help make the right choice

98dango

Expedition Leader
I find my self in a rare position. I have no rig to explore in. This winter I killed my snoma and messed my self up to. I loved it but in thinking i want more space. Ok here is the deal. We as in girlfriend and I go on many trips a year. We typicly do more of a roving camp with a few longer base camp trips. The rig must fit on trails and haul all our stuff. I grew up in washington with mud bog and rockcrawling. My dad still lives there he is a mech at a offroad shop. I worked there for 5 years and have to keep up with the old man on our father son trips back home. So the rig must be trail worthy I know a fullsize fits the need but it will get bashed keeping up with dad. I would like to be able to sleep in it but not the main golal. We explor bear country often some time she feels safer in the truck cuddling with here 45S&W and our things in the tent. The other problem is money tickets doctor bills life have left me short.

these axles and lift will go under what ever
44/14 bolt 4.10 gear
4" lift springs dodge and gm

ok the rigs in no order

cost of these are free most parts to fix free just my labor

78 ramcharger full cage

76 dodge crew cab short box

83 dodge st cab long box

83 chevy st cab long box

I am leaning to the ram charger myself but not sure on space

Gregz

Observer
I have a 87 ramcharger and I love it. probably not enuff room to sleepin tho. I have a 360, 4spd. so far its been a unstopable beast.

chasespeed

Explorer
I would also add, if possible, Full Size Bronco, and K Blazer...

EDIT, missed the part about those being free....

I would go with the Crew Cab Dodge, or the Ramcharger... both have ups and downs..... me PERSONALLY, I would probably go with the Crew Cab, get it rolling... and build up a driveline over time...

Chase

98dango

Expedition Leader
Both the ramcharger and crew cab need the same ammount of work. My worrie with the crew cab is when i wheel with my dad its long and that is a lot of body. I will be running a 360 4spd 205 in either dodge

As far as sleep i dont need alot of space nither of us are over 5.9 and our combined weight is 310

TheGuyJones

Observer
Any of those would be kick-a rigs. I like the idea of either of the standard cab-long bed setups. But sounds like the Ramcharger would be the way to go if you are concerned about keeping up in the woods with your Dad. Plus you already have a full enclosure for all your gear (and sleeping) versus any of the trucks.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Go with the ramcharger or maybe the long box Chev since you already have a rear end for that truck. The short wheelbase of the Ramcharger is more suited for 4by4ing and rock crawling so if you have some parts for that rig, then it is probably your best bet.:smiley_drive:

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
Ramcharger all the way... I have a '92 and love it on the trail. I had a '83 that was a beast. First chance you get ditch the front axle for something with lockout hubs. That full time, pressed bearing set up is not good at all. I run 3/4 ton truck axles (Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear out of a '90P/U) in mine. It is pretty much a direct swap and will work great with the 205.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I just got off the phone with my buddie the title for the ramcharger is in the glovebox. :wings::wings:

So I will be out to the junk yard tonight and start with the collection of parts.

Here is what i have to install change
360 from a 79
435 4spd 78
205 from 80

swap out front clip for 84 in much better shape
change doors to manual

down the road

44 front diff gm dodge hybrid
14 bolt rear

98dango

Expedition Leader
So yesterday I drug the ramcharger to the shop:wings:. I have pics just dont know how to upload them. The project is on its way. This weekend I will pull the engine trans and t-case. The build should pick up speed now as I am single :Wow1:

Gregz

Observer
Your gonna love the RC, the biggest problem with mine is it gets about 10 mpg, but its so much fun to drive I just keep drivin it lol

98dango

Expedition Leader
The mileage has never botherd me. I plann to have it compleet in the next month and on my way back to oregon.

98dango

Expedition Leader
no real work has been done today. I planed out the rear storage sleeping area.

you basicly have a 6x6 box to work with

so 2foot wide in the front bed area with gun/misc storage under it 18" wide on the pass side seating storage and 18" wide tabel storage on the left 34" walk way in the middle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94