Help getting dog to climb into rooftop tent

VicMackey

Adventurer
So I made a ramp out of an old extension ladder. Spent an hour last night trying to get the Boxer dog to climb said ramp into the tent. I put pieces of chicken leading up the ramp. He only ate the ones he could reach without having to get on the ramp. He did slip a few inches while on the ramp due to the wood being so smooth. I plan to paint the wood and put some play sand on the wet paint while it is still wet. I figure this will give more traction and perhaps make him more comfortable on the ramp. Note in the photo, that the dog runs so fast, he turns his ears inside out......

I am all ears if anyone has any tips or pointers to get the dog to work the ramp properly.

ladder1.jpg

fiddypal

Adventurer
Yeah the slippery surface is for sure hurting his confidence in climbing up it. I would try and address that first (cross slates, grip tape, etc)

You need to approach this in steps, don't try and get him to climb right up that off the bat.

Lay it on the ground and get him to walk across it, so hes confident of the surface since hes not used to it. (will prob need a lead on him the first few times to guide him down the ramp)

Then raise it up a little bit off the ground and repeat, praise and reward him when he does a good job and encourage him when hes doing it (good boy, yeahhh wooo hooo, good job!, etc.) If he has a good food drive then use that for motivation so he think this is a game where he gets food at the end of the ramp, but do not reward him for avoiding the ramp. If he has a stronger prey drive then food, then use a tug, kong, ball ,etc. to fire him up and place it up the ramp some so he has to go up it to get the reward.

Take it slow and dont get frustrated, you dont want him to associate bad experiences with the plank or he will avoid it.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I have a truck with the tent on a rack over the bed so I would throw a roll of padded astro turf over the hood, windshield, and roof of the cab and let the dog walk up and down. There was also a small step ladder at the front to allow my dog onto the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonJKU

We lessened the incline of the ramp which helped. Also we had someone in the tent to coax our dog while another person guide her up the ramp using a leash. Here is a pic of our ramp.

Attachments

• IMG_20180425_084033-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180425_084033-600x800.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 82

Lucky j

Explorer
A boxer should be a bit of a jumper. Mi would try a step down and he would simply jump 2 spets instead of one. Ramp would not be as high, he might not be as scared and comming down would not be worst than coming of a bed.

Bear as a nice patio paint that included none slipery texture and is pretty resistant.

VicMackey

Adventurer
A boxer should be a bit of a jumper. Mi would try a step down and he would simply jump 2 spets instead of one. Ramp would not be as high, he might not be as scared and comming down would not be worst than coming of a bed.

Bear as a nice patio paint that included none slipery texture and is pretty resistant.

I added cross slats, and I will add textured paint.

Fiddypal had a good idea of getting the dog familiar with the ramp while it is on the ground. I plan to put the ramp on the ground and block the sides off. I will place some delicious food on the ramp and only allow him to enter the ramp from the end. I will make him love that thing one way or another :)

Porkchopexpress

Carpet on surface..... Training tip, get in tent and unwrap cheese slices:LOL:
Yeah, I think carpet would work better that textured paint. The idea of increasing the slope gradually is a good one too.

You can buy indoor/outdoor carpet at Lowe’s or Home Depot by the foot then tack and or glue it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles