Help getting dog to climb into rooftop tent

WOODY2

Adventurer
Actually carpet is pretty slippery? They make a non skid tape like product that is used on tractors and heavy equipment however I'm not sure how well it would adhere to wood.

Porkchopexpress

Actually carpet is pretty slippery? They make a non skid tape like product that is used on tractors and heavy equipment however I'm not sure how well it would adhere to wood.
I guess you could find slippery carpet if you looked hard enough but mostly not. Dogs use their claws to climb and carpet gives them something to dig into, especially looped carpet like berber.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I've been getting our Collie x Kelpie to jump into the 4Runner and onto the Land Cruiser tray - it's not been too bad, as she's been paws up onto what ever surface is going for the last few months. Managed to get her to jump in the 4Runner last weekend...

IMG_1690.jpg

We found the following helped:
  • Stand next to where you want them to go - they need to know you're there for them if they get it wrong (catching them if need be)
  • Use the same command each time - she has Hop Up as her command (when she's in ear shot...)
  • Be a bit harsh - we'd push her off if she only put her paws up on the tailgate, and send her off again
  • Work out if they need a run up or not - she needs a short run up, but can nearly do it from a sitting start now.

She was trying to jump onto the Land Cruiser, but got it wrong and nearly fell - I was next to her so caught her straight away, so that was good. It did knock her confidence so we had to work on the hop up again for the 4Runner, 3 push offs and then another go, she got it sorted.

On the flip side, we watched her full sister (same age, just a bit shorter at the shoulders) jump 6'4" at the Nundle Dog Race's dog jump ... the frame at the back of the truck is where the planks slot in and the dogs take a short run up to meet their owners at the top. It all depends on knowing that you're there to support them.

18216808_1020797994716739_5898722233894933117_o.jpg

VicMackey

Adventurer
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I installed the cross slats. I will now paint with a textured paint. If that proves ineffective, I will try carpet. If carpet does not work, Joey the boxer is sleeping in the annex with my daughter.

DetroitDarin, greetings from Royal Oak!

VicMackey

Adventurer
Update: I put cross slats on. Then I painted it with some flat paint and added the non skid stuff.

I left the ladder on the ground and put some do treats on it. The dog ate those up.

The next day I took a leftover sausage and broke it up into pieces leading up the ladder and into the tent. I had my daughter in the tent calling the dog and she had sausage too. It took about 10 minutes of coaxing/coaching and the dog went into the tent.

The day after that we did the same with his favorite toy. He went into the tent two more times with no issues.

Looks like the problen is solved.

Thanks for all the tips/advice!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
So I made a ramp out of an old extension ladder. Spent an hour last night trying to get the Boxer dog to climb said ramp into the tent. I put pieces of chicken leading up the ramp. He only ate the ones he could reach without having to get on the ramp. He did slip a few inches while on the ramp due to the wood being so smooth. I plan to paint the wood and put some play sand on the wet paint while it is still wet. I figure this will give more traction and perhaps make him more comfortable on the ramp. Note in the photo, that the dog runs so fast, he turns his ears inside out......

I am all ears if anyone has any tips or pointers to get the dog to work the ramp properly.

View attachment 449313
Our boxer took to our Brophy steps into our popup cabover but getting her up that ramp..I doubt it. Great dogs. The skinny rungs for humans don't look to friendly in the middle of the night either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior