HELP! 05 Rubicon e-lockers wont' disengage

dakdoc

Observer
Help! I just had my 05 Rubicon's rear end apart to replace the inner and outer axle seals. Now the rear electric locker won't disengage. The front is still working fine. The rear, however, will not disengage no matter what I do. I've tried cycling the rear lockers while in 4L. I've tried starting and stopping the engine (thinking maybe the computer needed to reset or something).

Has anyone else had this problem? Could something not have been re-installed properly? Does it sound mechanical or electrically related to the lockers?

Thanks guys,

Jon

I thought the 05's had air lockers? Mine did. Anyways if it's not disengaging can you hear the compressor located on the belly skid running? Have someone activate the front locker while your under there and you should hear it run for a second. If I still remember correctly the lockers use a burst of air to engage or disengage so a broken air line would leave it in the last state it was in. Check to make sure it's all plugged in and there are no leaks. If its an 06 with the e locker( bought in 05, I still make that mistake myself I bought mine in 04) I would start checking all the connections, but that's about all the help I'd be for those. Good luck

irish1371

Adventurer
do a search on the wrangler board for your problem, there is about 3-4 different things that will cause this. I would think you got something turned around and now it won't let go

4lowdean

Observer
A 2005 should be an air actuated locker. Chances are you either have a bad relay or a clogged/kinked air line. You could also now have debris inside the differential that is somehow "jamming" the locker.

steve578

I'm willing to bet you have the fill plug too tight. Try loosening the fill plug before tearing anything apart. Like others have said, the stock locker is air actuated, not electric.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm willing to bet you have the fill plug too tight. Try loosening the fill plug before tearing anything apart. Like others have said, the stock locker is air actuated, not electric.

That's my guess (been there, done that).

There isn't much clearance in there & unlike ARB lockers, the Rubicon air lockers have very light springs holding the ring in the disengaged position. They are light enough that they are overcome by about 3psi (IIRC) from the air pump. It doesn't take much drag from the fill plug to bind it up.

squint

Adventurer
I made this mistake as well. fairly common.

Token

Explorer
Went through this about a month ago on my 03 after a regear..

Open the rear end back up..

Loosen the bearing cap on the right side where the locker actuator plate fits under the bolts..

Turn key on, turn locker on..

Tighten bearing cap bolts back down..

Turn locker off, close everything back up and put the fluid back in there..

The directions from the FSM actually say to put a 1/4 drill bit between the actuator and the pressure plate prior to tightening the bear cap bolts down to spec...

dakdoc

Observer
seems there is a plunger that runs that dash light that can hang the locker into a partially locked posistion

View attachment 102447View attachment 102448

Irish 1371, you were absolutely correct. When the mechanic reinstalled the ring gear and carrier, the little plunger inside the differential which is pulled out when the locker is actuated (only function is to turn locker light on dash) was on the wrong side of the actuator. The entire rear end had to be disassembeled and the plunger hooked with a wire and pulled out from inside while the carrier was reinstalled. What a pain. Under any circumstances, don't ever ever ever unscrew the plunger from the differential (located on the top and passenger side of the rear end), as you will have about 8 hrs of labor to disassemble the rear end as described to get the plunger back on the correct side of the actuator. It is impossible to do without disassembely. What a terrible design! Shame on you, Jeep!

irish1371

Adventurer
been moving so have not been on for a bit. I'm glad to have helped. Nothing sucks more then not being able to track down a problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior