Help Building LR4 and locating HD Package

ryrytom

Hello,

Long time Jeep owner (had to sell mine when first child arrived)....now that I have two kids I am looking for a bigger family vehicle.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can track down a used LR4 with the HD Package ? I have seen posts on here about doing a VIN Scan / Decoder - but when I try this the decoder site only gives a few pieces of general information. When I call upon Rover dealers they know exactly what I am talking about - but anyone else has no clue or can't tell me since they no longer have original window sticker.

Any other helpful advice for first time Rover owner on building a family Overland LR4 would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RyRy

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Get a photo of the rear axle, one will have a solenoid one will not.
Used to be the case that a full sized matching spare indicated HD package and so a locking diff.

ishapiro

You can also check the full specs (as built) of the particular VIN through LandRover's Topix website. Let me know if you can't find it and will try to look it up for you.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ryrytom

Thank you for help, I created an account. So just making sure I am doing this correctly:

So when I search a VIN, and then click full vehicle details, then minor features - do a search for "locking". I get this: which means HD package:

1525397733885.png

LR Max

Local Oaf
Any SCV6 with low range will have the rear locker. Also, that 8 speed seems awesome. I've heard great things from guys who tow with it. Kind of want. I did some quick calcs and the gearing is just fabulous.

To confirm when you see the vehicle, put it in off road height. Then use your flashlight to look through the passenger rear wheel well. Look for an actuator on the top of the Diff pinion. Be careful, there is another...thing...that looks like it over top of the actual diff. This is not the same.

Really, don't worry about it. My LR3 is open/open and it is just fine off road. And that is getting sporty in the muddy ruts with stock tires.

Look in Boise, ID for a car. Seriously seems like that is the capital of "reasonably priced" used cars.

Ray_G

Explorer
I'll do my usual: why do you need a rear locker?

(Bc with this platform the vast majority never need it, but somehow it's a discriminator as though it will overcome the lack of MTs and the vehicles inherent weight challenges).

By all means, if you can find one it's worth buying but it would be far from the first criteria I'd use when looking for a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ishapiro

I would disagree. While the platform is quite capable the locker definitely helps. I have actually retrofitted it on my LR4

Ray_G

Explorer
My experience is that it does help, but doesn't help nearly as much as appropriate tires.

What is also difficult to quantify are questions like:
-does it help so much that the cost of finding one in terms of time is worth it compared to other attributes worth finding? (maint history, other options, and maint history)
-does it help so much that the cost of installing one/retrofitting one overcomes other stark realities of wheeling one of these trucks that couldn't be better overcome with other things (traction aids like maxtrax, a winch, etc). (Relatedly, does it help/hinder mechanical sympathy as it relates to wheeling a 5500# truck significantly)

The main reason I raise the issue is because on a variety of mediums folks start a search with 'I need an HD LR3 or LR4' but we very rarely explore the 'what is the intended application of the truck that drives that perceived need.'

That's a discussion worth having, in my opinion.

ishapiro

Yes. You raise very good points. The mechanical condition of the truck, the tire choice, service history are more important points to consider.

spikemd

Explorer
There many more locking diffs on later vehicles and most LUX models from 2014 on have then. When my buddy was looking, he found any LR4 with these wheels on had locking diff. So far, it has been correct for about 10 trucks we looked into.

20170920_130812-1664x1248.jpg

kissmywassp

Observer
I think the HD package has done a dis service to LR3/4 sellers. It seems that this has become the make or break factor for people looking for an LR, that do actually go wheeling, & have never owned an LR prior. It seems they may underestimate the ability of the trucks that don’t have the HD. My LR3 has never let me down off road & does anything I am willing to ask of it with ease. I think if you want an LR3/4 & want to go off-roading, time will be much more well spent finding one well maintained & with maybe some off road kitting, rather than wasting time for a unicorn truck with something that has a good chance of never being used... as the HD package, I know the 3 & pretty sure the 4 as well, is an E locker meaning the truck will use it if it deems fit, so even if you do find one with it, it can’t be engaged at will. So if the locker is an absolute must you would probably be better off installing an after market ARB, that can be locked when desired.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
It seems that this has become the make or break factor for people looking for an LR... ....even if you do find one with it, it can’t be engaged at will.... ...if the locker is an absolute must you would probably be better off installing an after market ARB, that can be locked when desired.

I agree with you and others like Ray above.

>A winch and good tires are a huge benefit for reasonable prices.
>E locker needs special expensive fluid
>Traction computer on those cars is already magic and light years ahead of the LT230 driven generations.
>Finding a good car that also has HD as they get older could mean ignoring great cars for good cars because the good car has HD.

and the obligatory

>Camel Trophy didn't have lockers.

LR Max

Local Oaf
X2. I ended up buying a non-HD truck. The rest of it was too good to pass up. It literally checked all the marks except for the rear locker. Price, condition, history, 5 seat spec, dash pocket, and overall just a nice truck.

That said, its going to work out in the end. Early next year I'll do an ARB OBA and rear ARB air locker. Which will be very capable at the end. Until then, TC has been good to me. HDC is kinda useless but whatever. Either its too slow or too fast.

Or look for a SCV6 truck with low range. It'll have the rear locker. Oh...and that 8 speed transmission 1st gear...5:1...yyyyaaaassss.

Best investment I made was spending the time and money to get the 17" wheels and "real off-road" capable rubber on the wheels. The TC is fantastic and more than likely I'll break an axle before I'll need a locker anyway. Having tires with optimum traction keeps the wheel spin down and the TC doing what it needs to when only it needs too!

I'm sure the locker does provide some good traction for the crap tires most of us had to run due to 18-19" wheel options. There are better options out now but still nothing like the 16-17" realm options.

On that note, if the diffs blow up, I'll rebuild them with ARB air-lockers! Until then, I see no reason to crack into a near perfect system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94