Help: 80 Series Flatbed Build Out?

Hi all - Exploring the possibility of using this FJ80 Ute for a flatbed camper (possibly FWC Hawk or Fleet).
Is it possible to extend the length of the flatbed to accommodate the camper?

I realize we will most likely be over the weight limit, and this idea is also pending whether or not FWC can put one of these campers on such a flatbed.
Seeking the best of both worlds... LC Chassis and the spaciousness of a camper for a RTW journey.

Your expertise and insights are welcome, thank you!

Ute.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’ll be honest. I’ve never understood the fascination with chopping the back off a perfectly good Land Cruiser to make a ute. If you want a Land Cruiser ute, buy a 70 series.

That opinion aside, I’m fairly certain you could mod the 80 to handle the weight, but the wheelbase isn’t going to change, and that is where the issue will lie. The FWC will be so far back that even being as light as it is, it will have your nose pointing at the tree tops.

If you look at the dimensions below (FWC Fleet), you see that the floor of the camper is 91” long. That will put almost 8’ of camper BEHIND your axle. No bueno!
E6D816E7-74DA-436C-A54A-114640DB734F.png

Last edited:
That's really helpful feedback and I appreciate your insights... what you're saying makes total sense. I wish it were easier to get my hands on a 70 series ute here in the U.S.! If anyone here is selling one or knows someone who is, please let me know. The other option I'd love is a Troopy with a pop top. Seen a few posted here and on ih8mud... not quite a match for my needs.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I have to agree. Unless you are willing/able to extend the wheelbase to accommodate the longer flatbed, you will not be happy as is. Too much weight behind the rear axle will make for a poor handling vehicle.

Jack

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I wish it were easier to get my hands on a 70 series ute here in the U.S.!

You and every other person of sound mind! Toyota needs to figure out that there is a market here for the 70 series.

I’m guessing you are from overseas by the use of “ute” regularly. The 80 series chop looks to be rhd and is quintessentially Aussie. If you have a bit of time, I’d look into having a 70 shipped over. If you get an early ‘94 or older, it’s really straight forward to import. Once landed it will be worth 3-4x what it would cost to buy in Oz.

I have to agree. Unless you are willing/able to extend the wheelbase to accommodate the longer flatbed, you will not be happy as is. Too much weight behind the rear axle will make for a poor handling vehicle.

Jack

Thanks for your input, Jack. That’s definitely more than we want to dive into at this time. ?

You and every other person of sound mind! Toyota needs to figure out that there is a market here for the 70 series.

I’m guessing you are from overseas by the use of “ute” regularly. The 80 series chop looks to be rhd and is quintessentially Aussie. If you have a bit of time, I’d look into having a 70 shipped over. If you get an early ‘94 or older, it’s really straight forward to import. Once landed it will be worth 3-4x what it would cost to buy in Oz.

@redthies — Nah, not from overseas. Must be under the influence of the Aussies I’ve been watching on YouTube! ?
Thanks for the suggestion re: an import. Been playing some phone tag with Steve at LC Direct. Have you gone through such a process? I’m wondering if we’re biting off more than we can chew as newbies to Overlanding. The learning curve feels daunting at times ? but will be totally worth it.

Box Rocket

I’ll be honest. I’ve never understood the fascination with chopping the back off a perfectly good Land Cruiser to make a ute. If you want a Land Cruiser ute, buy a 70 series.

That opinion aside, I’m fairly certain you could mod the 80 to handle the weight, but the wheelbase isn’t going to change, and that is where the issue will lie. The FWC will be so far back that even being as light as it is, it will have your nose pointing at the tree tops.

If you look at the dimensions below (FWC Fleet), you see that the floor of the camper is 91” long. That will put almost 8’ of camper BEHIND your axle. No bueno!
View attachment 497448
There are several benefits to the 80 series chassis over a 70 series for a ute conversion. Personally, I'd much rather chop an 80 series and build a ute than do a 70 series. Here's a few things that come to mind as differences. Depending on the age, the 70 series will be leaf sprung either at both ends or at least the rear end. The linked coil suspension of the 80 series would be so much nicer in terms of ride and comfort and can be set up for plenty of load capacity. Also depending on the year the 7x series with coil front suspension has a narrower rear axle. Track width is 4" narrower in the rear. I have never really understood why Toyota chose to do that but it's something that is, at a minimum, annoying, and ideally something that needs to be changed with an axle swap. There are rear coil conversion kits for the 7x series but they are very expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 7x series and the styling is one of the best ever in the Land Cruiser line IMO. But I believe there is a reason why 80 series ute conversions are as common as they are (especially in Aus). So I fully support the idea of the OP.

But as has been mentioned, to add a camper properly the frame would need to be extended and wheelbase lengthened. Keeping the rear axle in the stock location would put way too much weight and leverage behind the axle with a camper.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Oh I get the potential chassis advantages of the 80, but unless you chop it as a single cab, there’s no way it’s going to work. I’ve spent time in all series of LCs except 200s, and 80s and 100s are definitely the pinnacle in my mind. I’m not a tech fan so the 70 works for me. I also drive a leaf/coil 1ton daily so I’m not afraid of the ride.

Box Rocket

Oh I get the potential chassis advantages of the 80, but unless you chop it as a single cab, there’s no way it’s going to work. I’ve spent time in all series of LCs except 200s, and 80s and 100s are definitely the pinnacle in my mind. I’m not a tech fan so the 70 works for me. I also drive a leaf/coil 1ton daily so I’m not afraid of the ride.
Correct, the only way to make a camper conversion work properly is to extend the wheelbase or chop it to a single cab rather than a double cab. The stock wheelbase and 4 doors can work great if the rear is just a storage canopy that isn't much longer than the original body.

I'm a huge fan of the 80s but depending on the intended use, I don't think it's the pinnacle of Land Cruisers. I've spent time in almost all series of Cruisers too. Having spent time in several 200 Series they are serious rigs. Sure there's lots of tech in them but for a number of reasons the 200 is better than the 80 or 100. Only thing going against it is lack of solid front axle if that is important to you. But there is nothing "soft" about them. Totally live up to the Land Cruiser name.

I've been researching this for quite a while as I plan to build one with my son from an 80.
This is about as long of a tray/canopy you could do with a 4 door 80 without changing the wheelbase. It's about a 5' bed from what I've been able to find out.
Utes by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Another one of similar length. Still wouldn't be long enough to sleep in. Maybe more importantly is the amount of weight added.

This is a more common/reasonable length tray/canopy for a 4 door 80. This one is only a few inches longer than the frame.

But either doing a single cab, or extending the wheelbase for a 4 door would give the necessary length and axle in a good location for a camper.
Single cab
44791752_10156558279870450_3806361594384875520_n by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

double cab with extended wheelbase.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I put a ton on miles on this new 79 series recently and I would not trade it for my 80 series. The 79 series is a work truck and although it drives ok its not that comfortable and very noisy. Also its tough to fit four guys inside.

IMG_0124.JPG
Tom's has done some nice 4 door cruisers

csm_land_cruiser_hdj80_expeditionsmobil_c_345149dd47.jpg

If one only needs 2 doors Maltec would be my choice

dj3n25MYRYWcqUKFVehFdA.jpg

Box Rocket

I put a ton on miles on this new 79 series recently and I would not trade it for my 80 series. The 79 series is a work truck and although it drives ok its not that comfortable and very noisy. Also its tough to fit four guys inside.

View attachment 498006
Tom's has done some nice 4 door cruisers

View attachment 498009

If one only needs 2 doors Maltec would be my choice

View attachment 498010
I agree. A Maltec camper conversion would the way to go for a complete permanent camper solution.

There are several benefits to the 80 series chassis over a 70 series for a ute conversion. Personally, I'd much rather chop an 80 series and build a ute than do a 70 series. Here's a few things that come to mind as differences. Depending on the age, the 70 series will be leaf sprung either at both ends or at least the rear end. The linked coil suspension of the 80 series would be so much nicer in terms of ride and comfort and can be set up for plenty of load capacity. Also depending on the year the 7x series with coil front suspension has a narrower rear axle. Track width is 4" narrower in the rear. I have never really understood why Toyota chose to do that but it's something that is, at a minimum, annoying, and ideally something that needs to be changed with an axle swap. There are rear coil conversion kits for the 7x series but they are very expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 7x series and the styling is one of the best ever in the Land Cruiser line IMO. But I believe there is a reason why 80 series ute conversions are as common as they are (especially in Aus). So I fully support the idea of the OP.

But as has been mentioned, to add a camper properly the frame would need to be extended and wheelbase lengthened. Keeping the rear axle in the stock location would put way too much weight and leverage behind the axle with a camper.

Thanks Adam. Very cool that you’re planning to build one with your son. Will you keep the double cab with the short bed, or do a conversion to single cab? What will you use it for? Thanks for all the great pics, love seeing all the variations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles