Help; expedition rack on LR3 missing mounting hardware. Any alternatives tried.

dschreibs

I have just picked up a Craigslist bargain. I have the expedition roof rack tray, but no hardware to attach to the roof rails. Has anyone configured this without LR OEM fasteners? LR doesn't sell the hardware separate, the seller lost them. Any aftermarket kit or hardware for this? Or anyone have extras for sale? Thanks in advance.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
You are speaking of the little eye hooks with flat square bottoms that slide into the cross rails? If so, I am on the hunt for some as well.
I'll keep you posted as to what I find.
D

dschreibs

Dendy,

An honor to have you reply on my first post... A new LR3 owner with a Disco 1 & 2.
I have followed yours closely, and it's an inspiration.
So...

I have the 6 eyes, and the box/tray. I don't have the attachments to the tracks; 2 risers 4 nuts and bolts in the front near the sunroof and roof dip and 4 rectangular plates that fit inside the track, 8 nuts and bolts up into the tray for the rear directly on top of rack. LR says no go on replacement hardware. We will be fabbing something if we don't find it elsewhere.

I would gladly give you 2 eyes for help in getting the tray attached to the tracks.

If you hear of anything...

Thanks

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You can get the M8 "eyes" from any FrontRunner dealer, such as from Paul at Equipt1. I had a Hannibal rack that was a prototype and came with some really funky mounting hardware. I tossed it and used Thule pylons and cross bars and u-bolted the rack to them. Worked fantastic, and due the pylon design, was quick removable with nothing sticking above the rain gutter track other than the base cleat. Very low profile when not installed. Sorry, none of my images for that setup are online anymore.

dschreibs

Nathan,

Thanks to you too, another honor. I was just looking for that type advice/experience. I see how the back can be fastened with the M8 eye or even the Thule or Rhino hardware. The G4/Expedition instructions indicate a riser, maybe plastic to accommodate the dip in the roof up front where there is no track. What have you done about this or is yours a half rack?

Thanks

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My Hannibal was a 3/4 rack. I think there might be some confusion about the M8 eye's. First, it seems Paul no longer sells FrontRunner. Now you need to go here: http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/Rack-Accessories-c40/

This is a photo of them:
4307.jpg

I really wish I had my old website up and running, but alas, it is no more. This is the best photo I could find of my old rack, and it will be of no help to you I'm sure:
sliders-XL.jpg

The pylons I used where something like this:
thtk430BIG.jpg

Last edited:

dschreibs

Hi. Yes, I cut the front curve off where it required a special bracket to deal with the lower level or the front part of the roof.

Howski

Wanted to bring this to the top. Similar to the OP I have found a killer deal on however it has no hardware to attach to the roof. I’ve done a search and can’t find any hardware kits available which doesn’t surprise me. Does anyone have the specs on what size and quantity hardware is required? I realize the front ‘feet’ where the roof dips will be the greatest challenge but have seen other aftermarket rack manufacturers have a solution I could follow.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I have the expo rack and missing the plastic front feet trim. I suspect the OEM extended roof rails might work. Just make sure you get stainless hardware.

original_eb1ce9fb-b93a-4895-a071-5ef43b91299e_20200524_140536.jpg

Last edited:

Howski

I’ve found a few solutions utilizing a full length roof rails with some rectangular plate and hardware in the tracks of the rack. It’s a pretty easy solution for anyone else out there wondering

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I just want to trade my Frontrunner rack for an OEM roof rack. If anyone in Texas is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior