Help deciding on wiring for light bar/extra battery in Range Rover L322

leftcoastal

I've got an '06 HSE and have installed my FR Slimline 2 rack. Drove around a bit yesterday and she's not too noisy with the wind deflector. I've got a 40" light bar I'd like to front mount to avoid the dreaded whistle(may be inevitable with the FSR80 RTT).

I also have a few extra deep cycle batteries from my boat not being used. It occurred to me that it might be easier to run wiring to the rear along the inside track of the FR and then drill into the rear of the rain gutter and run down one of the rear pillars. Reason being the rear headliner seems much more accessible as I was just inside there removing the shark fin roof antenna. This could be a possible wiring entry and no drilling necessary. I have various silicone/urethane molding material and may make a gasket.

With regards to a second battery where are you guys placing the battery,running wires,and what kind of inverter are you running?

Appreciate any input even if you guys aren't running an L322.

Dogpilot

I put two Odyssey batteries in the whatever well on the right side. The plastic bin part just pulls out revealing a rather large space, enough for the batteries and a First Aid Kit. On the power distribution area above, I placed a simple relay ($18) that switches on to charge the batteries when the car system is in charge mode. Then I have two pick offs, one goes to the 12V socket and a USB A & C charging port. The second is a long one that allows me to clip in the solar panels, generator or allow me to put other items in line for power, like most of my lab gear for field work. Of course not helping your need, but I try to never, ever go off road in the dark. Bad stuff happens, just me but I have seen regrettable outcomes. For my area lighting needs, I have found really cool battery operated lights that just stick onto metal with magnets, so they can be placed where you need them. Charge up quickly via USB and last several hours. Besides they are really cheap and do many other things besides just lighting the work area. I find two work well for me, I just wish the Chinese would drop the flashy thing all LCD's have when you endlessly cycle through the shutdown sequence. Can't really see a use for it, unless your being attacked by epileptic zombies. One unrealized use of the second batteries, which turned out to be a lifesaver at "not burning man," was jumping the two systems together to charge the car battery. Somehow over the week, I suppose with literally dozens of folks going in and out of the stationary vehicle. Something drew the car battery down to, "thoroughly useless level." Simply jumping the relay to latch over to connect both systems, brought he car battery back to "starting possible" level in 5 minutes. I may eventually put an actual switch to accomplish this in the future. Just too cold to wok out in the garage at the moment.

lights
relay

RCX00557.JPGRCX00556.JPGRCX00554.JPGRCX00555.JPG

leftcoastal

Ay thanks for taking the time to respond. This is exactly what I had in mind, except using one of my deep cycle batteries I already have. Your Batts look much better though! How well does the alternator recharge your batteries any issues?

The light bar I have is really a back up out here in the country where I live. There are zero street lights for miles. Likely only use it off road for short bits as I'll likely be situated by dark in my RTT. I am going to grab one of the magnetic lights you posted as my harbor freight ones are a pain to swap Batts on.

Would you mind posting the wiring you ran for the flush mount volt meter and USB plug?

I came across this last night along with an android car player (a bit spendy). Not sure what is encased. How much did you spend for wiring?

Dogpilot

Well, lets see. about 4 hours to charge via the tiny generator I have (EU 1000 Honda). Car seems to top them off in an hour or so running, providing the car's regular battery isn't low as well. The Odyssey batteries are super cool, we use them as primaries in aircraft now, ergo why I had a couple hanging around. Using two makes it much easier to place them into the cavity as a side benefit. They also have way more juice per kg than any other AGM (real important in aircraft, more so in Blimps). If you see the two wires running off to the side, white & red. Those two go to the USB/volt meter and the 12V plug is in parallel to that. There is a 15 amp fuse in the + circuit.

I also have three solar panels that hook into the other circuit as well as a generator and a bunch of lab equipment. Since I tend to do that when I am running the field gear, I could not tell you how long that takes, but based on the usual rules of electricity should take 5-6 hours.

USB C & Voltmeter

Dogpilot

Sorry I had a moment and noticed you where inquiring about the cost of wiring. I really don’t know, I have a bunch hovering around the hanger that seems to been there since reptiles ruled. So it was essentially free. However, if you get some 10 ga red and black spools, some spade connectors along with some large rings to hook up the batteries. You would need an inline fuse. So Al-la-Cart, probably $25 at the likes of Amazon.

so you could, if you have some crimping skills, build 3-4 kits for the price of that one

leftcoastal

Thanks! Not sure why but I wasn't getting notifications for your replies.

I'm not sure what is attached to the wiring in the loom that company produces. Maybe some form of shunt?

I have some 10 gauge and spade connectors around here. I may give the home brew setup a go just using my group 29 deep cycle lead battery. I've got a Honda Eu2000 I'll just take for the family outings or when I take my bass boat (three group 29's).

Eventually I'd like to build a RTT/kitchen trailer with a dual or three bank system with hot water but that's down the road.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Dogpilot

Who knows, but not likely a shunt, which is what you use to get millivoltage output to derive amps passing through. Probably just an overpriced fuse holder. I have an EU 2000 as well as the EU1000. Both nice, the 2000 is just a bit too large and heavy for my purposes. I keep it for the house when a blizzard knocks out power. It will run the furnace fan and the lights. No need for the fridge, just put the food in the garage, it is USDA certified for meat storage this time of the year.

Last edited:

leftcoastal

Who knows, but not likely a shunt, which is what you use to get millivoltage output to derive amps passing through. Probably just an overpriced fuse holder. I have an EU 2000 as well as the EU1000. Both nice, the 2000 is just a bit too large and heavy for my purposes. I keep it for the house when a blizzard knocks out power. It will run the furnace fan and the lights. No need for the fridge, just put the food in the garage, it is USDA certified for meat storage this time of the year.

What port are you running into on your LR to trigger the battery to charge and could I achieve this setup without the relay if I only wanted to run a USB3/Volt meter? That relay looks to get real hot and some of the reviewers said they're melting.

The EU2000 is bigger than I'd prefer for the L322 but it pulls double duty for power outages and when we use the other truck camper setup. Trying to slowwwly expand into colder weather camping with the girls.

Truth be told I need something bigger for the three freezers I've accumulated since covid hit.

Last edited:

Dogpilot

If you look at the pic, I plugged a spade male into one of the output lines there below the relays that is hot when the car is running. That output triggers the relay to latch. You will need some kind of relay to disconnect the two batteries from each other, or you may be stuck with two flat batteries and not be able to start. I saw the reviews, but frankly, have no idea of what they are talking about. I have had it in there for over a year without issues. I did check it once with my IR thermometer to see if it was an issue and it is frankly cooler than the other relays installed by LR there in the power distribution spot.

Note on Amazon reviews. If you note, this relay is a great example, it is sold by a plethora of different vendors with different labels on the same relay. I think they talk trash about each other and the negative ones provide little details of why. Relays have a coil, this holds the contacts to together. If it is a poorly insulated coil it may get hot. The biggest reason it may get hot is if somebody tries to hook in a fairly large battery that is flat. It will draw, most likely, more current than the contacts are rated for. Then it will melt. You need to ensure that your batteries, in a simple system like this, are AGM lead acid. If you try to mix battery types you can run into problems as they require different charging rules than lead acid. Most of the overpriced charging panels folks seem to flock to are actually just a smallish relay hidden behind cool looking LCDs. A relay is pretty much a relay. You can get a super beefy one, like we use on aircraft, but then, expect to pay hundreds for just the relay. With smaller batteries, like the one I am using, do not draw more than 10-12 amps on initial charge. If they did, I would be more worried about the wire size than the relay. If you downsize the wire too much, then it acts like a resistor and gets hot on its own. All this needs to match up electrically and load wise. Batteries can draw a surprisingly large inrush current. On my Twin Otter aircraft, its starting battery pulls 3,500 amps on initial inrush after a start. That is enough to actually weld with, but it only does that for seconds. The contactors have double ½" contacts to handle it and the wire gauge is huge. Electrical rules and current heating rules are fairly simple, too much current = heat if the pipe it is trying to pass though (relay or wire) is too small.

Be reasonable on what you want to have invested in in car batteries. Remember, too much weight makes you car handle like crap and get poor milage. Batteries are literally lead. Now I was given as a gift, one of the power lunchboxes, or actually cooler sized. It is lighter weight, seems to last a reasonable amount of time has all kinds of outputs, USB A through C, wireless charging on top and an inverter along with 12V. It just takes a fairly long time to charge, especially on solar or 12V. Amp for amp output it is far lighter, just expect it to be charging all day. I do not think I would mount LiPo batteries permanently in the car. A small deficiency in your charging setup or an external factor may cause your vehicle to light off. The tech is evolving. I kept it simple and low tech, I must have almost $50 invested in the system. It works, trouble free. I am moving on to the Defender now, which finally made it to the dealer after a six month order wait. Of course it is waiting for a magic cable that seems to be defective on arrival.

leftcoastal

Appreciate you taking the time here Dogpilot. What your saying makes sense. Rather than take the chance I decided to order the harness for cheap piece of mind. I'll monitor things with my IR gun and see how it goes.

I'm curious as to seeing how well the battery recharges when out roaming on dirt roads where the alternator doesn't really get up to speed.

Dogpilot

If your RPM is about 1200 the alternator will have enough, it is what we use on piston aircraft to set output (we can tweak the output voltage). The alternators are actually re-labled automotive ones. On the Twin Otter I mentioned, I had to bump the power to 66% to toggle the generator on or it would bog the engine down and flameout. That's how much horsepower the generator can draw, on a 650hp engine on initial battery draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior