Help! Easy way to navigate BLM or national forest?

john61ct

Adventurer
Well then my vote would be Garmin Explorer+

They bought the previous version Explorer (no plus) from DeLorme.

Pick them up used on eBay for under $200 sometimes.

Also rescue service, tracking for family, two-way texting.

Uses inReach / iridium satellite communications, anywhere on the planet.

Obviously requires a subscription, but you can get prepaid ones, turn on / off as desired.

I use Avenza maps, Which is similar to the Gaia program mentioned above a couple times.

For national forests, you can download free Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM), and the Gaia and avenza program will track your location within those maps. Very capable programs.

Maps for BLM lands is a bit harder to find. But they are out there, and both programs I've mentioned allow you to import those, and various other maps, into them.
Can't beat Avenza for NF/BLM. I use it exclusively on my dirtbike.

I'm in exactly your same position! I use Gaia GPA and love it, but SO very often I find myself exploring an area for which I haven't pre-loaded maps and don't have cell service. I'm also looking at the TRX7 -- hoping that someone out there has experience with it and is willing to share! :)

highwest

I use Avenza maps, Which is similar to the Gaia program mentioned above a couple times.

For national forests, you can download free Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM), and the Gaia and avenza program will track your location within those maps. Very capable programs.

Maps for BLM lands is a bit harder to find. But they are out there, and both programs I've mentioned allow you to import those, and various other maps, into them.

Avenza is free and has all of the USGS maps for free. It seems they’ve also partnered with USFS, so all the MVUMs are also free. Same with many national parks maps. There are also many paid maps available. All can be layered.

Only downfall with Avenza and the others is downloading what you need before you’re out of service.

Avenza is my go-to though for both hiking (iPhone) and vehicle (iPad) travel. Great app!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you have Android an alternative to Avenza for GeoPDF maps is OruxMaps.

One handy thing about Orux is that it does not limit you to 3 self loaded PDF maps like the free Avenza. You can have unlimited maps in Avenza as long as you manage them through their store or buy it otherwise it's not a flexible application should they not have one or the one they have is a different version than you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles