Help choosing 4x4 Sprinter.

ucs308

Observer
I have read through A LOT of build threads, but still need a little help.

I want to transition from a 4Runner (sleeping on the roof) to sleeping inside. The 4x4 Sprinter (converted or factory) is high on my list but I am concerned about getting stuck (i.e. stuck off-road ) in a long (170) Sprinter, so I am trying hard to make a short (144) work for me. There is a 100cu.ft difference between the 170 and 144 which is a lot of space, but even with a lift and 4x4 I am not sure that the 170 won't get stuck crossing a small dry creek bed or something like that.

I am looking for examples of Sprinter builds that have comfortable seating for 3 minimum and sleeping for at least three.

I am also interested in any thoughts on ways/examples of how to mitigate possible issues with approach and departure angles on the Sprinters.

Thanks in advance.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm sure others will be able to provide some real-world examples of shorter-wheelbase Sprinter conversions, but I can offer this:

The "short" 144" WB Sprinter is still more than 43" LONGER than my Astro van. I've got a cozy setup with a fridge and toilet and the lower bunk easily sleeps 2, and we use a pop-top for our third. Something with the massive overhead height of a Sprinter and nearly four feet longer than my rig could easily accommodate another bunk and much more internal storage.

Unless you plan to haul motos or long surf/SUP boards INSIDE, I'm sure the 144" model could be made to work quite easily.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The approach/departure angles are a function of front/rear overhangs and ground clearance. Period. There is little to be done to improve them on a sprinter except increasing ground clearance.

Mitigating them on the road is a matter of driving technique. Choosing lines, using angles to traverse obstacles. You will still be limited in a 170, simply due to the breakover, and larger rear overhang. Where specifically do you plan on driving your sprinter that makes you concerned about getting stuck?

The 144/140" sprinters are quite roomy. Fitting three is not an issue unless you need to fit large and bulky gear inside at the same time. I have seen many builds with bunk beds that easily accommodate 3 people. I am assuming your 3rd is a child? If so that makes it easier, as shorter beds are much easier to work with. With the high roof, you can put lots of light bulky stuff near the roof in cabinetry, this leaves lots of space down low for seating/sleeping.

Have you checked out the sprinter-source.com conversion forums? Lots of great examples over there.

Heck, even my build could accommodate a shorter person sleeping on the bench seat for 3 total.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I have a 158 Sprinter and its set up with a three person bench seat and then a queen size bed behind that and there is still about 2-1/2 feet before the rear door. So on a 144 wheel base you should be able to have a similar setup with the bed just about reaching the rear door. My bed is placed just below the window level and there is plenty of room under it for my two boys to sleep on the floor with the wife and I in the bed. It is great having the full front seating area for 5 people always being available (i.e. not requiring it to be made into a bed) as it allows people to go to bed early or get up early without impacting others. With a 144 van it might feel a bit claustrophobic sleeping underneath if there wasn't a decent amount of room left at the back between the bed and the rear doors though...

One issue to consider is the conversion option being offered by Van Compass is for the earlier T1N vans only at this point (2002 to 2006) - so that would require a 140 wheelbase van and not the 144. There are some of the white feather conversions out there of the 144's NV3 van (2007 on) or there are the new 4x4 vans as well.

ucs308

Observer
I have been talking to WhiteFeather since they are close to me. Though I have also noticed some disparaging comments, around the web, about Whitefeather's work. But my plan is to use them, or buy a 4x4 from the factory.

ucs308

Observer
@luthj I found SprinterSource a couple of weeks ago and have just started looking. And thanks for answering the question about your induction setup. Reading through Geek's thread.

Desert Dan

Explorer
You might want to look into Ford Transit as the have a 130" and 148" wheelbase model and 3 roof heights.
Quigley is doing the 4x4 conversion.

For comparison an old style Ford Econoline Van wheelbase is 138"

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think the whitefeather conversion isn't a bad option - just that there are tradeoffs involved. A solid axle front suspension is definitely more rugged and simpler - but it requires a bit more height and that has impacts on handling etc. Also - the hybrid ford axle / mercedes van makes servicing more specialized - although that just means avoiding a dealership which most of us do anyways after the warranty is up.

Very interested in hearing which option you go with. The Ford Transit with a Quigley or Quadvan 4x4 conversion is another option - especially if you are considering traveling to Mexico or south where the quality of diesel fuel may be an issue with the modern diesel engines and emission systems.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Just checked - the Ford Transit 148 actually has a slightly shorter rear overhang than the 130 wheelbase van - and you can only get the high top on the 148 version. You can only get a low or medium roof on the 130 - interior height is 68 inches for the medium versus 77 inches for the high top - exterior height is 99 inches for the medium versus 108 inches for the high top.

To me - being able to stand up inside makes a difference - so I would go with the high top with 77 inches / 6 foot 5 inches. The medium roof at 68 inches / 5 foot 8 inches is just a bit too low. With a high top you can do storage cabinets or net storage along the sides of the ceilings for lightweight items.

yelnam

I'm in line for a 130" low roof Transit with Quigley 4x4 and Colorado Camper Van poptop. This will suit our family well being mobile and with the bed upstairs for our son. But everyone's needs and lifestyle are different.

A good source of info for the Transit is the fordtransitusaforum.com. Sportsmobile and Van Specialties among others are camper upfitters. Pros and cons vs Sprinter but worth considering repair costs, a gas engine option, and number of dealers that can work on them ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucs308

Observer
@Haf-E I completely agree, standing is key. When we travel it tends to be for several weeks at a time, and generally pretty far from nearest store. If I can find a way to put the rear bed on lifts, the high roof will be key. I think I saw somebody doing that somewhere. Thanks for the info on Fords. I'll take a look.

@yelnam Thanks for the link to the ford forums. I'll definitely read through that. My original plan was a low top with a pop-top. But I am not sure that will work well for us for long trips, over the long term. It is however a great way to get additional sleeping space.

I'll try and compare the approach and departure angles on the Ford v Sprinter too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior