Hella light ID

James86004

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

We picked these lights up at the local junkyard. I think they are Hella 4000s, but there are no identifying numbers on the outside. If they are 4000s, there are 4 different versions of those, so how do I tell which.

We'd like to put them on our 95 Disco. We drive a lot at night in elk country, so anything to help us see at night is good.IMG_20191203_172038759.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
What does the beam pattern look like? The video shows cornering beam and Eurobeam,if it is not one of those,it could be the fog beam.Are there any part numbers inside the light?
Pencil and Eurobeam.

Last edited:
We had two "cornering" and one "pencil on the SG bumper for the Disco...I think I remember that the "cornering" version had a small "city lamp" bulb at the bottom of the reflector and the "pencil" did not.

Alternately, as per above ;) you can just turn the darned things on :)

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have a driving and a cornering I think. You can tell them apart by comparing the fresnels. The more fresnels the more spread the light is. Yours are not pencil/spot beam. That's all I can say for sure.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Thanks all. They have 3 wires, implying 2 bulbs, so I took one apart. Looks like it has the "city" lights. I am not sure about the utility of those. I will hook one up tomorrow night and check out the beam pattern.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I hooked one of the lights up Saturday night and shone it into the golf course across the street. The trees 180 feet away were brightly illuminated. The ones 800 feet away were visible but much less so. The bright spot was 30 or 40 feet wide at 180 feet. So I am guessing it is the "spread beam" version.

Now to figure out how to repurpose the fog light switch on the D1 to a driving light switch. I am thinking all I have to do is disconnect the blue/red wire (low beam) and replace it with a blue/white wire (high beam).

OregonGX

I hooked one of the lights up Saturday night and shone it into the golf course across the street. The trees 180 feet away were brightly illuminated. The ones 800 feet away were visible but much less so. The bright spot was 30 or 40 feet wide at 180 feet. So I am guessing it is the "spread beam" version.

Now to figure out how to repurpose the fog light switch on the D1 to a driving light switch. I am thinking all I have to do is disconnect the blue/red wire (low beam) and replace it with a blue/white wire (high beam).

I would just use the fog light wiring to activate a relay for the driving lights. This harness would let you do that without too much fuss. https://www.rallylights.com/hella-one-or-two-light-wiring-harness.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne