Helinox high cot

AML

Adventurer
Has anyone gotten or tried out the new Helinox high cot? Way expensive, but might be worth it for a great night's sleep.

image.jpg

Maxcustody

Explorer
I don't have one, but I have 2 chairs and their table and I am impressed. The quality and small size to fit in the jeep are awesome. Interested to see if anyone has one too.........

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I feel that with my purchase of the Cot One I already exceeded what I think is a reasonable price to pay for camping comfort. I'm starting to have a negative feeling about the company due to the exorbitant prices.

Also, when I look at their products closely I see some design problems. For example, the Cot One is excessively low (6") and the reason is unclear. It's marketed as a backpacking cot, but I don't think they're going to find a strong market for it among backpackers because it's beyond the weight and bulk that 98% of backpackers would find acceptable. Backpackers skim ounces off the Big Three and the Cot One is the same size and weight as a two-person tent. So if it's not for backpackers, they should have made it higher in the first place. I bet if they had made it 12" high they could have kept the same leg structure.

Looking at the High Cot, I see a jumble of leg pieces, whereas the Cot One has a very simple leg structure. I'd like to try it but there's no way I'm paying $400 for a cot. Helinox sales are extremely rare and at most 20% off, which would be $320. Still no way.

Looking at their chairs, I'm not convinced that they've made a chair that's easy for older people to get out of. I'm unwilling to pay that much for a chair I can't get out of.

I love the comfort and simplicity of the Helinox Cot One. But I think it's time to send a strong message to Helinox that their prices are just plain shameful because they're getting worse. I speak as someone who spends a heck of a lot of money for recreational gear. But I'm also a frugal person and I shop very carefully.There just has to be a price limit at some point.

I've spent the last two months sleeping on a Camptime Roll a Cot (wide) due to house renovations. It has been very comfortable. You can get one for about $130, which is 1/3 the price of the Helinox High Cot. It's hard to assemble. So manufacturers need to keep working on a cot that is comfortable, durable, light, easy to assemble, and reasonably priced. That's got to be possible.

Honu

lost on the mainland
reason for low cots is something I found out very quick and its about floor space when you can get your cot closer to the walls taller cots waste space if you dont have kids sleeping in your tents etc... not a big deal if its just two of ya having choices is great :)

but the short cots are easy(for some) to get out of you kinda roll onto the ground and get up but you cant sit on them to change etc... so for sure its a double edge sword more floor space or maybe easier to camp out of :)

I am 52 bad knee maybe in 10 years or more I wont think as much about the chairs especially the new one are easier to get out but you have a choice armrests and taller but figure pack size will be 4x as big and 4x as heavy

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
reason for low cots is something I found out very quick and its about floor space when you can get your cot closer to the walls taller cots waste space if you dont have kids sleeping in your tents etc... not a big deal if its just two of ya having choices is great :)

but the short cots are easy(for some) to get out of you kinda roll onto the ground and get up but you cant sit on them to change etc... so for sure its a double edge sword more floor space or maybe easier to camp out of :)

Many of today's tents have square rather than slanted sides and can accommodate tall cots.

You're right, to get off a low cot you roll onto the floor (easy) and then stand up (difficult for some). But with a tall cot you simply stand up (very easy). I use the Cot One with 2P and 3P tents. I like it for those uses and I love the easy assembly. It does save space in the tent because you can actually put quite a bit of stuff under a 6" cot.

Honu

lost on the mainland
http://50campfires.com/travel-chair-wallaby-chair-overview/

HERE YA GO maybe this would work they put armrests on a model and its the taller bigger model ? might be worth looking into if you want that small packing size light weight chair :)

I feel that with my purchase of the Cot One I already exceeded what I think is a reasonable price to pay for camping comfort. I'm starting to have a negative feeling about the company due to the exorbitant prices.

Also, when I look at their products closely I see some design problems. For example, the Cot One is excessively low (6") and the reason is unclear. It's marketed as a backpacking cot, but I don't think they're going to find a strong market for it among backpackers because it's beyond the weight and bulk that 98% of backpackers would find acceptable. Backpackers skim ounces off the Big Three and the Cot One is the same size and weight as a two-person tent. So if it's not for backpackers, they should have made it higher in the first place. I bet if they had made it 12" high they could have kept the same leg structure.

Looking at the High Cot, I see a jumble of leg pieces, whereas the Cot One has a very simple leg structure. I'd like to try it but there's no way I'm paying $400 for a cot. Helinox sales are extremely rare and at most 20% off, which would be $320. Still no way.

Looking at their chairs, I'm not convinced that they've made a chair that's easy for older people to get out of. I'm unwilling to pay that much for a chair I can't get out of.

I love the comfort and simplicity of the Helinox Cot One. But I think it's time to send a strong message to Helinox that their prices are just plain shameful because they're getting worse. I speak as someone who spends a heck of a lot of money for recreational gear. But I'm also a frugal person and I shop very carefully.There just has to be a price limit at some point.

I've spent the last two months sleeping on a Camptime Roll a Cot (wide) due to house renovations. It has been very comfortable. You can get one for about $130, which is 1/3 the price of the Helinox High Cot. It's hard to assemble. So manufacturers need to keep working on a cot that is comfortable, durable, light, easy to assemble, and reasonably priced. That's got to be possible.

AML

Adventurer
Ok I bit the bullet and ordered one. As someone else pointed out campsaver is having a sale on Helinox gear. The cot was $100 off. Making it still a crazy $300. I found out that campsaver is also selling it on Amazon. Amazon has a promotion if you sign up for their card you can get $70 off. So I did. So the cot is nearly 1/2 off now. It should be here in a couple days.

I have a sleeping pad that is a little wider than the cot is. Hopefully it won't make a difference. I will report back. Supposed to start camping this year in just a couple weeks. Got my fingers crossed.

I tried the cot out at a paddle show. Felt good, but of course I dod not spend a night in it. Some extra padding on top might be appreciated - thermarest, etc.
I think these cots might make a great alternative to building sleep platform in a truck cap. Yeah, the platform will fun ton better as a seat and has storage under it, but fot being able to switch back to a truck, these (or other) cots might be a nice way to go.

AML

Adventurer
Ok, cot showed up. Initial impressions are this thing is light!

I have it pared with an Exped Mega Mat 10. This thing is comfortable! The cot by itself is a little noisy. The fabric is very tight and my kids enjoyed beating on it like a drum.

The mat I chose is larger than the cot so there is a few inches of overhang. I used a couple of Rok straps to keep them together and it stays put pretty well.

I have a few other narrower Thermarest mats I may try later, but for now I am quite pleased with the set up.

A couple things to point out... There are a couple extra loops and Velcro on the fabric of the cot. Nothing in the paperwork that comes with cot about its purpose. Looking online, other people are speculating it is for a future sleeping pad that Helinox is working on.

Also on the legs, it looks like you can fold the 12 feet down and have it rest on the 3 supports as the Cot One does. This might make it more versatile for different tents. You would probably need to Velcro the feet up, with a wrap, as to not ruin them. But the supports still have the nubs to rest on.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I paid just a little more than half the retail price. Still pretty steep compared to the prices of other cots. Biggest difference is weight and packed down size. I am going to sell off my REI comfort cot and offset the price a little more. If any one is in the market for one of those, let me know :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
a lot to be said for less weight and bulk :)

and a lot to be paid :)

now have two of the new sunset chairs :) wife wanted one :) hahahahahaha

Kcdude

Adventurer
Would you mind posting up some dimensions for me. I need the measurements down the side where the legs attach to the frame...so how far from the head is each leg. Also how wide is the leg footprint (one leg foot to the other)? How tall are the legs?

I am looking for a cot that will straddle my folded seats in a SUV for a quick deploy sleeping setup. Also figure I can trim the legs to get it level if needed.

Thanks in advance.

a lot to be said for less weight and bulk :)

and a lot to be paid :)

now have two of the new sunset chairs :) wife wanted one :) hahahahahaha

We have been using 2 sunset chairs this year and I recently sewed some hook side of velcro to the bag so we can stuff a tshirt or towel inside the bag and use it as a pillow since the chairs already have the loop material.

AML

Adventurer
Would you mind posting up some dimensions for me. I need the measurements down the side where the legs attach to the frame...so how far from the head is each leg. Also how wide is the leg footprint (one leg foot to the other)? How tall are the legs?

I am looking for a cot that will straddle my folded seats in a SUV for a quick deploy sleeping setup. Also figure I can trim the legs to get it level if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Sure. It might take me a little bit. I will try and do it this week. I actually just broke the cot down and put it away a couple hours ago. I wish I has seen your post first.

aaen

Adventurer
With the cot one, I spent about 6 months sleeping in it in my fully furnished apt. Some might ask why, well the bed in the apt was rather bad as was the couch to sleep on. I bought the cot for camping but I has saved my butt from sleeping on couches/floors in numerous spots over the last year or so.

Anyway as it was super comfy, although it took up nearly all my floor space in my two man exped Gemini tent, I would literally pass out in mind on it.

I cannot recommend the cot highly enough.

Regards

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior