HELP! Did I buy the wrong truck? GVWR Concerns (02 Frontier CC LB V6)

Keep truck?

• Total voters

roving1

Sounds like I’m good then. ExPo front page has two articles that specifically talk about not exceeding GVWR, so that spurred the thought process. Hard to know what you don’t know...

thanks all. Will post pics of the build when it gets underway properly.

You are already "winning" by being aware of your GVWR and making choices to try to stay under it and meet you needs. Couple that with a slow as possible fast as necessary driving technique and you should be fine even if you are over it a bit.

I see people break stuff 100 times more by being morons than by being 10% over GVWR.

phsycle

Adventurer
I’d get rid of the bumper. And probably the winch as well. You’re going to be on the highway most of the time with essentially zero trail time (for the foreseeable future). Bumper serves no purpose and neither does the winch. No need for 200lbs up front wearing out the suspension components.
Sell it and use the money for trips.

shade

I’d get rid of the bumper. And probably the winch as well. You’re going to be on the highway most of the time with essentially zero trail time (for the foreseeable future). Bumper serves no purpose and neither does the winch. No need for 200lbs up front wearing out the suspension components.
No winch.

I could get rid of the ARB and recover ~150 lbs, conservatively. (I decided to not have a winch because of weight concerns.

Like you said, I'd dump the bumper. I think the number of people that really need a weighty steel bumper isn't that high. If you're going to add that much weight to about the worst location on a vehicle, you'd better have a good reason for it, IMO. If OP wants an aftermarket bumper, buy a good aluminum one.

You could trade the ARB bumper for a hidden or semi hidden winch setup and save some weight. I drive a 3rd gen Tacoma and try to stay as close to stock drive line geometry as possible to prevent potential issues that sometimes come with a lift. Dobinsons has lots of coil options and Mike at Exit Offroad helped me a lot when I upgraded my suspension. My goal was to support weight with minimal lift. Good luck and enjoy the truck.

thanks. The issue I ran into with the 1st gen Frontier is that the aftermarket support is like, 1/10th of what is available for Tacomas.

my thinking was a Hi-Lift would serve as an emergency winch. Or I could get a come along and keep my stock jack...

One issue is that there are a couple of pieces that were cut from the front end to fit the ARB. So I’d have to get a battery operated grinder, go cut off from a junkyard XTerra (there seem to be tons of Xterras but no Frontiers in my local junk yard), and then get someone to weld it on, along with recovery points, before I could fit the plastic bumper back. So whatever money I made by selling the bumper would basically go back into returning it to stock.

also, I do like to get into the mountains and woods, so protection from animal strikes isn’t a bad call.

overall, it seems the path of least resistance is to keep the bumper, and perhaps go with a winch since I’m already halfway there.

anyway, I should have truck back from shop with new/upgraded suspension by mid week, so I’ll get her weighed and see where I’m at. Also, we are going to load her up to an approximate running weight (about 800 lbs spread through vehicle). Make sure the springs are sitting right, take measurements on geometry, and then put the right shocks on. Have OME heavy duty springs...

thanks all.

rruff

Explorer
PURPOSE: Dedicated home / surf adventure vehicle, based in SF/Bay area, for a 3 year period

Does that mean you are living in it? With just a little cap on the back? I've done it in an old Toyota (with two bikes inside) but I wouldn't recommend it. Having something at least tall enough to sit up straight is so much better. That's ~56" or so. Like my camper #2 shown below.

RTCmp1.jpg

When I got a fulltime roommate I went crazy and built a much bigger one you could stand in. That was a bit excessive for that truck.

YPic05.jpg

Regarding the GVWR, I'd try to keep under the axle ratings if possible. Otherwise just beef up the tires and suspension (vs stock) and you should be fine. Just don't get stupid. For the camper itself and furniture, fiberglass and foam sandwich are your friends. Plastic drawers and containers are great too.

IMO people way over estimate the "need" for recovery equipment. A good pump (and a spare), tire repair tools, and a little sense will get you far. You wouldn't believe the places I went in that 2wd Toyota, and I was living in it for 13 years.

Does that mean you are living in it? With just a little cap on the back? I've done it in an old Toyota (with two bikes inside) but I wouldn't recommend it. Having something at least tall enough to sit up straight is so much better. That's ~56" or so. Like my camper #2 shown below.

When I got a fulltime roommate I went crazy and built a much bigger one you could stand in. That was a bit excessive for that truck.
Regarding the GVWR, I'd try to keep under the axle ratings if possible. Otherwise just beef up the tires and suspension (vs stock) and you should be fine. Just don't get stupid. For the camper itself and furniture, fiberglass and foam sandwich are your friends. Plastic drawers and containers are great too.

IMO people way over estimate the "need" for recovery equipment. A good pump (and a spare), tire repair tools, and a little sense will get you far. You wouldn't believe the places I went in that 2wd Toyota, and I was living in it for 13 years.

sweet rig!

Yeah, lol, I plan on living in it. I also am a yacht captain / seaman, so I will spend chunks of time living onboard as yet unknown vessels. I’m used to small spaces, living out of a backpack on sailboats, etc, so I’m not entirely unprepared.

My backup plans, if the living just ends up being too rough, are:

- rent a room for a night/week/month here and there

- pay “rent” at times to have access to a kitchen and shower

- house sit

- trade for bigger truck. If I go the camper route then I would probably save up and do an old 1 ton diesel build. I’m pretty deep into this one, and the road is calling, so I am heeding the call, with haste.

I am trying to design something that will be comfortable though. 270 awning with 1-2 walls, modular bed setup so that I have a place to sit when only me, backseat delete to have a decent galley and “garage”...

I also plan to keep a gym membership, for all the reasons.

I could spend months or years trying to change my setup. At this point, I’m still young and foolish enough to rough it. Can always do a comfier build on the next go around.

rruff

Explorer
I also plan to keep a gym membership, for all the reasons.

Gym memberships are great! Also public gyms and pools are good place to shower. A sunshower works too. I think I paid rent, motel, or camping fees zero times in 13 years (except when I had an actual job at Bryce and was forced to). I never thought living in the truck was "rough" even in the most spartan configuration. I had no cooler/frig AC or heat either. A stove on the tailgate was the kitchen. But being able to sit up and have more space, sure made it nicer to have company inside! Nicer alone, too.

If you have a place where you can work on stuff, you could bust out a simple shell pretty quick. It's easier if you don't insulate. Could use thin ply (maybe 6mm maranti?) and curve the sides and top like a boat hull for extra stiffness, then cover with FG. You could make it a little wider in front so you can sleep sideways, with lots of storage under the "couch"... which you can slide out and turn into a wider bed if you wish. You'd have a little cab-over for storage.

Gym memberships are great! Also public gyms and pools are good place to shower. A sunshower works too. I think I paid rent, motel, or camping fees zero times in 13 years (except when I had an actual job at Bryce and was forced to). I never thought living in the truck was "rough" even in the most spartan configuration. I had no cooler/frig AC or heat either. A stove on the tailgate was the kitchen. But being able to sit up and have more space, sure made it nicer to have company inside! Nicer alone, too.

If you have a place where you can work on stuff, you could bust out a simple shell pretty quick. It's easier if you don't insulate. Could use thin ply (maybe 6mm maranti?) and curve the sides and top like a boat hull for extra stiffness, then cover with FG. You could make it a little wider in front so you can sleep sideways, with lots of storage under the "couch"... which you can slide out and turn into a wider bed if you wish. You'd have a little cab-over for storage.

10-4

I will have her up and running this spring, and then plan to do several shakedown trips throughout the year before blasting west ETA Jan 2021. So if I really feel the need I can switch.

i could also keep an eye out for slide in campers

one issue for me is that I have a quiver of surfboards. About 7 will make the final cut, and that IS minimalism for me. Lol. Pop up campers make this more difficult, which brings me to vans or 8’ bed rigs, which again are more expensive and difficult to drive in the city. Which all brings me back to my humble Frontier. Everything is a compromise. For sitting up, I’ll just have to sit outside, or in the drivers seat.

I could see myself cutting a hole in the topper and putting a roof top tent with racks on top. If I do, the only cost I won’t be able to recover will be the 80/20 aluminum roof rack I’m building, which will cost maybe $300.

remember that the conversation began with concerned about payload. The bigger the space, the heavier and higher center of gravity everything will be.

it’s all a compromise. When I don’t have to be in a city, I plan to be as far away from the sprawl as possible. Keeping it compact, simple, and light will aid me.

we’ll see how I handle the discomfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94