hello from Ga

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
hello, i didn't really know where to post this but sense i have a tacoma thought i would do it here. I've got a 98 tacoma x-cab, 4x4, v6 5-speed, no major mods except for the grey wire, love having that locker in 2wd. standard 31x10.50x15. want to put a small lift on and some 32-11.5 or maybe 33-12.5. I was actually on TTORA when i came across this web site looking for some tips on building an expedition truck for the weekend and well im glad i found this place.

my first expedition (more like a road trip) was with my girlfriend and my sisters boyfriend(big expedition guy), across country to mexico. we planned everything out expenses, routes, time, everything except for a couple unexpected mishaps. we made it as far as Moab as that was a major place we wanted to hit before turning south. then he broke his rear driver side leaf spring and we spent a lot on getting it fixed just so he could limp home. so we never made it to mexico so im diffently planning on going oneday once i find another job and get my truck ready. this was done after i graduated in 06 and now im a full time student and don't have the time nor sufficiant funds.

so guess ill go ahead and ask this, i like Bajatacos set up but was wondering about instead of a hard shell is the can-back just as good. i know it would be colder inside probably at night but for me thats not a problem, but i would like to build a platform that i've been designing for a while and was jut wondering. Just was curious about the strength of the fabric and if anyone liked it or not.

also anyone else from ga around here.
well guess its time to go. trucks at the stealership. later.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
tacoma_AL said:
hello, i didn't really know where to post this but sense i have a tacoma thought i would do it here. I've got a 98 tacoma x-cab, 4x4, v6 5-speed, no major mods except for the grey wire, love having that locker in 2wd. standard 31x10.50x15. want to put a small lift on and some 32-11.5 or maybe 33-12.5. I was actually on TTORA when i came across this web site looking for some tips on building an expedition truck for the weekend and well im glad i found this place.

my first expedition (more like a road trip) was with my girlfriend and my sisters boyfriend(big expedition guy), across country to mexico. we planned everything out expenses, routes, time, everything except for a couple unexpected mishaps. we made it as far as Moab as that was a major place we wanted to hit before turning south. then he broke his rear driver side leaf spring and we spent a lot on getting it fixed just so he could limp home. so we never made it to mexico so im diffently planning on going oneday once i find another job and get my truck ready. this was done after i graduated in 06 and now im a full time student and don't have the time nor sufficiant funds.

so guess ill go ahead and ask this, i like Bajatacos set up but was wondering about instead of a hard shell is the can-back just as good. i know it would be colder inside probably at night but for me thats not a problem, but i would like to build a platform that i've been designing for a while and was jut wondering. Just was curious about the strength of the fabric and if anyone liked it or not.

also anyone else from ga around here.
well guess its time to go. trucks at the stealership. later.

Well a few things and welcome to expo. First the canback toppers do not do a great job of sealing out dust which is a major problem in baja and the desert. #2 they do not offer any real security other then hopefully out of sight. #3 they do not have alot of strength for carring rack and stuff up top. They do however offer great access to the side of the truck and are very light in comparison which is a big advantage for heavy expedition rigs. There are merrits to each however, so pick the one that offers the least amount of trade off for what you plan to do.

What's funny about cross country adventures is that you can plan routes, costs of fuel, food and even plan on having adversity along the way. You can never plan on what the adversity will be, or when it will be, but you can damn well be sure that you will have atleast one on any trip. I'm suprissed i cost alot to get a leaf spring fixed even in moab atleast enought oill the trip. Must have been a doosy that affected other suspension parts.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
guess ill end up with the hard shell. the weight was the main factor for considering the Can-back and to be honest, never thought about the dust. well back to the drawing board.

The leaf spring was a custom made by Alcan(think thats the co.) for 5"s of lift and stiff enough to carry the cargo he had. his truck is heavy as all get out. we were able to get 5" with a new leaf pack from a local toyota place and some blocks and an AAL but it still leand pretty bad and it needed to be fixed so we cut the trip short. total chaos. appreciate the info. later days.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
tacoma_AL said:
guess ill end up with the hard shell. the weight was the main factor for considering the Can-back and to be honest, never thought about the dust. well back to the drawing board.

The leaf spring was a custom made by Alcan(think thats the co.) for 5"s of lift and stiff enough to carry the cargo he had. his truck is heavy as all get out. we were able to get 5" with a new leaf pack from a local toyota place and some blocks and an AAL but it still leand pretty bad and it needed to be fixed so we cut the trip short. total chaos. appreciate the info. later days.

I hear ya wieght is a problem for all of us. Still though witht he right sispension it can be managed. I know there are a few on hear runnign a soft topper but I do not know anyone personally other then Mike and his is really to short for his bed and the wilco tiregate won't allow the rear window to mount up so no matter what he does he's screwed witht he elements getting into the bed area.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
tacoma_AL said:
What about the aluminum toppers? They are much lighter than a fiberglass one and seal better than a soft topper. Strength wise they are probably on the light side, but you can mount a rack and carry a little something on them. My truck had an aluminum topper on it when I bought it, so I put 4 Side Loader feet on it and it held up fine to a basket and a couple of bike mounts. There was a rib on the inside of the skin that ran the length of the topper, right above the window, from the front hoop to the back. I mounted the feet through the middle of those.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
thanks for the info daveindenver but after a lot of thinking and drawing it out. I've decided to go witha custom rack to carry an Eezi-awn tent, some supplys, spare tire, shovel, ax, etc. now i ust have to work out the final design and get to work on it.
later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles