HELP!!!!! Looking for a 3 man tent

EMD1

Hey guys, looking at getting a 3 person ground tent for the family when we do overland trips, but don't want to break the bank. Weight and size does not matter, wont be hiking with it.
Was actually looking the gazelle t3 tent, does anyone here use one and if so, what do you thing about it.
If not does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy, trying to get the budget around $300.00. thanks

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I’m not familiar with the tent you cited, but I personally really like the REI BaseCamp tent. I have both the 4 and the 6. The 4 is an excellent true three person tent.

I second the REI Tent recommendation. They have good models, good design, good construction and durability. Good pricing as well.

-M

outback97

Adventurer
That Gazelle looks interesting but wouldn't work for me at only 76" in either direction. I'm that height so it'd leave no room for sleeping bag loft or even stretching my feet out. I'm also dubious about their little rain fly on it.

For three people, you really should get a four man tent. As others mentioned, REI does make good ones. We have also had good luck with Big Agnes and Marmot tents. But the REI's might be the best value.

EMD1

I will have to check out the REI tents then. The reason I was looking at gazelle tents, is because I did see several people with them at expo east this year.
I'm a short guy so the room wouldn't be an issue. I do wonder about the rain fly also, and will it cover enough to keep you dry.

CCH

Adventurer
If this is for vehicle based, family use, I would not go with a three man tent. Bigger is definitely better, especially if you get stuck in it for a while due to weather. I'd go at least four man, and six would be better. The Big Agnes Rabbit Ear series is probably worth a look in that price range. They offer a pretty good warranty on their stuff. I have the REI Half-Dome 4, and it has been a good little tent. However, if you don't need it to be light, I'd definitely look for something you can stand up in.

dreadlocks

used a Coleman Montana 8 for a 3-4 seasons after the REI basecamp 6 for almost a decade, both were good tents that held up to some crap weather conditions.. REI was a ton more money that looking back I dont think was really worth it once kids and dogs got thrown in the mix.. first it was just me and my girl, then we added a big dog, then a lil boy, then a lil dog.

With the family growing the Montana was better in the end, more space was nice in bad weather and ended up getting more sexxy time w/the wife with kids mattress >6ft away from us.. plus it was cheap enough I didnt get all worked up from the unavoidable damage that comes from dogs and kids in a fabric shelter.

Last edited:

F350joe

I have the 4 person gazelle and love it. Waaay better quality than what you expect for the price and it is very well thought out. The bowed out walls give you the entire floor space, I’m 6’4 and walk around in it. Removable floor is nice, the fly goes on super easy, without the fly you get the full view of the sky, and you can’t get a faster set up and take down. Only draws backs are the size of it packed down, everybody from the campground checking it out and the doors are little awkward but those are minor issues. Material is much thicker and zippers much beefier than I expected for the price.

Saint Nick

There are many choices of tent in your price range, but if you're looking at 3 man tents go at least one size up, and I'd look for one that has good blackout quality also.

Nick.

EMD1

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will be headed to Nashville (REI), this weekend and check out there tents and then make a decision. I think it will be between REI and gazelle tent.

gunsandgearnetwork

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will be headed to Nashville (REI), this weekend and check out there tents and then make a decision. I think it will be between REI and gazelle tent.

I would look at some reviews on YouTube about any of your choices. Here is a video about the Kodiak that shows just how durable they are. These things are pretty much bomb proof!

outback97

Adventurer
I would look at some reviews on YouTube about any of your choices. Here is a video about the Kodiak that shows just how durable they are. These things are pretty much bomb proof!

We have a 9x8 Kodiak and it's a great tent. I was going to suggest it (or a Springbar) to the OP, but didn't because of the budget constraints. That being said, I was able to purchase one from their warehouse outlet here for under $400, so it's not much of a stretch budget wise.

My main dislikes with it are the requirement that it be staked, and the time needed to setup and take down. Some places we've camped it's impossible to set up due to the ground being too rocky. I'm in Utah and most of our camping is in this region, so that's obviously a factor. More than once we have traveled with a small backpacking tent as a Plan B and had to settle for that because we couldn't set up the Kodiak.

IMO it's great for trips where you're staying more than one night in the same place, provided you can get the stakes in to set it up. Have you had any trouble with yours finding a suitable site?

gunsandgearnetwork

We have a 9x8 Kodiak and it's a great tent. I was going to suggest it (or a Springbar) to the OP, but didn't because of the budget constraints. That being said, I was able to purchase one from their warehouse outlet here for under $400, so it's not much of a stretch budget wise.

My main dislikes with it are the requirement that it be staked, and the time needed to setup and take down. Some places we've camped it's impossible to set up due to the ground being too rocky. I'm in Utah and most of our camping is in this region, so that's obviously a factor. More than once we have traveled with a small backpacking tent as a Plan B and had to settle for that because we couldn't set up the Kodiak.

IMO it's great for trips where you're staying more than one night in the same place, provided you can get the stakes in to set it up. Have you had any trouble with yours finding a suitable site?

For hard ground use the long lag bolts and a cordless drill. Some people have switched to that method altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles