Help - Insuring Freightliner FL60 Ambulance

Zzeke

<edited to add, I got insurance thru Allstate today>

Folks, first post. My name is Zzeke, and I'm getting my feet wet building my own custom quarters on wheels. My first stint in living in a box happened about a decade ago when I bought an old but very well made (and well appointed, I might add) Class A motorhome. I lived in that for nearly 5 years off and on the grid.

I'm about to buy a 2002 Freightliner FL60 "VAN" (aka ambulance). It was made by Medic Master.

I'm pretty excited about it, at the moment waiting for the owner to get the brakes working. He fixed the air leak, so picking it up is imminent.

My first challenge as you might guess, is getting insurance.

I do plan to convert the title eventually to "motorhome" status, but first I need to get it home, do a few short shake down cruises to suss out any powertrain / chassis issues I'm not aware of, get repairs if necessary....

I did some googling yesterday, and tried Progressive, Geico, USAA (which went to Liberty Mutual) and so far, no go.

I realized after more googling, that using the word ambulance is a big no no. I only used the word with Progressive and Liberty. No reply from Geico.

I have read another thread from a few years back on this subject, was hoping for some updated info or some tips to help me get it home. I say updated info, because it seems the landscape has changed.

Commercial Insurance

I was asked yesterday "personal or commercial". Ultimately, it'll be personal, but if it's titled commercial and that is the only way to get it insured to drive it (not to camp in it or anything else) are there any specific requirements for a commercial policy? Tax ID, CDLs or such?

I have heard of folks talk about "commercial policy for personal use" where they realize you're not a business, but issue the insurance to you anyway because it's a commercial vehicle. Which companies out there do these kinds of policies and how do you ask for it? The minute I said "personal" they said "we're sorry we can't help you". So what do I do, just tell them commercial to get insurance going?

Any overwhelmingly positive experiences for Freightliner?

Folks say all the time "my ford E350 was easy to insure" but the word FORD is not in itself a red flag. I believe that experiences dealing with insuring for "vans" are not going to be in the same ballpark as the freightliner, which is automatically flagged as commercial.

Like I said, I'm not looking to mislead them, but need to get it home and work on the transformation of the title which ought to fix this issue correct?

Thanks, appreciate any help you can offer

Zz

Last edited:

HazeltheMooseWagon

Folks, first post. My name is Zzeke, and I'm getting my feet wet building my own custom quarters on wheels. My first stint in living in a box happened about a decade ago when I bought an old but very well made (and well appointed, I might add) Class A motorhome. I lived in that for nearly 5 years off and on the grid.

I'm about to buy a 2002 Freightliner FL60 "VAN" (aka ambulance). It was made by Medic Master.

I'm pretty excited about it, at the moment waiting for the owner to get the brakes working. He fixed the air leak, so picking it up is imminent.

My first challenge as you might guess, is getting insurance.

I do plan to convert the title eventually to "motorhome" status, but first I need to get it home, do a few short shake down cruises to suss out any powertrain / chassis issues I'm not aware of, get repairs if necessary....

I did some googling yesterday, and tried Progressive, Geico, USAA (which went to Liberty Mutual) and so far, no go.

I realized after more googling, that using the word ambulance is a big no no. I only used the word with Progressive and Liberty. No reply from Geico.

I have read another thread from a few years back on this subject, was hoping for some updated info or some tips to help me get it home. I say updated info, because it seems the landscape has changed.

Commercial Insurance

I was asked yesterday "personal or commercial". Ultimately, it'll be personal, but if it's titled commercial and that is the only way to get it insured to drive it (not to camp in it or anything else) are there any specific requirements for a commercial policy? Tax ID, CDLs or such?

I have heard of folks talk about "commercial policy for personal use" where they realize you're not a business, but issue the insurance to you anyway because it's a commercial vehicle. Which companies out there do these kinds of policies and how do you ask for it? The minute I said "personal" they said "we're sorry we can't help you". So what do I do, just tell them commercial to get insurance going?

Any overwhelmingly positive experiences for Freightliner?

Folks say all the time "my ford E350 was easy to insure" but the word FORD is not in itself a red flag. I believe that experiences dealing with insuring for "vans" are not going to be in the same ballpark as the freightliner, which is automatically flagged as commercial.

Like I said, I'm not looking to mislead them, but need to get it home and work on the transformation of the title which ought to fix this issue correct?

Thanks, appreciate any help you can offer

Zz

I called my insurance agent before picking up my school bus and I think he insured it as an RV right off the bat. He said that another option would be to insure it as a “VAN”, not like a passenger van but a moving van/box truck. You might try one of those options. Also, call around to different DMV‘s around your area and see which ones are the most lenient on titling. I called the one closest to my home and they required a state police inspection and said it needed a bathroom kitchen and sleeping area before they could title it as an RV. I called another one that was about 15 miles away and they said just come right in and we will change it for you in a matter of minutes. Getting my title changed to RV was the easiest title work I have ever done with a vehicle. Also, FYI my insurance is $94 per year. Check with the company that insures your home and other vehicles. They usually have much better rates if you bundle with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zzeke

Thanks for your feedback.

I called an agent this am and told them it was a van. My main goal is to get it home legally, drive it on a few trips to find problems, get them fixed - and I'll get started on the conversion. I have seen a few threads on skoolie that say there's a few DMVs here in the state that know how to do it - I think that is a great plan, because the situation is hard to unscrew once the dmv agent heads down the wrong path. I live in a small town, we have the DMV in our town (county seat) but we're one of the smaller villages. I think they would not know what to do.

Feeling pretty dis-incentivized to tell them my future plans because in every other case that right there was the end of the discussion "sorry we can't help you". So because my current use is just to drive it as a truck, that's how I'll insure it.

My regular agent for auto is progressive.... I won't do auto again with Farm Bureau who has my homeowners - they can't figure out autopay.

Currently waiting for a call back with quote. At least I didn't get an immediate "NO"?

Other ideas?

thanks

Zzeke

"Off road" is another term you NEVER want to use with insurance companies.

Yeah, that makes sense.

OK, so I was able to get insurance from Allstate thru an agent in a nearby town. It does not appear to be other than regular auto insurance - I didn't ask too many questions as I need the binder so I can pick up my new rig tomorrow!!

There was a less expensive option, who wanted to see a picture of it. As soon as they saw the pic they said "no thanks".

I'm happy with how it went, I know that I can reduce the cost after the conversion is complete.

Thanks for the replies, looking forward to learning more here on the forum.

TB

DzlToy

Explorer
Buzzzz... get a super cheap or limited policy and go off road, use your vehicle for business, slap a big, heavy camper on the back, install $5,000 worth of stereo equipment or do any number of other things that you did not tell the insurance company about and you could be personally liable for damages, open to a massive lawsuit and/or have your claim denied. Insurance companies make billions of dollars per year taking in more than they pay out. Thus, they look for every way possible to subrogate, deny or minimise payments on claims. Find a good local agent, not a massive conglomerate advertised on national TV and work with them to build a relationship and to write a policy that meets your needs. State Farm and Progressive EACH spend over ONE BILLION DOLLARS a year on advertising. Where do you think this money comes from?

You have insurance for "holy ********" moments. If you cannot afford proper insurance to protect yourself, your rig, your family and your investment, you shouldn't build the rig or put it into a compromising situation. Do it right, once and forget about it. Saving $50 or $100 a month on insurance is not the name of the game here.

Bravo4niner203

Hello Zzeke, I purchased a 2003 FL60 medic master last month. I got it from a government auction in FL. I tried to insure it through USAA and they wouldn't insure it as USAA considers it a medium duty truck. They transferred me to Progressive and they wouldn't insure it to me as an individual. I was transferred to Progressive commercial department. I have a company and was able to insure it as a "mobile office" My rate is less that $500 per year.
If you have a company, try that way. If not, maybe create a LLC or Scorp and try that way.
Good luck,
Post pics..

Zzeke

Hello Zzeke, I purchased a 2003 FL60 medic master last month. I got it from a government auction in FL. I tried to insure it through USAA and they wouldn't insure it as USAA considers it a medium duty truck. They transferred me to Progressive and they wouldn't insure it to me as an individual. I was transferred to Progressive commercial department. I have a company and was able to insure it as a "mobile office" My rate is less that $500 per year.
If you have a company, try that way. If not, maybe create a LLC or Scorp and try that way.
Good luck,
Post pics..

Thanks B49er,

I have been meaning to establish an LLC for side stuff I do and want to do more of - and very nearly did it the week I was trying to find insurance. I needed to buy the rig right away as there was others ready to do the same.

Not sure what some of these folks are on about. So far I have paid two months of real insurance with reputable carrier. And have driven it a total of 65 miles so far.

There's a ton of work to do before the title change, then it'll both be cheaper registration (currently $600 a year) and insurance will be less expensive as an RV.

Appreciate the constructive push.

Zk

Third

LLC's can come in handy for registrations, etc.

My cars are owned by my out-of-state LLC (they'd not be legal in Texas). But since they belong to the company and registered in it's home office state, it is absolutely legal to drive them in all 50. There are some minor requirements (like a sponsor who lives in the state in which you are starting the LLC, etc).

I may very well be starting another for my truck build once I decide to register it as an RV. Texas already grumbled at me once when I inquired about doing so but I didn't push it (it can be reclassified as RV with a school bus here, they just said I couldn't do so with a former military vic). We'll see when the time comes.

I'm keeping the "mobile office" option open as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior