HELP: I Bought an Overweight Overlander

Ziro

Hi everyone,

TLDR: just bought a Tacoma with 138k on it a month ago and have had to replace rear axle, and now the transmission is shot. It seems I bought a lemon, what do I do now?

I’m desperately seeking advice as I seem to have found myself in one of the worse situations a new overlander can be in - it seems I bought a lemon.

About ten months ago, my wife and I decided that we wanted to do an overland expedition across North America - exploring the American Southwest and the Canadian Rockies. I began researching, planning, and searching for vehicles here on EXPO and on other forums. I found tons of amazing tips, tricks, overland routes, and vehicles for sale right here and needless to say I began to get very excited about our big adventure. We saved all of our money, we rented out our condo in Sweden, sold our car, and purchased what I thought was a perfect rig for our adventure - @crolison ‘s 2006 Toyota Tacoma with an Ovrlnd Camper. After speaking extensively with the seller and gaining a substantial amount of trust in him - he seemed like a stand-up honest guy. I took a leap of faith and put down a hefty deposit on the vehicle without seeing it in person (obviously a major mistake, but I had put a lot of trust in the community that I had found in EXPO and that I thought I had found in him). We had tried to meet in person while I was stateside but timing proved difficult. Note: This is not intended to put anyone here on blast - I merely intend to explain the full situation.

After a month and a half, I made the trip to Colorado to pick up the truck and make the final payment. I checked it out, test drove it, and noticed a slight pull in the steering at low speeds but I wasn’t too concerned - figuring it was just a minor alignment issue. The experience with the seller in person was great - jerry cans were fully loaded, he tossed in a 6 pack and had even installed skids I had ordered to his house. I mean I thought I had struck gold. We shook hands and I left and began my adventure.

I ventured through Colorado and back home towards Canada for Christmas, and then a couple weeks later down to the Ozarks and into Texas - and that’s where my trouble began. We were in a hurry to get down to Texas to meet a friend so the majority of the driving was first on interstates, then smaller country highways and dirt roads with a total of maybe 50 miles of actual off-road driving.

One morning we packed up camp just before heading into Texas and the driver’s side rear wheel locked up and wouldn’t budge, thinking it was a stuck parking brake I rocked it back and forth and eventually freed it but then a vibration appeared between 20-30 mph. I took it to a shop and they established it was a busted bearing and warped backing plate due to an out-of-round rear axle. After 3 days and $2000 in repairs at a dealer I thought the worst was behind me, but boy was I wrong. We left the dealership and within 100 miles the vibration was back full force. I took it in to another nearby dealer and within 10 minutes they were able to tell me what the actual problem was - the transmission is shot. After spending only a few minutes with the vehicle they also found a very hidden power steering fluid leak, and noticed a noisy front wheel bearing.

I’m not sure if the seller was aware of these issues prior to the sale, if he was I certainly was never notified of them (as per expo classified rules). He really didn’t seem like the type of person to screw me over, so perhaps it was just luck that he got out of it before all of this stuff went wrong, hard to say.

Sorry for the long post but I need to decide what to do next and I need your help. The truck has 137k miles on it - with 3500 from me. Is it worth to put an new transmission into it, and perform all other repairs to make this dream trip come true or should I cut my loses get rid of the truck and head home? What if something else major goes wrong? I’ve already put more into it than expected. I purchased a Tacoma for their reliability and overland capability, but it seems to have gone totally sideways on me.

Thanks and appreciate the help,
Bryce

Attachments

• F106892C-F868-4EFE-82EA-29A1E97B1CA3.jpeg
    F106892C-F868-4EFE-82EA-29A1E97B1CA3.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 390

Toyaddict

Can't say say you bought a lemon given the age and mileage as well as not knowing the history of the truck. If the po hauled heavy and used the truck offroad and in the mountains I could see a transmission and rear end going out prematurely. At that mileage a wheel bearing and ps leak aren't surprising, especially with the added weight up front.

As far as keeping or selling, I would think you've pretty well weathered the storm at this point. May as well get some of your money back by using the truck.

Last edited:

reaver

If it makes you feel better, my previous rig (96 blazer) needed a new transmission about 8 months after I bought it. Had the trans rebuilt, and drove it for 14 years and about 180k before It started giving me issues again.

I'm sure you paid a good amount of coin for the truck, but buying a used rig is ALWAYS risky, albeit a calculated one. I'd say get it fixed, and enjoy it. Yes, it sucks that you have to put money into an already expensive vehicle, but you won't recoup the costs if you try and sell it in its current state anyways, so why not fix it and enjoy it?

reaver

You bought a POS, not a lemon. It's 14 years old truck with 137,000 miles ... thinking that it will not need major repairs is silly. Despite what the internet tells you... Toyota's do not go for ever with no repairs....lol.
That's not necessarily true. It's certainly possible to buy a used vehicle that's been well maintained, and isn't likely to have any major mechanical defects. Case in point, last October, I bought a 2003 Xterra as an expo rig. I had a pre-purchase inspection done, and got a lengthy carfax report. Spoke to the shop that was listed and confirmed all scheduled maintenance items were addressed by the previous owner. I felt comfortable plopping down 5800 for this rig.

3000 miles later, I've not had an issue yet, except for a brief ses for an o2 sensor, which hasn't come back since clearing it, so it could be a fluke.

My point is, if you do your homework, you can get a good deal, and a great vehicle, but it requires knowing exactly what you're getting.

shade

I took it in to another nearby dealer and within 10 minutes they were able to tell me what the actual problem was - the transmission is shot.
Take it to a reputable transmission shop and see what they say before spending more on it, especially at a dealership. Maybe they're correct and the entire transmission needs to be replaced, but it's also possible that they lack the expertise to diagnose & repair it, so they find it easier (for them) to recommend total replacement.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've met Chris a couple of times and my impression is also that he seems like a nice guy so I wouldn't jump straight to it being intentional deception. He keeps a fairly public profile across the various enthusiast sites (Tacoma World, Tundras.com, ExPo) all under the same user name. You can find very public history on that truck's build. He always seemed to be conscientious about his work and maintenance.

But that said he did use the truck for what it's built to do, it is not a pavement queen. In this case it's my opinion that his Tacoma is an excellent example of why gross vehicle weight is important and the meaning of buyer beware.

I don't know exactly how heavy that truck currently is but I've seen posts where he said it came in at 6,300 lbs and you then added skids sliders (I thought it already had them, not sure). Things like bent axles and overworked transmissions (he put on a larger trans cooler and added a fan, which is a red flag to me) are things that will fail when your truck is that much overweight and asked to do severe duty.

D43D6648-7BA7-4B0C-8704-3922873A87B7_mid.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

That's not necessarily true. It's certainly possible to buy a used vehicle that's been well maintained, and isn't likely to have any major mechanical defects. Case in point, last October, I bought a 2003 Xterra as an expo rig. I had a pre-purchase inspection done, and got a lengthy carfax report. Spoke to the shop that was listed and confirmed all scheduled maintenance items were addressed by the previous owner. I felt comfortable plopping down 5800 for this rig.

3000 miles later, I've not had an issue yet, except for a brief ses for an o2 sensor, which hasn't come back since clearing it, so it could be a fluke.

My point is, if you do your homework, you can get a good deal, and a great vehicle, but it requires knowing exactly what you're getting.

While I don't disagree with your post, I would like to add that there is absolutely no way to know if a used vehicle is going to be reliable. You can make an educated guess...but certainty is impossiable.

D

Deleted member 9101

Take it to a reputable transmission shop and see what they say before spending more on it, especially at a dealership. Maybe they're correct and the entire transmission needs to be replaced, but it's also possible that they lack the expertise to diagnose & repair it, so they find it easier (for them) to recommend total replacement.

Hell..time to ditch the OEM parts and beef it up! No sense paying good money to replace parts that are going to prematurely wear again.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have seen quite a few shops recommend replacing a transmission, when the trans just needs a new electrical connector, valve body, or fluid replacement. In some cases its just a fault TCM etc. Its a easy and high profit to swap the whole trans vs actual troubleshooting.

If you are running at GVWR +1200lbs, and the vehicle was used hard, stuff breaks.

What specifically failed on the rear axle? R&P? Carrier? Unless you bend the axle or spun a bearing, rebuilding with new wear parts is not terribly expensive.

Ziro

I have seen quite a few shops recommend replacing a transmission, when the trans just needs a new electrical connector, valve body, or fluid replacement. In some cases its just a fault TCM etc. Its a easy and high profit to swap the whole trans vs actual troubleshooting.

If you are running at GVWR +1200lbs, and the vehicle was used hard, stuff breaks.

What specifically failed on the rear axle? R&P? Carrier? Unless you bend the axle or spun a bearing, rebuilding with new wear parts is not terribly expensive.

I’m no expert on transmissions, but when they let out a bit of fluid to see the state of the trans there were a bunch of brass flakes in it. They showed me the flakes and told me the transmission was cooked and that I needed a new one, and rebuilding the old one would probably be slightly cheaper but maybe not if the problem is tricky to find, so I figured for that much money I might as well just get a new trans. Thoughts?

as for the rear end, the axle was bent slightly which busted the bearing and backing plate.

shade

Hell..time to ditch the OEM parts and beef it up! No sense paying good money to replace parts that are going to prematurely wear again.
Maybe, but the 2nd gen Tacoma automatic transmission is considered to be robust in OEM form. Failures are rare, even among the severely burdened Tacomas wandering these forums.

shade

I’m no expert on transmissions, but when they let out a bit of fluid to see the state of the trans there were a bunch of brass flakes in it. They showed me the flakes and told me the transmission was cooked and that I needed a new one, and rebuilding the old one would probably be slightly cheaper but maybe not if the problem is tricky to find, so I figured for that much money I might as well just get a new trans. Thoughts?
Like I said, get a second opinion from a good transmission shop. That doesn't sound good, but why not explore your options?

You may also consider ordering a replacement. Wyatt Scott at https://www.rocksolidtoys.com/ has a very good reputation, and has been a helpful member on TacomaWorld for years.

Ziro

I've met Chris a couple of times and my impression is also that he seems like a nice guy so I wouldn't jump straight to it being intentional deception. He keeps a fairly public profile across the various enthusiast sites (Tacoma World, Tundras.com, ExPo) all under the same user name. You can find very public history on that truck's build. He always seemed to be conscientious about his work and maintenance.

But that said he did use the truck for what it's built to do, it is not a pavement queen. In this case it's my opinion that his Tacoma is an excellent example of why gross vehicle weight is important and the meaning of buyer beware.

I don't know exactly how heavy that truck currently is but I've seen posts where he said it came in at 6,300 lbs and you then added sliders (I thought it already had them, not sure). Things like bent axles and overworked transmissions (he put on a larger trans cooler and added a fan, which is a red flag to me) are things that will fail when your truck is that much overweight and asked to do severe duty.

View attachment 563501

agreed, I don’t think he would intentionally deceive me, especially after meeting him myself - seemed like the nicest guy, as I said.

And yes the sliders were already on there, correct but I added a trans and transfer case skid to the belly of the truck.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This truck started life as a TRD Offroad so it's got the standard Toyota 8" axle, in this case a 4-pinion with electronic locker version. It's pretty well known that the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma pushes the limit on the axle. Even on the earlier 79-95 mini trucks it wasn't unusual to break them. Hard use is why ECGS builds the Dana 60 upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz