Help me choose a BUDGET build

Springyut

I need some help and insight into picking out a ride.
Primary Purpose:
  • Escaping to the rocky mountains and hitting some off-road trails. No rock crawling.
  • Base camp for hiking and running, camping with the fam.
  • Occasionally towing a pop-up camper (3,000 lbs) in the rocky mtns.
  • Occasional expeditions.
  • I'm not looking to put tons of money into anything at once, it will be a gradual process.
  • I want something that I can use as a recreational vehicle or take to work if it snows.
  • I want something that will work well stock, without throwing lots of money at it.
What I'm considering
  • 2003 Montero Limited 130k miles, timing belt at 110k. Issue with the temp gauge showing hot, but it's not running hot. fair inside and outside $4000 but can negotiate due to exterior issues and temp gauge.
  • 2000 Trooper, 173k miles, 5 spd, it has a new clutch new timing and water pump. good condition inside and out. $2400
  • 2004 jeep grand Cherokee: 195K miles, V8 good inside and out, like the V8 for the added power and towing. $2400
Any help or info is much appreciated. I'll keep you posted on what I end up with.
Thanks

Attachments

• 110336320_3585733034789860_1509041046464525468_n.jpg
    110336320_3585733034789860_1509041046464525468_n.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200820_161929_2.jpg
    20200820_161929_2.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200820_161915_2.jpg
    20200820_161915_2.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 00E0E_j4INSxVLq9K_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00E0E_j4INSxVLq9K_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 17

buellconvert

I'd pick the Jeep myself, next would be the Trooper and the Mitsubishi would be a hard pass for me. I've had several Grand Cherokees, but never one with the v8, I've heard they can be hit or miss and I've always liked the Troopers and always wanted to get one, maybe someday. I've never heard much good about the Mitsubishis, but then again that doesn't mean it isn't a decent vehicle, but it's almost twice the price as the others and it doesn't have nearly the support for the off-road aftermarket if you choose to make upgrades. That's just my opinion...good luck in your search!

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Springyut

Oh man, I just went down a rabbit hole. From Durangos to Sequoias (which I first considered) to Ford Expeditions. I love the idea of a bigger vehicle with a V8 for towing, just not sure I can justify the cost. And if I look in the same price range they have higher mileage.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just understand that if your price point is <$3000, expect to have to put some money into it just to keep it running. Vehicles in that price range are going to have north of 150,000 miles on them and will likely be 15 - 25 years old.

I'd echo the others saying Suburban/Tahoe except that if you are staying under $3000, you are either looking at a very high mileage (250k+) GMT800 model or (more likely) an older GMT 400 model. The 400's are more reasonably priced but that's because they're older - the "newest" GMT 400 is now 20 years old. They are also much more "truck like", in the sense that the Suburban/Tahoe's of that era have leaf springs in the back vs. the coils that the GMT-800 models had.

I've always been a fan of the Trailblazer/Envoy vehicles, even though they were kind of "orphaned" by GM. The I-6 has pretty decent power for its engine size but AFAIK it wasn't used in any other vehicle. Of course, being a GM, they used common parts as much as possible, so the "orphan" thing isn't as much of an issue as it might be with, say a Montero or a Trooper, both of which have disappeared from the US market.

IOW, if you need a new alternator in Resume Speed, Montana, the local NAPA or Advance is almost certainly going to have one in stock.

The best thing about a TB/Envoy is that from what I've seen, 99% of them are Soccer Mom mobiles that have rarely, if ever, been off road. Contrast that with, say, an XJ Cherokee, where around here it seems like every XJ has been Sawzalled and rattlecanned and lifted 6" to be some high school kid's play toy.

The weakest point of any of the GM vehicles is going to be the 4L60 transmission. That is particularly true if used for towing. If you plan on towing your first mod should be the biggest transmission cooler you can put on.

A 2nd or 3rd gen Expedition can be had in that price range as well, or perhaps a bit higher. Some of the Expeditions with the 5.4 engines had issues with the spark plugs (was it the 3v engines? not sure) but there are quite a few of them on the road still.

Springyut

wow, tons of info, sure glad that I asked before getting anything. I think I would have been kicking myself. I was not aware that the trailblazers were even much and an option. I was shocked by their towing capacity. Just found a trailblazer in the area, a 2004 LT ext, with 160k miles on it with the V8. I'll have to see if it has the G80 locking diff.
But man, the whole search is wide open again. Keep the feedback coming it is certainly a big help.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
1st gen Durangos are nice and cheap. 98-99 5.9 models are my go to. Should be able to score one for less than 2k. I don't like the later models as I'm not a fan of rack and pinion. If that doesn't bother you than newer models are available too...

alanymarce

As you can probably guess from the avatar I'd go with the Montero. Ours has done a great job for us. Change the belt.

MTVR

Buying an old hoopty with two spins on the odometer for the kind of money you're talking about, is going to be the equivalent of purchasing someone else's past-due maintenance and repair bills. Who knows what kind of maintenance, if any, it has received.

We went a different route, and purchased an ex-military vehicle at auction that only had about 3,000 miles on it, and had been maintained by the book with no expense spared, as if someone's life depended on it.

It was a bonus that we snatched it up for $235,000 off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior