. except the new ranger looks promising for its size class. But you are correct. Footprint is important. I think more important is capability to weight ratio though. I don't really want to have to deal with a 10K rig getting recovered solo... A 8K rig is much more manageable in that situation. But, for some of the technologies and bennies, I could forgo some of the footprint considerations as a compromise. But, I dont think I would be interested in a new 3500 diesel haha.

jadmt

ignore button user

as far as axels there really is no comparison strength wise. The 2500 is straight axles front and rear vs 1500 smaller rear axle and ifs up front. The PW has the same axles as any 2500 only with lockers front and rear and lsd in the rear as standard.

probably drive off the lot in this PW for low 50's.

Chorky

Observer
Those are nice. the other thing I need to remind myself of is that I'm likely not going to be doing significant off road anymore. And if I do it would be with the Jeep. That's not to say I couldnt' get a big truck with awesome capability. But, if the reality is mostly staying on open FS roads, maybe ones that are muddy and icy, and hauling a smaller camping trailer, or pop-up, then it begs the question of why a big, more expensive, and over qualified truck. Just to put it in perspective. Not that I'm arguing or dismissing what you are suggesting by any means. Just the need to sort out the difference of desires vs. realities - and choose what is most appropriate (which could be nothing and staying with what I have, as some suggested). Of course it is a personal choice.

edit: something else to consider, can a 1500 accept v bar chains on all 4 tires... a potential deal breaker.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
well this is an interesting video. I must say its somethign to consider. My truck certainly woudl go up that little hill with no problems at all. I'm thinking this is due to the air system the guy chose to option, and that a icon dynamics system would resolve this issue??

2020 Ram Rebel Diesel Off Road - YouTube

jaxyaks

Adventurer
If the current truck that you shared pictures with does what you want it to do and goes where you want it to go and your not changing anything, the 2500/Power Wagon should also do the job. Comparing a 1500 and a 2500 is like apples and oranges, advantages and disadvantages to both, one is more robust than the other in every way, one is more comfortable (matter of opinion) The PW will be a lot like your Ram work truck that you seem to enjoy but more capable. If you don't need a ton of payload or towing and like the 1500 the Ram Rebel package isn't bad. With a 1500 you can pretty much pick any of the full sized makers and spec a truck and be pretty similar in payload and towing.....Toyota/Ford/Chevy/Ram I personally don't like the diesels they are putting into the smaller trucks....I am not sure how robust they are going to be, Ram's Eco Diesel had a lot of growing pains. A lot of the Gas trucks are getting decent fuel mileage these days, even the 6.4 in the Rams can get close to 20 unloaded and on the highway. I had a 2500 Ram with the 6.4 and on a long highway trip I could get 18 or so.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Buy a Kia and make everybody angry ..... ok to be honest I didn’t look at the fist post and just wanna stir the pot ..... no no no buy a Mitsubishi and make everybody mad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94