Hello All. My first post. Here is my simple custom GMC Cube Van conversion.

brushogger

Explorer
Good stuff on you man! I like this. My wife and I travel a lot, and intend to become full time travelers in the coming years. We will either be tenting it or getting a small tear drop though. It's all about the happiness and it looks like you have found it. PM if you are ever coming through central Oklahoma. We won't even charge you for the shower!

The Wanderer

Observer
Good stuff on you man! I like this. My wife and I travel a lot, and intend to become full time travelers in the coming years. We will either be tenting it or getting a small tear drop though. It's all about the happiness and it looks like you have found it. PM if you are ever coming through central Oklahoma. We won't even charge you for the shower!

That is very kind of you my friend. I started out travelling like this in a small 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 pick-up with a fiberglass shell on the back for sleeping. I just loved it! The only problem was that if I had a problem and I had to move for some reason in the middle of the night, I would have to put some clothes on to get out of the truck to move, thus exposing me to people, cops or to any perceived danger around me. Besides that it was perfect.

I always wanted to get a teardrop trailer and tow it behind the Tacoma. The reason that I chose against it is that when it's raining or stormy, you can't stand up inside to cook, change clothes or wash. It's perfect for shorter camping trips, but hard for larger expo travels.

For a smaller vehicle, I would choose a mini-van or full size van with a high-top or popup top.

But, the teardrop is still a great camper in my view though.

Thank you for your kind words and I hope we meet on the road some day.

Peace

1leg

Explorer
Hello Jay,
No I don't. I keep the back door pad locked as any box van. I have considered what you say here and I agree with your point.

If I left the heavy commercial roll-up door latch open and added a lock on the inside, anyone walking by might be tempted to try and see what is inside the old truck. It is a real temptation if left open I'm afraid, even if locked on the inside.

Good old common sense has told me that I would smell the smoke before I was not able to get out. BUT, I would like another exit. The fiberglass roof is so thin, that I could easily just use my little campfire hatchet and chop a hole through the thin roof to escape. You would not believe how thin this roof is. 1/8 inch thick maybe. I will have to consider that idea more.

Thank you my friend.

I have a good friend that had his custom(home made) RV catch fire while he was asleep inside. While trying to escape several times thru his side door he got 3rd degree burns on his hands, arms and legs. He was lucky that he finally remembered that he had installed in escape hatch in the roof right above the bed so he was finally able to get to safety thru this hatch. He said from the time he realized the trailer was on fire and he was outside was like 1-2 minutes, and the complete trailer was gone in 5-10 minutes.
I only tell you this to demonstrate that you need to have a second or even third route out of the RV. In the stress of a fire you will not have the time to look for an axe. With a little imagination you should be able to lock the rear door from the inside but have it look like it’s locked on the outside. Maybe you can post up some picture of you locking mechanism and some creative people on this forum can help you with some ideas.

Love your RV, love your life style, please don’t change a thing but please add an escape route.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
People are more frequently overcome by the toxic fumes emitted from even small fires, (especially in confined, poorly ventilated spaces) and thus unable to think/act in a manner likely to have a positive outcome!

The potential inconvenience of cost, minor disruption (to your plans) etc, are a small price to pay for installing adequate fire warning and fire fighting equipment and emergency exits, and by doing so may ensure that you'll have many more happy years of traveling and wonderful memories.

You may even sleep better in the knowledge that you're safer... Think of it as an investment in yourself!

kesepton

That thing is awesome! Ive been thinking of something like this and glad to see it not only well executed but used daily for three+ years none the less! I wonder if one of those "fridge" vans would solve the insulation problem. Youll even have AC (freezer?)! Ive looked at a few but havent pulled the trigger. Still stuck in the real world and convincing my girlfriend this is what will make us happier. My biggest concern was if RV parks would let you in with it. Havet you stayed in any, or mostly campgrounds? Only thing I would probably add to your set up is some hooks or way to mount an awning during extended stays.

And youre right, after backpacking for many years, I learned you enjoy it most with the least amount of gear. My 3night pack, not including water, was down to 13 pounds.

Maria

wanderer, I feel like every time I see a plain yellow box truck I'll want to knock and say hello. I admire your style.

Dang1

great vehicle

I love it! the simpler and stealthier the better. I'd prefer it painted white- like many commercial delivery trucks, rather than yellow, which screams Ryder or such, but without the logo, it'll arouse suspicion.

grummy

I love it! the simpler and stealthier the better. I'd prefer it painted white- like many commercial delivery trucks, rather than yellow, which screams Ryder or such, but without the logo, it'll arouse suspicion.

Love what the OP has done here....I have something similar, and I too was at one time dreaming in the world of "stealth". Having a white "commercial vehicle" standing just about anywhere can go quite un-noticed, but there are plenty of challenges in this post DHS world and everyone on edge. First, you would have to keep it registered as a commercial vehicle and carry commercial insurance. Usually this means as much as 4 or 5 times the cost of a traditional camper or motor homes yearly costs. In may states, it also means DOT registration and inspections, all for a personal vehicle that has no commercial ties. And as I can attest, when you have an insurance issue with your personal use/commercially insured vehicle, there comes all sorts of questions as to what business the vehicle is used for, which is none ! Really gets the agents confused !

On the other side, if you have a personal vehicle engaged in what appears to be a commercial venture, then the DOT is bound to pull you over (like if you put a business name on a personal registered vehicle to help disguise as a work truck). You just can not win anymore !

Again, I too started thinking stealth and that went south when I knew I would have to license as motor home in order to afford to have my rig in the first place. "Stealth" took the biggest hit the minute I mounted aluminum wheels. After that, the solar panels on the roof and a TV antenna (even though I did all I could to make it low profile) took away from that "commercial stealth" look as well. Oh well !

I'm a huge fan of retrofitting "square boxes".... lots easier than the other options like busses..... True "Stealth" is likely only achieved by using nothing larger than a very plain conventional cargo van with literally nothing screwed onto it. I tend to like a few more options than that.

You can catch a bit of my project here: http://www.data-cut.com/grumliner.htm

>and my most recent page with solar additions here: http://www.data-cut.com/grumliner4.htm

CLynn85

Explorer
Love what the OP has done here....I have something similar, and I too was at one time dreaming in the world of "stealth". Having a white "commercial vehicle" standing just about anywhere can go quite un-noticed, but there are plenty of challenges in this post DHS world and everyone on edge. First, you would have to keep it registered as a commercial vehicle and carry commercial insurance. Usually this means as much as 4 or 5 times the cost of a traditional camper or motor homes yearly costs. In may states, it also means DOT registration and inspections, all for a personal vehicle that has no commercial ties. And as I can attest, when you have an insurance issue with your personal use/commercially insured vehicle, there comes all sorts of questions as to what business the vehicle is used for, which is none ! Really gets the agents confused !

On the other side, if you have a personal vehicle engaged in what appears to be a commercial venture, then the DOT is bound to pull you over (like if you put a business name on a personal registered vehicle to help disguise as a work truck). You just can not win anymore !

Again, I too started thinking stealth and that went south when I knew I would have to license as motor home in order to afford to have my rig in the first place. "Stealth" took the biggest hit the minute I mounted aluminum wheels. After that, the solar panels on the roof and a TV antenna (even though I did all I could to make it low profile) took away from that "commercial stealth" look as well. Oh well !

I'm a huge fan of retrofitting "square boxes".... lots easier than the other options like busses..... True "Stealth" is likely only achieved by using nothing larger than a very plain conventional cargo van with literally nothing screwed onto it. I tend to like a few more options than that.

You can catch a bit of my project here: http://www.data-cut.com/grumliner.htm

>and my most recent page with solar additions here: http://www.data-cut.com/grumliner4.htm

Welcome and cool project! Would really enjoy a proper build thread. I think you may be thinking too much into it. Verizon trucks around here, for instance, have all sorts of crap on the roof and hanging off of them, the average Joe just sees white box van and thinks "work truck" pretty much regardless of what's on it or what the license plate looks like. Also sounds like DOT regs must be much worse up there, here in VA you don't tend to get hassled too much unless you're an actual medium to heavy duty truck.

IMG_0059-480x360.jpg

TakDwn

This is a great, inspiring build....or better yet - Way of Life. I truely enjoyed the pictures and ease of words expressing your way of living!

Many have stated they would enjoy living the same lifestyle. Unfortunately, few take that path in life. Please continue to post and share your stories and pictures.

I've shared this story with my young son and the misses, but only the boys think it would be 'cool'.:)

frgtwn

Adventurer
One of the problems around here is that some of us want to "fix" problems that you do not have. Having said that, I do have some thoughts on a rear latch for emergency exit.

I own a similar Isuzu box truck with a roll-up door in the rear which has the seemingly standard latch mechanism. I had a side door installed for easy access, but the use of my truck is for work only. I have spent a few nights in it however, and did feel somewhat uncomfortable with only one exit. (No cab pass through.)

Here's what I've thought up, though not built. The latch swings through a cut-out in the bumper/back deck, in one hole and out the other. All that holds it is that little piece of metal in the middle. How about replacing that metal with a simple dead-bolt that slides in and out from the inside? Pull the new deadbolt IN, and whatyaknow, the door will roll-up, locked and all.

And, it is still pretty close to your KISS goal.

Love your choices. They are yours, and that is the best part.

Dale

Ohaul

I have a roll-up door on my truck. I don't have room for a second door, so I was thinking about something like this:
TODCO-REAR-DOOR-SAFETY-RELEASE

if you pull the release from the inside the handle and latch comes apart allowing you to open the door.
No affiliation etc...

I do like the idea of making the floor plate the release, I'm going to have to look at my truck again tonight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles