Help me build my rig to drive around the world!

Dake21

Adventurer
Do you mind sharing where you heard this?

I'd like to get a list of options for body lifts for the 2006+ Grand Vitara, which may be helpful to anybody planning a similar build:

Rocky Road: 2.125" Lift. $249 – Consists of steel over the top style strut spacers, steel rear spacers, camber alignment bolts, and RRO rear shocks. Link

Ironman 4x4: 540mm Lift. $839 – Consists of FRONT & REAR 40mm RAISED HEIGHT Coil Springs and L/T Nitro Gas Front Struts, L/T Nitro Gas Rear Shocks. Link 1 Link 2

Jimnybits: 2"/50mm Lift. £334 – Consists of Pro Comps ES1000 rear shocks, upgraded reasprings, 50mm solid steel billet front strut spacers. Link

Trail Master: 2"/50mm Lift. $??? – Looks like theres several different version of this kit out there, or there used to be. Some seem to come with body spacers and other don't. Link 1 Link 2 Link 3

Dodinson: 40mm-50mm Lift. $??? – Consists of Coil springs, front and rear. New shocks and camber adjustment kit. Link

Let me know if I've got any of this wrong and I'll correct/update.

The ironman lift is 40mm not 540mm(?) and with time could go down to 35mm. The CVs sit level with this lift, as they are at an upward angle with the factory suspension.

I've read quite a bit of negative comment on the Dobinson lift, apparently they ride rough and it is noisy.

You also have outdoor auto 4x4 that sells lift and I've read good comments about them, but I have no experience with it.

Lot of people says the RRO strut are too stiff for the weight of the vehicle and the people I know (well in the forums) change the struts for better ones.

dcbryan

Observer
Thanks Dake21

I can't find where Outdoor Auto 4x4 sells their lifts, looks like there site has shut down outdoorauto4x4.com. Any idea if they're still in business?

Do you mind explaining the advantage (and justification in cost) of Ironman vs Rocky Road lift?

The ironman lift is 40mm not 540mm(?) and with time could go down to 35mm. The CVs sit level with this lift, as they are at an upward angle with the factory suspension.

I've read quite a bit of negative comment on the Dobinson lift, apparently they ride rough and it is noisy.

You also have outdoor auto 4x4 that sells lift and I've read good comments about them, but I have no experience with it.

Lot of people says the RRO strut are too stiff for the weight of the vehicle and the people I know (well in the forums) change the struts for better ones.

Crikeymike

Adventurer

There were some problems in the past with Jeep Grand Cherokee struts, but no noise complaints that I'm aware of with Dobinsons Suzuki suspension.

OP, did you work out an overall plan for how you're going to build it? I love the Vitara/Grand Vitara lineup, had quite a few early on in my 4x4 career.

Dake21

Adventurer
Thanks Dake21

I can't find where Outdoor Auto 4x4 sells their lifts, looks like there site has shut down outdoorauto4x4.com. Any idea if they're still in business?

Do you mind explaining the advantage (and justification in cost) of Ironman vs Rocky Road lift?

Damn sorry, that really flew over my head...

It depends. The ironman springs are very stiff, my rear doesn't compress (more or less half an inch) when I jack it up from the lower arm. I like it because it doesn't sag when I tow and I do not bottom down on uneven terrain. The struts are also a bit bigger and are gas filled so they won't overheat if they work too much. The lift is more for packing heavy and travelling long distance I think. The ride is stiffer but I find it more comfortable because there is a lot less body movement when going over bumps.

The RRO kit is cheaper and you keep the same spring it if you like it as it is. It will flex up and down but won't help you stay level if you tow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles