Help choosing the right vehicle

85_Ranger4x4

Think you'd like the F150 with the 2.7l and increased payload option... don't remember what they call it. It isn't the HDPP with that engine, but still >1 ton payload.

Unless you want a bigger camper...

There is a '16 XL with a coyote at the local Mopar lot that really checks about every box. Trying to avoid driving past there now...

Wife has a new Bronco ordered and I would like to know for sure how that plays out before I take on a payment too.

Dang I want that truck though, the only difference between it and the truck I would order is the color, I probably wouldn't go with white given the option.

GA Native

They had a rear axle recall early on for locking up at speed too.

I looked into a taco for awhile in 17, followed a taco group for awhile on FB. Stuck around long after I wrote the truck off for the comedy factor as a fly on the wall. Constant chatter if the newest update fixed the trans (general consensus as far as I know it never did as of when I left the group about a year ago) and people complaining about sub 20mpg fuel economy and subsequently getting eaten alive by the masses for complaining about the fuel economy of a 4wd truck.

Just nothing really to write home about and they didn't seem that much better thought out than anything else. Lots of weird excuses that people just eat up too to justify an outdated brand new truck. I didn't plan on lifting one if I got one but it struck me as weird the commotion you had to go thru to lift one correctly. The cab is in general poorly designed. The seat is like on the floor and the roof is too low but the rockers are high. I sat in a few and never mastered the art of falling into one. A guy has to like curl up so you dont hit your head while getting your legs pulled up at the same time getting ready to basically sit on the floor... just not a great plan for a sasquatch like me.

I did like the shallow bed which most guys don't like. A lot of people rag on it for "bed volume" but I like a bed that is actualy useable.

So combine a peaky V6 with a confused transmission with a horrible cab = no dice for me.

So I wrote the Taco off for a Ranger when it launched which has a far superior powertrain IMO (2.3 can actually get decent mileage when not making good useable power and the 10spd actually knew what it was doing) and was enamored with that until I entered the realm of rear facing car seats and then a slide in camper side quest last year finally killed the midsize plan for good. Now I am thinking '150/250... maybe 2500 Ram... I dunno.

Not a first time truck buyer by any means, I started out with my '85 in 2000 the same year I got my license. I have had my current F-150 dd since June of 2005.

Just my $.02

Glad to hear your Ranger worked out for you. I had one in the 90's and really liked it. I considered the new one but was unsure about the turbocharged engine and longevity.I forgot about the early 2016 axle problems. Did you ever hear an explanation? The 3rd gen Tacoma definitely has its faults and has a very emotional fanbase. I lurk around tacomaworld for the entertainment value. My 17 doublecab which has a modest lift, sliders, skid plates, shell, drawer system, e load tires, and a winch gets 15-18 mpg which is okay I guess. The 21 is a bone stock access cab and gets 26-28 mpg on my interstate commute. If I drive above 75, I take a pretty good hit. My neighbor has a 250 and has nothing but great things to say about it. Good luck with your search.

85_Ranger4x4

I don't think anybody ever knew what was going on with the axles. If they didn't change the oil/spec it must have been a bearing or setup problem I would guess.

Tacoma isn't rated super awesome on the mpg, like 18/22 so you are definitely doing pretty good with what you have going on, especially your '21 if it is 4wd. Most guys at the time with TRD OR's were like around 18mpg on a stock truck.

My Ranger... is hardly a Ranger anymore. It got me thru high school in stock form like it was intended... the previous owner did it no favors with the engine. It all started with a V8 swap 10 years ago... and now it is basically a mini F-150.

CoreyHendo

As an owner of a 2020 Ford Ranger, I'd like to add my perspective. My family has always been a GM truck family. My last truck was a 1999 GMC Sierra. I had decided, without driving, that I thought I wanted a ZR2. I love the looks and capability of the truck. I mainly do beach driving, but wanted to get into some mild off-roading -- fire roads and basic trails, but no rock crawling. Owning two modern diesels, I knew I didn't want the 2.8 Duramax, so I located a v6 ZR2 locally and went for a test drive.

On the road, the ZR2 handles well. The ride is soft and supple for a pickup. The steering and brakes felt great, too. The seats are ok, but the plastic side trim is VERY high and I could actually feel it while sitting in the seat (I weigh 230lbs and have a 34" waist so I'm likely larger than average, but not huge). This would have been totally uncomfortable on a trip longer than something down the street. The seating position is nice and upright, though. The infotainment system is nothing to write home about, but it's easy to use and looks nice. The upgraded stereo sounded good enough for what it is. I like the power the v6 delivered; enough down low grunt, but felt powerful as it revved, too. The transmission shift without any issues (read tons of complaints about shuddering/shifting problems). The ZR2 was totally lacking in the tech department, though. It's been a year since I drove it, but I remember it not having any driver aids (radar cruise, collision avoidance, etc), no push button start, etc. I was struggling with the asking price over what I was getting at this point, because while the ZR2 package is special, it's missing many modern features.

After the test drive I was speaking to a friend who is a Ford parts guy and he recommended I come drive a new Ranger. Said he'd hook me up with the sales manager so I could drive one without all the sales pitches so off to Ford I went. I knew I wanted a Lariat with the FX4 and Sport Packages (no chrome and I like the FX4 bash/skid plate in the front). I test drove a Magnetic Gray FX4 with Sport package and 501a. At the time, this was basically all the options. The ride was great on smooth roads, but over anything bumpy, it was not anywhere near as composed as the ZR2 (the Multimatic DSV shocks are fantastic). Steering was great; a little light, but still had decent feedback. Brakes were a little soft, but all modern Fords are this way. The radar cruise and lane departure warning systems are fantastic. They work flawlessly, aren't too obtrusive, and can be turned off if you don't like them. The 2.3 liter Ecoboost is a powerhouse in a small truck. It has torque everywhere and pulls HARD up top. It also sounds AMAZING thanks to the engine sounds Ford pumps in the cabin. The 10-speed transmission fires off shifts like nothing I had experienced short of a ZF/Aisin 8-speeds used in German vehicles. The B&O sound system, like the ZR2's setup, was acceptable. The seats in the Ranger are soft, supportive, and comfortable.

I also looked at a Tacoma, but the cab is so uncomfortable, that there was no way I could do it. The seats ride VERY low and your legs are nearly straight out. This is great in a sports car, but not a pickup. The engine has NO power down low. I felt like there was no way you'd ever get decent fuel economy with it if you always had the accelerator on the floor. Tech is severely lacking in these trucks as well.

When I finally made a decision, the fact that I drive the truck 98% of it's life on road getting to a beach or trail meant I really should weigh the aspects that make it a better on road vehicle more heavily than the front locker or better offroad tires. The only thing the ZR2 did better was the ride quality, but I knew I'd eventually do a lift/level and put different wheels/tires on it so I could "fix" that. I have just over 10k miles on my Ranger, and we've been up and down the Outer Banks of NC MANY times. It's served us very well and I'm very happy with the truck.

Overwatch21

As an owner of a 2020 Ford Ranger, I'd like to add my perspective. My family has always been a GM truck family. My last truck was a 1999 GMC Sierra. I had decided, without driving, that I thought I wanted a ZR2. I love the looks and capability of the truck. I mainly do beach driving, but wanted to get into some mild off-roading -- fire roads and basic trails, but no rock crawling. Owning two modern diesels, I knew I didn't want the 2.8 Duramax, so I located a v6 ZR2 locally and went for a test drive.

On the road, the ZR2 handles well. The ride is soft and supple for a pickup. The steering and brakes felt great, too. The seats are ok, but the plastic side trim is VERY high and I could actually feel it while sitting in the seat (I weigh 230lbs and have a 34" waist so I'm likely larger than average, but not huge). This would have been totally uncomfortable on a trip longer than something down the street. The seating position is nice and upright, though. The infotainment system is nothing to write home about, but it's easy to use and looks nice. The upgraded stereo sounded good enough for what it is. I like the power the v6 delivered; enough down low grunt, but felt powerful as it revved, too. The transmission shift without any issues (read tons of complaints about shuddering/shifting problems). The ZR2 was totally lacking in the tech department, though. It's been a year since I drove it, but I remember it not having any driver aids (radar cruise, collision avoidance, etc), no push button start, etc. I was struggling with the asking price over what I was getting at this point, because while the ZR2 package is special, it's missing many modern features.

After the test drive I was speaking to a friend who is a Ford parts guy and he recommended I come drive a new Ranger. Said he'd hook me up with the sales manager so I could drive one without all the sales pitches so off to Ford I went. I knew I wanted a Lariat with the FX4 and Sport Packages (no chrome and I like the FX4 bash/skid plate in the front). I test drove a Magnetic Gray FX4 with Sport package and 501a. At the time, this was basically all the options. The ride was great on smooth roads, but over anything bumpy, it was not anywhere near as composed as the ZR2 (the Multimatic DSV shocks are fantastic). Steering was great; a little light, but still had decent feedback. Brakes were a little soft, but all modern Fords are this way. The radar cruise and lane departure warning systems are fantastic. They work flawlessly, aren't too obtrusive, and can be turned off if you don't like them. The 2.3 liter Ecoboost is a powerhouse in a small truck. It has torque everywhere and pulls HARD up top. It also sounds AMAZING thanks to the engine sounds Ford pumps in the cabin. The 10-speed transmission fires off shifts like nothing I had experienced short of a ZF/Aisin 8-speeds used in German vehicles. The B&O sound system, like the ZR2's setup, was acceptable. The seats in the Ranger are soft, supportive, and comfortable.

I also looked at a Tacoma, but the cab is so uncomfortable, that there was no way I could do it. The seats ride VERY low and your legs are nearly straight out. This is great in a sports car, but not a pickup. The engine has NO power down low. I felt like there was no way you'd ever get decent fuel economy with it if you always had the accelerator on the floor. Tech is severely lacking in these trucks as well.

When I finally made a decision, the fact that I drive the truck 98% of it's life on road getting to a beach or trail meant I really should weigh the aspects that make it a better on road vehicle more heavily than the front locker or better offroad tires. The only thing the ZR2 did better was the ride quality, but I knew I'd eventually do a lift/level and put different wheels/tires on it so I could "fix" that. I have just over 10k miles on my Ranger, and we've been up and down the Outer Banks of NC MANY times. It's served us very well and I'm very happy with the truck.

Thanks for the review. I agree with you. I drove the Ranger and I liked it. Honestly, I like the Ranger, ZR2 and 4Runner equally, just in different ways. I could easily live with all 3 and be happy. I chose the ZR2 Bison in the end. I love the look, front lockers and how firm the ride is on road. It doesn't have the usual bouncy/floaty feel most off road trucks have. However, some prefer that. There are some downsides to the ZR2 - mainly interior and placement of rear shocks. The 8 speed automatic is great. One of the best, smoothest I've driven. I liked the Ranger automatic as well, although it is much more busy with its 10 gears. Both great trucks.

I was able to get this ZR2 Bison for $45k. It had 2,167 miles on it. Someone with more money then they know what to do with bought it, barely drove it over the course of 5 months, and traded it in for a Ford EV Mustang Mach E. I fell right into this deal. Due to limited supply, prices of regular ZR2's are in the mid to upper $40k's. My truck is a CPO with a 6 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Attachments

• IMG-1852.jpg
    IMG-1852.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-1851.jpg
    IMG-1851.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-1648.jpg
    IMG-1648.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-1703.jpg
    IMG-1703.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-1706.jpg
    IMG-1706.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22

CoreyHendo

Thanks for the review. I agree with you. I drove the Ranger and I liked it. Honestly, I like the Ranger, ZR2 and 4Runner equally, just in different ways. I could easily live with all 3 and be happy. I chose the ZR2 Bison in the end....
Very nice truck. I didn't realize you ended up buying the one you posted pictures of prior. Congratulations on the purchase and cheers to getting out on some adventrues!

CoreyHendo

*The Ranger has much better towing and payload than the ZR2, making it a very capable OL rig.
This is true. I have a 5x10 utility trailer that I tow with my wife's diesel Touareg, but I don't see it ever getting close to the 7500 lb capacity. On a related note, I do wish the Ranger had a factory integrated brake controller like the the Colorado.

EDIT: added a couple pics

Attachments

• 513C12D0-6BE5-4CAE-8E47-407AF9AB899E.JPG
    513C12D0-6BE5-4CAE-8E47-407AF9AB899E.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • Corey Ranger 4.jpg
    Corey Ranger 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31

Overwatch21

This is true. I have a 5x10 utility trailer that I tow with my wife's diesel Touareg, but I don't see it ever getting close to the 7500 lb capacity. On a related note, I do wish the Ranger had a factory integrated brake controller like the the Colorado.

EDIT: added a couple pics

Really nice!

Kiriesh

Adventurer

Adding my perspective on to this for anyone who looks later- I recently test drove a Ranger Tremor, ZR2 Bison (diesel), and 4runner and in general I definitely agree the Ford comes out ahead in the tech department. The 2.3L definitely feels sufficient and zippy on the street and the truck drives remarkably like a mini-F150.

I ended up going with the bison because I wanted something I could comfortably take on light/medium trails without feeling like it needs any major modifications and it felt like a fantastic off-the-shelf option. That being said all three (ranger, colorado, 4runner) are phenomenal options.

Overwatch21

Adding my perspective on to this for anyone who looks later- I recently test drove a Ranger Tremor, ZR2 Bison (diesel), and 4runner and in general I definitely agree the Ford comes out ahead in the tech department. The 2.3L definitely feels sufficient and zippy on the street and the truck drives remarkably like a mini-F150.

I ended up going with the bison because I wanted something I could comfortably take on light/medium trails without feeling like it needs any major modifications and it felt like a fantastic off-the-shelf option. That being said all three (ranger, colorado, 4runner) are phenomenal options.
Completely agree and feel the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles