Help for non-Toyota owner?

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I don't own a Toyota, and never have. However I can dream can't I?
My problem when reading about Toyotas is the alphabet soup names.
FZJ80
FJ60
BJ40
PZJ73
UZJ100......ETC.....ETC....ETC

As I understand it, the first letter (or 2 letters?) tells you the engine type, I have found some information at http://www.brian894x4.com (most of what little I known comes from this excellent site) but the list of engines appears incomplete and not directly related to the alphabet soup designations.
The J seems universal, so probably means Japan or Jeep ?
The last 2 numbers are the series -this part I think I understand thanks to the above mentioned site.
So does anyone know of a comprehensive list/chart showing ALL the combinations of letters and numbers and there meaning - or - is this a secret Toyota code revealed only to those who know the secret Toyota handshake?

On a related subject what about all those strange 2 letter Jeep designations?
TJ CJ YJ WJ ZJ UJ XJ ......
Cheers
Mark

cruiser guy

Explorer
The "J" means jeep. The letters preceeding that is the engine family and the numbers following is the series designation.

In my case a BJ60, "B" signifying that I have a "B" series diesel to be specific a 3B the "J" is universal on 'Cruisers and the 60 signifying the 60 series, meaning it looks the same as the FJ60 popular in the USA.

robert

Expedition Leader
Probably the easiest thing to do is look at Spectre's web site-they used to have pictures of a lot of different Cruiser models.

As noted, the F series are gasoline engines, the B series are diesel engines. The J is from Jeep; they were originally called Toyota Jeeps but then AMC patented the name and got mad about it.

The originals were FJ25s; the models between FJ25- FJ40s (and the diesel variants- the BJs) had the familiar looking FJ40 style front end but were produced in many body styles including but not limited to the 45 short and long bad pickups (with and without removable tops) and the 45 wagon series. There were also FJ47 Troop carrier styles which looked like stretched 40s. There were ambulance, fire truck and tow truck variants also.

The 55 series (Iron Pigs) were wagons as were the 60 and 80 series. The 70 series were considered a medium duty (as opposed to heavy duty) platformorm and there were as many variants of it as there were 40 series with the pickup and troopies showing up in lots of National Geographic photos.

There were several varaitions of the engines through the years and I'm not familiar with the diesels, but basically there was the F engine- a bastardization of the Chevy 236 but metric and with few parts that actually fit contrary to popular belief, the 2F- opened up to 4.2 liters or around 258, the 3F- the fuel injected version of the 2F (making its appearance in the FJ62 along with an auto tranny in the US). The FJZ was a modern engine as opposed to an updated one. The diesels came in several style including four and five cylinder as natural asperation vs. turbo.

Obviously this can all be very confusing- there are probably as many variants of Cruisers as there are of Land Rovers and you know how crazy that can get.

Hopefully this helps a little.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks everyone, ducktapeguy's second link has a very good chart explaining all the series numbers.
Cheers
Mark

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Never heard that the J was for Jeep, but should specify country of manufacturer in modern times. Old US HiLux's as I recall had an N for N.A. designation.

Z stands for overhead cam BTW, the 1FZ-FE engine for instance was the first (1) series of the FZ block (F = 6 cyl gasoline, Z=overhead cam, -F=24 valve, -E=EFI). Other designations were like the 22R-ET which R was a 4 cyl gasoline and the -T=turbo. A H engine designation is a 6 cyl diesel, and the B is a 4 cyl diesel. UZ is an 8 cyl overhead cam gasoline, FYI as in UZJ100

Yes, alphabet soup, but can help you designate the what body, what years, and what drivetrain.

To futher confuse, you'll see things like FJ80 and FZJ80, the former being an 80 series body wagon with the 3F-E engine, and the latter with the 1FZ-FE engine.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
If I were in Australia, my model search would stop at PZJ (5-cyl diesel) 73 (mid WB model). :D
Scott
I was wondering about your opinion of the now imfamous Team USA Landcruiser. Obviously you were impressed?
They are also available in Canada
What about this one?
http://www.luxuryimports.ca/forsale/1990HZJ73-1/index.php
It has one extra cylinder (HZJ73) than your PZJ - If it wasn't so expensive I might be tempted
Cheers
Mark

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This is a great FAQ compiled by TLCA member Rob Mullen years ago.

Rob Mullen's Land Cruiser FAQ

Basically the first letter designates engine. It's been pointed out, so you understand F=F/2F/3F, B=B/2B/3B, FZ=1FZ-FE, L= 2L, etc.

The second letter stands for place of manufacture. I've read that the J designated final assembly in the Honsha plant. All early Land Cruisers were built here, so maybe since there's nothing beside xJ-xxx that's true. Although now Land Cruisers are also made at the Tahara plant in Japan, the Bandera in Brasil and the FJ Cruiser (not sure if we call it a Cruiser or not, it's got a lot of Prado parts) is made in Texas.

The numbers after the dash designate series, 25, 40, 60/62, 80, 90, 100, etc.

The rest of the numbers will tell you the complete model, RHD/LHD, tailgate or ambulance doors, top type (i.e. soft top where applicable), transmission type and finally the destination country (A=North America).

So a typical middle 1970s 2 door Cruiser would be the FJ-40LVKCJA, which is a 2F, J production line, 40 series, left hand drive, hard top, 4 speed, ambulance door with a carb, intended for the US or Canada.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
That is sort of my understanding as well:

F = 6 cylinder, inline, gasoline
B = 4 Cylinder, inline, diesel
H = 6 Cylinder inline, diesel
Z = 4 valves per cylinder
J = Assembled by Araco(Arakawa)
U = 8 cylinder, "V" configuration, Gasoline

40/60/80/100 = Family designation(model)

DaveInDenver

AndrewP said:
J = Assembled by Araco(Arakawa)

Araco makes the bodies and interiors for the Cruisers, but it's not a final assembly plant itself. The company is owned by Toyota Motor, though.

expeditionswest said:
If I were in Australia, my model search would stop at PZJ (5-cyl diesel) 73 (mid WB model). :D

Any reason for the 1PZ other than Morocco?

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Great question Dave!

For me, that truck represents all that is good in an expedition platform. Of course that is just my opinion, as some want more comfort, or carry more passengers, etc. I have now driven them all (40,60,70,80,90,100,120, etc.)

The 70 series is one of the few vehicles (maybe the only) that has circumnavigated Africa (documented) without mechanical failure.

Here are my key viewpoints:

1. Massive frame
2. Lighter weight than the 60 or 80 series
3. The BIG cruiser axles
4. Factory electric lockers
5. Great diesel motor (this one had an ATS turbo)
6. Great 5 speed manual with crawler first (not sure of the model)
7. ~100" wheelbase
8. Loads of room in the back
9. Simple construction, leaves, vinyl flooring, basic dash, etc.

I am just a big fan of simple, durable machines. No frills, and all of the cost going to bulletproof design.

Not saying this truck is right for everyone, but the 40/70 series and hi-lux Toyotas win my heart.

Oh, and diesel defenders are pretty sweet too.

DaveInDenver

expeditionswest said:
Great question Dave!

For me, that truck represents all that is good in an expedition platform. Of course that is just my opinion, as some want more comfort, or carry more passengers, etc. I have now driven them all (40,60,70,80,90,100,120, etc.)

The 70 series is one of the few vehicles (maybe the only) that has circumnavigated Africa (documented) without mechanical failure.

I am just a big fan of simple, durable machines. No frills, and all of the cost going to bulletproof design.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of 70 series. I loved my FJ40, but it, like the 70 and 73, was too small for me. I also like utility bodies, be that a pickup or tray.

I ask about the 1PZ because Toyota only used it for a few years in the early 1990s and only in Cruisers. It's got a two piece flywheel that is supposed to be the only significant knock in long term reliability. Nissan I think also uses a similar design on the current heavy diesels, so it's probably a non-issue. What would worry me about the 1PZ is that since it went out of production in 1993, when might spares start being an issue. Being a Cruiser and knowing Toyota, it'll be at least another 10 years before parts get to be in short supply.

FWIW, give me a HZJ75/78/79 trayback any day... :) But I do like the extra room in the XtraCab and so probably for me it would really still be a 3rd or 4th gen 4WD Hilux, but with a 1KZ-TE, naturally. If only we had the choices!

gjackson

FRGS

Scott, which expedition are you referring to here? I know Kingsmill crossed Africa (south to north) with no mechanical failures, but haven't heard of a circumnav trip. Just curious.

cheers.

cruiser guy

Explorer
expeditionswest said:

They might be OK in Oz or Europe but not in the Americas. There was a fellow through here from Germany last year with a red PZJ and he had injection pump problems. He had to order parts from Europe to get going again! That is too rare of a beast for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles