Help comparing and advising on RTT, have charts.

Qomomoko

WH7zpEc.jpg

Great insight on tent treatment and fabric

Most of my outing are just same day trips to the everglades, hope overnights to come with a comfi RTT.
The comparison chart was based on the brand websites and email from Tepui.
Having Tepui and Thule be “partners”, I get less than 24-hour response to my questions.
ARB is harder to get in Contact with, waiting (5 days ago sent email).
CVT responded within 2 days but very short. Smittybilt was also less than 2 days but a helpful response.

There was a tent for sale local and I took to long to purchase, A Tepui Ayer Ultralite 2 for $750. I did not think it was SUCH a great deal being used and no warranty since Tepui does not warranty 2nd owners. The tent height of 39” was a small turnoff. Pro would be the price and the weight but the thickness of the canvas is much different than others.
(I have no experience or practical understanding of canvas weight).

Day dreaming, I figure the Ruggedizzed Autana 3 would be Ideal though it is 180# on the roof rack.
Then after many videos, I would venture to say the best bet and bang for the buck is the SmittyBilt.
It is very large, a large annex with covered entry. The weight is not the 200# that had me worried for large tents. The material may not be the best but it appears to be the average material strength.
Some of the reasons for not preferring SmittyBilt is the ladder and the lower quality matress. Telescopic ladder I could buy for under $100 and a King Sizie matress for under $100 too.
I suppose, ignoring the Tepui weight, I would justify purchasing the Ruggedizzed Autana 3 for $1700 ish jejeje. I really like the idea of having a cover at the ladder entry and annex.

I continue to consider the small tent b/c of weight and it is sure to be the most convenient and cost.
I had looked into the goFSR tents but the side windows do not have covers and I imagine during rain they would require closing to maintain the interior closed.
The hard shell I do not consider because they are over $2000 and the bed footprint is way smaller.
CVT, being comparable to Tepui, I feel more comfortable with TEPUI due to communication though CVT seems slightly more expensive.
I did research “Alibaba” tents and the risk/ complication of buying outweighs the price of the SmittyBilt.

On canvas treatment and quality mostly from link above.
Long short, silicone treated is the A+.
PU, polyurethane has been a around for a while.
Impregnated means applying it to both sides of the canvas.
Nylon is very UV sensitive.
PU treatment is more UV sensitive so it is applied to the inside of the canvas usually.
1000 mm water columns the minimum "water proofing" measurement standard though it is easy to obtain 300 mm water column, the matter is making last or maintaining it.
Best fight for condensation is design thru ventilation, upper vents to allow air flow.

A ton more to read
pulling%20hair.gif
, may focus o the mattress next though the fabric is the heard of the tent IMO

Any 2 cents are appreciated.

Last edited:

Qomomoko

Here is another style of tent that I am considering. I saw a box style hard shell and was impressed with it! It was a fellow from tacoma world forum who was part of a group buy; $1750 new and selling for $1250. It is 2 years old and huge, about 95x55 inches.
I am looking at this format of hard shell and fold out. Alibaba has some but of course looks like a group buy is needed and prices range from $500 to $1500 from China.
The links below are for Pittmann outdoors 2-3 person hard tent and it is also on amazon Pitmann tent $3000

Pittmann hard tent 3 persons.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior