HELP!! Dana 44 front diff drain plug is stuck. 2nd gen Ram 2500

Ashton

And is driving me ************* insane! I've used a quarter can of penetrating oil and let it soak overnight, heated on it with a butane torch till it ran out, banged on it with a hammer, torqued a wrench on it... I can't get the thing to budge. I need to fill my dana 44 front axle on the 1994 Dodge 2500 LD 4x4 and I can't get the damn differential drain plug out. It is a square 'outtie' bolt (can't use a ratchet), a 16mm open ended wrench fits on it, but I can't get enough leverage to apply more force because I'm not able to jack it up more than a few inches.

I haven't put an actual breaker bar on the wrench, but with my decent strength and blows from the hammer I haven't so much as turned the bolt a quarter turn, so I'm not sure a short breaker bar (a short one being the only size that would fit in the space i have to work) would provide enough torque to get it open. I attempted to get the bolt off when the diff cover was off and I had no luck, which made me think that a solid mount on the truck would give me more resistance. Now I almost threw out the shoulder twice trying to crank on it and I'm at wits end.

Any tips? Magic ceremonies? Plain ol' country engineering? I need help.

rayra

Expedition Leader
if it's moved but not more than a quarter turn are you absolutely certain you are trying to turn it the right direction?

/wouldn't be the first time

Is the issue with jacking the available headroom, or is it max extension on the jack? IF it's the latter get some lumber between jack and floor or jack and vehicle and get it done.

OR

A 1-1/2" or 2" pipe makes a good breaker / extension on a regular combo wrench and you can extend it as far as you have space for, to get more leverage.

Stop hammering.

B

BPD53

I some situations you can put a floor jack under the end of the wrench/breaker bar and pump up the jack to use the weight of the truck to help you.

I've used ratchet straps and chain binders to pull on wrench handles as well. I'm sure everyone has seen the 8 foot piece of pipe with the guy standing on it scenario. I typically don't recommend too long of a lever, but I've been known to pull off the jack handle a time or two.

I have also wasted a lot of time trying to turn the wrench the wrong way. Anybody who laughs at that hasn't been turning wrenches long enough to judge me.

Also, not all penetrating oils are the same. I've tried them all at one time or another. Some people think WD40 is a penetrating oil. People swear by Kroil penetrating oil if you are lucky enough to have a shop that sells it local. I've got some stuff called Loosey Goosey and it's a true penetrating lubricant and works in some situations. I have been in your shoes and tried a different brand penetrating lube after trying the usual stuff and the next day the bolt will seem to fall out.

I guess the bright side is you could always fully remove the cover and find an excuse to upgrade a part.

Good luck and don't give up. The world is full of tough nuts.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Last edited:

eggman918

Adventurer
If you have access to a welder get a nut that will slip over the square and weld it to the plug, then replace it with a socket head pipe plug.

Ashton

Add another wrench to your wrench to act as a breaker bar.

I tried putting the lug nut wrench through the closed wrench portion and use that to torque. I wasn't successful. Is that what you meant?

if it's moved but not more than a quarter turn are you absolutely certain you are trying to turn it the right direction?

/wouldn't be the first time

Is the issue with jacking the available headroom, or is it max extension on the jack? IF it's the latter get some lumber between jack and floor or jack and vehicle and get it done.

OR

A 1-1/2" or 2" pipe makes a good breaker / extension on a regular combo wrench and you can extend it as far as you have space for, to get more leverage.

Stop hammering.

I'm done hammering and heating. I've never understood how expanding the metal is going to loosen the bolt, but I'm Canadian, so what do I know. I'll go snag a 4in piece of 2in EMT after work and see if that gives a little extra leverage, I couldn't find anything that would work for a breaker bar at home yet. I'll have to couple that with some jacking up of the truck to give me room to make torque. That's bout the only other thing I could think of to try last night before I 'bout threw the shoulder out.

I some situations you can put a floor jack under the end of the wrench/breaker bar and pump up the jack to use the weight of the truck to help you.

I've used ratchet straps and chain binders to pull on wrench handles as well. I'm sure everyone has seen the 8 foot piece of pipe with the guy standing on it scenario. I typically don't recommend too long of a lever, but I've been known to pull off the jack handle a time or two.

I have also wasted a lot of time trying to turn the wrench the wrong way. Anybody who laughs at that hasn't been turning wrenches long enough to judge me.

Also, not all penetrating oils are the same. I've tried them all at one time or another. Some people think WD40 is a penetrating oil. People swear by Kroil penetrating oil if you are lucky enough to have a shop that sells it local. I've got some stuff called Loosey Goosey and it's a true penetrating lubricant and works in some situations. I have been in your shoes and tried a different brand penetrating lube after trying the usual stuff and the next day the bolt will seem to fall out.

I guess the bright side is you could always fully remove the cover and find an excuse to upgrade a part.

Good luck and don't give up. The world is full of tough nuts.

Just gotta crack it!!! I hadn't thought to use the jack to apply the pressure... that sounds like it might actually do the trick. Hopefully the wrench bites and holds well. I'm going to check at the hardware store for a 4point socket as well, may be that will be the key. I've warped the square head of the bolt a little, but not beyond repair. Good advice.

x2
Then get a heavy duty cover that has fill & drain built in. Perfect time to get a Lube-Locker gasket as well. :)

Or you can find a Mac, Matco, Snap-on truck and get the correct square drive socket.

ETA:
Or you can get "Same Day shipping" if you have amazon Prime, and want to buy $28 more "same day shipping" stuff...

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-2-Inch-8-Inch-Female-Socket/dp/B006L23LTS

I'm gonna look for a 4 point socket.. I know my 16mm wrench fits on the bolt, so hopefully they have them in that size. A new cover is what I'd love to have, look nice and fancy rolling down the road. EDIT: I see a cover and that gasket for 48 on amazon, and I happen to have a 65 dollar credit on my Amazon account.... if i don't get it open tonight, I'm getting a new cover and gasket.

If you have access to a welder get a nut that will slip over the square and weld it to the plug, then replace it with a socket head pipe plug.

A good idea, last resort option. Since I can't drive the vehicle till I get gear oil in there, I do have one friend who might be able to get his mobile welding truck from work and come by. I'd owe him lots of beer, me thinks.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try a few of these things when I get home and I'll report on any success or failures.

Last edited:

Ashton

Got home and put a large crescent wrench on it, and the 16mm open ended wrench on it and push up on it with the jack. That wasn't budging the bolt at all, the wrenches kept rounding the corners and slipping off from the torque.

More frustration. I'm going to call my mechanic for any hidden gems of information, then go sell a kidney so I can buy a new cover.... unless anyone has been up all night pondering MY dilemma?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Crescent wrench isn't rigid enough for that kind of load and you're already having a problem with rounding. At this point - and if I understand the arrangement correctly, I'd consider putting a nice big pipe wrench on it, properly snugged / biting, and apply the jack to its handle. If there's room to get the head / top jaw of the pipe wrench in there, between the square nut and the cover bulge for the ring gear. Be careful that head doesn't bind on the cover itself, or the jacking force could crack the cover if the pipe wrench is bound up against it..

It will be a little awkward / fiddly as you'll be arranging the pipe wrench against gravity. You'll need to position it just right and get a good bind on it, before placing the jack under its handle and taking all the slack out of the jack / arrangement.

Ashton

Appreciate all the help and thought from this wonderful form. Went ahead and got a Spectre 'performance' Dana 44 diff cover off amazon. Let's hope this fixes it.... and gives me a bit of shiny bling to go get muddy.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Probably the smartest course of action albeit maybe not as amusing for some on the forum. You could've taken it to a dealer and smiled sheepishly? Kudos for taking the smart road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94