Help me decide

bossman429

Adventurer
So I’m strongly considering a FWC for my young family

I currently have a 100 series land cruiser and love love love the truck. It’s great for tent camping with my 4 yr old and hunting with friends, but now that my son is almost 3 I see our camping trips involving the whole family, including the wife.

So I’m considering getting rid of the LC and buying a FWC. I also have a ‘14 Tacoma, long bed double cab that I could put a fleet model on or get a flatbed for it and get the fleet flat bed model.

My question is for family of 4 (young kids) and a dog, is the fleet/fleet flat bed big enough or will I be wanting more? And is my Tacoma up to the task? From what I see it will be right at the max of its capabilities.

I would also consider trading in the Tacoma for a full size or 3/4 ton truck. While this would add extra expense is it worth it to get a larger camper like a hawk or granby and a larger truck to handle it? I wouldn’t mind more room in the truck itself anyways.

So for those with young families (4 total) with FWCs what’s your experiences and what would you recommend?

justbecause

perpetually lost
I would also consider trading in the Tacoma for a full size or 3/4 ton truck. While this would add extra expense is it worth it to get a larger camper like a hawk or granby and a larger truck to handle it? I wouldn’t mind more room in the truck itself anyways.

i think it would probably be cheaper to get a 3/4 than keep the Tacoma. Tacoma resale value is unreasonably high. 3/4 ton will not require an expensive suspension modification to carry the camper. The camper would be bigger. You will likely get better MPG in a loaded 3/4 ton than a tacoma. Your brake system will be better in a 3/4 ton. Your cooling system will be better in a 3/4 ton. Your steering system will be better. Your interior space will be better.

You’re not going to be happy with four people and a pup in a Fleet. It’s going to be way too crowded. I can’t imagine trying to navigate out for the 2 AM potty break.

As noted above, you would be better off considering a full size truck and camper. My recommendation is to go with a 1 ton truck and full size camper (either pop up or hard side). You could also tow a dinghy behind the big truck for exploring with the family.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
go full size 3/4-1 ton single rear wheel. The advice above is spot on. Lot of options for heavy duty trucks, and larger crew cabs as the kids grow, those tiny backseats get pretty small, and you'll need to get another truck again.

bossman429

Adventurer
Thank you all for the insight. Confirmed what I thought deep down.

It will be a balance between vehicle size and camper space. A crew cab with an 8’ bed is a lot of truck to move around. Especially east coast destinations. I’ll have to get into some vehicles and see what they are like

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Get a 3/4 or 1 ton and a used Northstar 850sc. Lots of room,a toilet and shower,queen bed with underbed storage.
With two adults and two growing kids it would work well. The dog will like it.

hemifoot

Observer
spot on ^^also,however much weight you think you'll carry,double it.kids require a ******** ton of stuff.i have 3 boys and our boat was the trailer for all our extra "stuff".and the cassette toilet?brilliant.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have a 3/4 ton crew cab, short box. Great combo- It had the 6 1/2 ft bed, now a flatbed that 7ft 6inches long. Only thing I would change, is to go to a 1 ton.

Northstar 850sc would be a great fit, they also make a fold out tent bed for that if ordered.

Outfitter Apex 8, would be good. Has a big bed, the bed that is the table, and a bunk bed in a drawer.

Halmary MFg, has a model that will do the same.

I have a traditional RV toilet in my Apex, and am removing it to install a cassette.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne