Help Me Buy This Rover!

Ala5ka

VX'er
I want to buy this Rover

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/3335398527.html

The only problem is I don't know what I'd be getting myself into.
Is there any reason I should not pick this up? What are the common problems with this model?
I don't have unlimited funds and it would take a considerable amount of time to restore. Worse yet I'd be using it as a DD :Wow1:

Suggestions?

3G33Mb3Ic5Ed5K35J6cac489fd5a680ba1979.jpg

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
A daily driver into Anchorage? On the Glenn? In the winter? Could be done, but I think you could do better for your goals. It's a unique vehicle, and although many of the parts interchange with Series Land Rovers, there are parts that don't cross. Depending on the overall condition of the vehicle, you could be looking at a money pit. What am I saying, it's a Land Rover, so of course you're looking at a money pit.

You might contact aka rover via PM, since he's plugged into the Series scene up here. At the very least, he can give you an idea of what to look for.

Ala5ka

VX'er
I have another DD for now but do these rigs have any catastrophic problems that occur with these models? Also do they have heaters? I only drive 5 miles to work and not on the highway ;) if I do take it for a prolonged journey what can I expect for a top speed? MPG? Is it hard to drive on the right side? Any special rust areas that I should check for? Any running parts that normally go out chronically? Parts availability?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Let's start with the obvious- that vehicle was made almost 45 years ago. Any vehicle of that vintage that hasn't had either meticulous maintenance or a restoration of some sort performed is going to need work. There were between 1500-2000 of them made between '68 and '72, for use by the British military and about other 20 countries. They aren't exactly a dime-a-dozen in the States. If the steel body parts, aluminum body panels, and frame are in decent shape, you should be able to source the majority of what you need to keep it running smoothly and safely from US and UK vendors. It won't be cheap, though. The little parts are what kills you, although the big parts have come close with me.

Unless it's a model designed for arctic use, expect the heater to be anemic at best. Top speed is pretty much dependent on the engine condition, but don't expect more than 50MPH. Brakes were designed to stop the vehicle at circa-1965 speeds. The steering is manual. Learn to double-clutch, because I don't think 1st or 2nd are synchro. Gas mileage varies by use, but don't expect economy out of an engine design that dates back to the late '50s. Steel has a shelf life, especially unpainted/untreated steel in harsh climates, and steel and aluminum in close proximity leads to galvanic corrosion. If it's not leaking oil, chances are it's empty. Reliability is completely dependent on your skills as a maintainer.

Like I said, talk to aka rover. He will have some good advice for you, and if you're interested he might be able to find the Rover you're looking for (he's been known to have one or two sitting around). If you're dead-set on a Lightweight, this might be your only chance in the Anchorage area. That said, I found out the hard way that a tempting price on a Land Rover usually foreshadows years of pain and heartache. Go in eyes wide open.

Old Rovers are the coolest things out there, but they're not for everyone.

ROVER-1

Observer
Buy it! If it doesn't sell and the owner sits on it until next summer I'll find a way to get my hands on it and it will get turned into a trail only rig that will surely get me into more predicaments than my Classic has. This has shown up on c-list a few times and each time my wife has gone screaming out of the house cursing the very existence of such a machine.:ylsmoke:

Alaska Mike and aka rover will be your best guides on this one. I do believe aka rover has worked on this a little at some point and I'm sure he can give you some very straightforward insight.

If you buy it and want to wheel it---- I'll be more than happy to organize a few trips in your honor.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Very cool truck....But, under the sheet metal they are really no different than any other series short wheel base. Research what the typical issues are with series trucks and that truck may have the same. First place to start? Rust...in the frame and bulkhead specifically.

Have you ever driven a series truck? If not, do so before you buy. It isn't for everyone. Daily driving a series takes a unique personality. Driving one in AK every day would be challenging even for the most die hard (or hard headed) series enthusiast. For most new buyers the dream of series ownership ends up being much different than the reality.

Just continue to do your homework first. Hope you buy it though. Looks like a great project.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Driving a series, you either love it or you hate it. Some people just like a challenge :) and I love it

rijosho

Adventurer
You could probably answer most of your own questions by just going to see this truck in real life person, first. Have you done that, or contacted the seller yet? Bring a screw driver and poke around at the frame - it'll be pretty obvious to the eye how much rust it has, unless it's been covered in waxoyl or hiding it well.

dcproven

Adventurer
If you like to work on your trucks, buy it, I have a Series III and they are fun, lot of work, but fun.
Expect leaks everywhere, mine had transfer, overdrive and a diff empty when I bought it, but if it turns and moves OK, no funny stuff with the gears, you should be able to fix most of the stuff easily.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Thank you guys! The help has been much appreciated, and I'm glad to know there is a community of Rover enthusiasts waiting eagerly to help. I'm going to call and set up a test drive today, I'll wear my coveralls and expect to get dirty :)

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
The other caveat to the LW is short leg room. I have no first hand knowledge but second hand information states that the trucks foot well was shorter than the Series and the dash panel lower and closer ... and if you are anything over five eight, you'll be folded up like a pretzel driving it.
I have a friend that had one in parts working on a restoration, and I remember when he got it ... thinking ... it had probably at some point been dropped from a plane with a chute. Not many trucks can say that.

D

denisimo

$3,200 for a bucket of bolts with a LR emblem?? No thanks.

For that amount you can get a D1 or D2, or a Jeep wrangler.

Dont buy it, it screams money pit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94