Help finding insurance

cameronsturgess

I am a newbie from ontario canada so pardon the basic questions. I have been trying to find insurance for a potential fuso build. As soon as I told allstate I was having a truck built they said no. No customized trucks. No trucks or rv worth more than 200k cad. All other brokers I called said something similar until one broker called back with a “facility” policy. I gather facility is a pool of high risk insurance vehicles or drivers. The cost to insure a used 30,000 cad fuso was 2000 and that is only valid for a year to complete the build. Then assuming the build is appraised at 120,000 cad then insurance is $3700cad a year. If the appraisal is more then insurance is more. Given decent used fuso builds are going for far more than 120,000cad I can see insurance costing me a lot more than I would like to pay. (Obvious question is my driving record is clean / no claims or accidents and I am over 50yrs old) It gets even worse if I say I am putting the box on the subframe myself. Then the answer is a flat no. Has anyone else solved the insurance riddle ?? Thanks. Cameron

dlh62c

Explorer
These trucks have a GVWR of 14050 lbs and are considered commercial. Sourcing insurance coverage can be problematic. Underwriters also have difficulty assigning values to DIY conversions.

If the build isn’t completed, try sourcing insurance coverage for what the truck currently is, not for what you plan to turn it into.

Once the build/conversion is complete, go back and have the policy changed. Or don’t rock the boat. Liability coverage may be the best you can hope for.

Last edited:

Dellorto

In the US, it was the insurance broker that found an insurance policy on my FG camper. I called several agents and could not find anyone willing to insure a custom RV. My final call was with an agent that was very helpful and tried for nearly an hour to find coverage (started with an RV policy and eventually moved to commercial policy for the truck and added the camper as "permanently attached equiptment"). After several times on hold and coversations with his colleagues, he couldn't find a policy. I then went to a broker and they found me a policy with the exact same company: commercial for the truck with the camper as "permanently attached equipment". I have liability only and pay $1900 USD a year for a 2015 FG and Bigfoot camper. And I realize that my experience will probably do you no good in Canada...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
My Fuso is titled as a motorhome, not a truck. That makes a huge difference when it comes to insurance, registration, etc. Insurers expect an RV to see light/occasional use compared to a commercial truck. The difficulty with a truck (compared to a pickup truck) is that there is no system in place for using them as personal vehicles. It is either treated as a commercial vehicle, or a camper.

You may have no choice but to insure it as a truck while it is being built, but you should be able to title it as an RV once complete. I'm in the USA so Canada may well be different.

skippythedog

Observer
Mine has a dump bed and army type tarp. I have a Gichner s-250 shelter I slide into the back (too small for what most people want)....However, if I wanted to go bigger, I'd look at a Gichner S-280 shelter (13ft long).....Not as aesthetically pleasing as a custom build but stout as hell.....Insure your truck as a stocker w/ a flatbed, slide your camper on.....makes things a bit simpler and you keep the versatility of your rig. Most of the accounts I've read are similar to yours, "NO!"....some will do it but require a highly specialized inspection w/ special attention to the electrical system

dixoncolorado

My Fuso is titled as a motorhome, not a truck. That makes a huge difference when it comes to insurance, registration, etc. Insurers expect an RV to see light/occasional use compared to a commercial truck. The difficulty with a truck (compared to a pickup truck) is that there is no system in place for using them as personal vehicles. It is either treated as a commercial vehicle, or a camper.

You may have no choice but to insure it as a truck while it is being built, but you should be able to title it as an RV once complete. I'm in the USA so Canada may well be different.
Hi there I’m in the middle of purchasing a fool so don’t truck and I need help on where to go for insurance as well as getting the loan I’m finding this to be more difficult than I thought because of the commercial category to vehicle falls into any help would be appreciated!

dlh62c

Explorer
Hi there I’m in the middle of purchasing a fool so don’t truck and I need help on where to go for insurance as well as getting the loan I’m finding this to be more difficult than I thought because of the commercial category to vehicle falls into any help would be appreciated!

Sourcing insurance coverage on these trucks is problematic, but not impossible. It you're getting a loan for the vehicle, the loan company will require more than just liability coverage.

Physically walk into the office of an Independent Insurance Agent with a picture of the vehicle and the VIN number and try not to leave until its sorted out. If the truck has a dump body say you're going to do some landscaping around your house and need to haul some materials. Insure for what it is, not for what you intend to turn it into. Say nothing, and I'll say it again, say nothing about a custom camper build or a DIY conversion.

Until a RV certification has taken place you're going to have to insure it for what it is; a commercially rated vehicle purchased for personal use. When it comes to DIY conversions, its all about assigning a value to the completed build. If you drop $300K on a Earthcruiser, you'll get a Bill-of-Sale for what you paid for it. There would be no problems getting coverage.

Good luck!

Last edited:

dixoncolorado

Sourcing insurance coverage on these trucks is problematic, but not impossible. It you're getting a loan for the vehicle, the loan company will require more than just liability coverage.

Physically walk into the office of an Independent Insurance Agent with a picture of the vehicle and the VIN number and try not to leave until its sorted out. If the truck has a dump body say you're going to do some landscaping around your house and need to haul some materials. Insure for what it is, not for what you intend to turn it into. Say nothing, and I'll say it again, say nothing about a custom camper build or a DIY conversion.

Until a RV certification has taken place you're going to have to insure it for what it is; a commercially rated vehicle purchased for personal use. When it comes to DIY conversions, its all about assigning a value to the completed build. If you drop $300K on a Earthcruiser, you'll get a Bill-of-Sale for what you paid for it. There would be no problems getting coverage.

Good luck!
Thank you sir!

Dragorandir

HELP, same type of question here... Did you found an insurance company in Ontario?

Any advises or recommendations?

I am buying a Canadian registered and insured vehicle in Vancouver, BC. Currently registered as an RV.
I know it works a bit differently over there from the other provinces, I'm in Ontario. I have contacted multiple insurance companies and they all said NO, CAA, Allstate, Aviva; now waiting on Progressive and Intact for their replies. I also contacted a few brokers to see what would come out of it.

The vehicle is a Mitsubishi Canter 4x4 1997 I purchased via this forum.

From what I could gather, registration for overlander works differently in BC. Over there you get the insurance from the provincial government, so I'm not certain how it works. For the rest of Canada, we have more option, usually better prices due to competition, but man, as soon as you mention Overlander, they start asking a zillion questions, they all think that I will be driving in mud pits and climbing rock walls.
I try to bring it as a 4x4 RV, a camper on a truck... I so wish we had an insurance agent or broker in the overlanding community, they would know what we are talking about.

sharkbait73

I insured a 2005 Fuso in Calgary last year using The Co-operators. I don't think I got a particularly good deal by any means, but it is registered, insured, and on the road at least. Mine has a flat deck on it right now and it's otherwise stock. I use it to haul my quad / SxS for awhile until I can start building out a camper.

I could have gotten personal insurance with them (or whoever the underwriter is), but they had a silly limitation of maximum 300km (or maybe it was 500km) distance from my registered address. I thought that was dumb so I pay a bit more and just took a commercial policy but still as a "personnel use" or something like that... Not even sure what that means lol. Anyways it's around $2,000 CAD/year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dragorandir

I insured a 2005 Fuso in Calgary last year using The Co-operators. I don't think I got a particularly good deal by any means, but it is registered, insured, and on the road at least. Mine has a flat deck on it right now and it's otherwise stock. I use it to haul my quad / SxS for awhile until I can start building out a camper.

I could have gotten personal insurance with them (or whoever the underwriter is), but they had a silly limitation of maximum 300km (or maybe it was 500km) distance from my registered address. I thought that was dumb so I pay a bit more and just took a commercial policy but still as a "personnel use" or something like that... Not even sure what that means lol. Anyways it's around $2,000 CAD/year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will contact them this morning. How did you present your request? Did you just go with I would like an insurance quote for my 2005 Fuso or did you request for an RV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior