Help me build my rig to drive around the world!

Freeradical

Hi everyone I am new to the forum but a long time reader!

I have been dreaming of doing a long trip from AK to Cape Horn and possibly further! It is finally time to start building! I have been tooling around with what would suit my needs best and I will line out my criteria and my current vision.

Criteria:
I am looking for a budget rig that is under the radar. Ideally something that my SO and I can sleep in or put a roof pop tent on. I am looking to do this as an ultralight experience (used to backpacking around countries, so having a vehicle will be a luxury). I am interested in going to remote locations so 4x4 capability is essential. Something that gets good mpg is a plus!

Current vision
Grand Vitara/Tracker (1998-2004) ~3-5k with 100k miles
I would mod it with suspension lift (OME Heavy or Medium), winch and tube bumper, internal storage/organization, roof top pop tent, larger tires, compressor, skid plates, ect. I would be doing most of the work myself to bring down costs. Any other must haves? Any of these mods non-essential?

I still am not sure if I should go with the V6 or I4. Any thoughts on that? Loaded down would the difference in mpg be that notable? How about reliability of V6 vs I4? How about capability difference in sand and mud?

With some good Craigslisting I expect I could do the full build in under 8K (seem realistic?)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge in advance! I am supper excited over here!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

Freeradical

Thanks looks like a great resource! Now I have yet another distraction at work.... :)

I love tdi swaps btw, wish I had the space to make it happen (on my project bucket list).

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You might want to look for an xl-7 model as they are longer in back and so would allow sleeping in the rear. They only came with the V6s - but that should be ok as they were good on gas ft ROM what I've heard. I would avoid a rooftop tent as it will reduce the mpg a lot.

Freeradical

I am still hunting for the right rig. Craigslist is my best friend. I would do an xl-7 but the MPG is too low for me since the majority of those came with v6 auto setup. I am keeping an eye out for a manual one though :D

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I wouldn't limit yourself just to the Vitara. There are plenty of other possibilities. Some that are fairly inexpensive to get a hold of include the Montero Sport, Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport, Kia Sorrento, etc. If you're open to a CUV, there are also numerous possibilities there.

Dake21

Adventurer
Low profile, light weight, good on gas and a true 4x4: you just described a grand vitara.

Get an auto V6 with all the extra weight you will want the extra low end torque of the V6 and they don't take that much more fuel than the 4 cyl. The manuals sometimes have bearing problems.

Speaking of weight, is a steel bumper really necessary to you? More weight means less fuel economy and, well, more weight. I doubt you will be pushing rocks and trees and for such a long trip I'd rather focus on fuel range.

Why a roof tent? This will reduce your highway MPG because of the extra aerodynamic drag. I'd rather get a ground tent or as Haf-E mentioned a XL7 and sleep at the back (there's one in my area for 1200$, I'm tempted myself) They are essentially the same as the grand vitara but longer.

So bottom line, I would try to keep it as stock as possible. Put a small lift and good tires on it and that's it. Yeah it's boring, but its most likely to be more practical and less likely to be stolen. Plus you wont be working against the vehicles philosophy (why taking a lightweight, low payload vehicule and adding a F tons on gadjets on it? Counter productive in my book.) You said you are used to travel lightweight with only a backpack so there should be NO reason the GV will be enough for yourself.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You might also want to consider an Astro/Safari van - which don't get the greatest gas mileage - but would probably match the mpg of other rigs with a rooftop tent on top.

Also agree with dumping the tube bumper and winch - keep it simple, light and low profile. A winch, big bumper and rooftop tent just screams "I'm a foreigner with money"...

Freeradical

Thanks for the responses!

OK here is my revised list after considering many factors:

Ditch the rooftop tent and fancy bumpers. I agree not worth the loss of mpg and defeats the low profile.

Just do the basics to it. Minor lift, rubber, and some low profile lights. The interior would get most of the work (tinted windows, sleeping platform, light gear ect)

Here is an XL-7 by me :D https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5461403566.html

I am not convinced the XL-7 is the way to go. I want to go ultra light similar to this setup(see the pics of the sleeping platform, I know it is a different vehicle):
http://www.suzuki-grandvitara.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246&sid=5f28135e46ff28c7207e2998dd0ad228

I like the idea of getting 25+ mpg, the simplicity of a 4 cylinder, and I would go with a manual or auto at this point with that setup. The auto XL-7 is getting closer to 18 not driving on bumpy backroads and its weight/size makes it less nimble offroad.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
In my opinion, you should start by studying the travels of other RTW travelers to see what worked and what didn't work for them. The Turtle Expedition, Drive Nacho Drive, etc. all have a lot to teach us about what it really takes to go RTW and how to manage your expectations.

Brad and Sheena, for example, were much less weather-independent that late iterations of the Turtle truck (i.e. they had to keep their travels to more temperate seasons and locations).

I don't recall reading any RTW stories, and hardly even any long single-continent journeys, where there wasn't a major mechanical breakdown, so that becomes your next criterion - not just can you fix what might break, but will you be able to get (or carry) the parts you'll need to fix it.

Dake21

Adventurer
hmm well the new GV will be more comfortable, more roomy, has permanant 4 wheel drive if you are into that and can tow more.
The negatives are less fuel efficient (because of Full time 4wd and heavier weight) heavier, the suspension isn't as strong and it isn't as low profile as the older one. Also the front lower arms bushing are known to fails and even more so when lifted. I have 65,000km on mine and the bushing are still good but some people had them fail before that.
However I'm going to dare and say the 4wheel drive capability of the newer one is better because of traction control (not sure if this one has it?) and among all trucks and SUV I've test driven two years ago it was the best to soak bumpy dirt roads (however mine is a 2013 and the suspension was updated since 2009 so YMMV.)

dcbryan

Observer
Just wanted to share this image with you. I don't know anything about the build, or even where the image originally came from, but I thought it looked pretty sweet.

deuQIxE.jpg

Good luck!

Dake21

Adventurer
Well that is refreshing to see a grand vitara here. The front strut is white so that let me believe he has an ironman4x4 2'' lift kit, which is what I have. The rim are the stock 16'' . I don't know about the bumper tho, but it looks great! Grand vitara are very underrated and they are a solid choice if you are looking for a compact 4x4.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Wow, that Grand is super sweet. I'd love to see the build and find out who did the front bumper..

One thing to consider when you're thinking about 4cyl vs 6cyl and MPG, is that the mpg of the V6 should be less effected by all the extra weight. Loading your rig down may bring the MPG numbers of each motor closer together as the 4cyl will have to work much harder to lug the bigger tires and the extra load around.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles