HeliNomad RAM PowerWagon Build

HeliNomad

Adventurer
The rack is coming together. The team at Nuthouse Industries are amazing. Nothing they can’t do.
a51be61c24764d697ad07f3fabf4b9b8.jpg
ab12a18c8ce4dc2c0695a19fc2dc2ed1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jadmt

ignore button user
My last task for this round was to install an ARB fridge receptacle behind the rear seats. This was simple enough but I thought I would ask the experts regarding the appropriate way to enter the rear of the cab from the bottom of the truck. I didn’t want to drill the underbody if it could be avoided. I did these plugs but wasn’t sure if I was missing something obvious. Anyone want to offer advise here?

Here is the plug I am installing along with the underbody plugs I found.

8febc75ac6f706e3c0579602454d5817.jpg

11704b79c0a92d403a2b4314133d6656.jpg

)

[/QUOTE]

@HeliNomad how did you end up routing your ARB harness? Getting ready to run my harness and trying to decide if I should come thru the firewall or the floor pan. where did you mount the receptical? thanks

Last edited:

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Finally got the FTM mounted.
af498ec2ba13a605aa159691a683cc8d.jpg
79917b6b7d1963a2fc14582d4868b7bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great build! We had a pretty similar journey. Went from Jeep to Discovery, to Land Cruiser, to G550 to now a 2500. I also got the same Ham as you. Do you mind showing me where you mounted the base unit? Thanks!

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Great build! We had a pretty similar journey. Went from Jeep to Discovery, to Land Cruiser, to G550 to now a 2500. I also got the same Ham as you. Do you mind showing me where you mounted the base unit? Thanks!

I mounted the base unit under the driver seat using strong magnets I bought from Amazon. I like this format better than a hard mount which makes swapping the SD card easier when loading new frequencies. The magnets work even through the thick floor carpet. It's a great radio.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Today I finally get to post an update regarding the rack. A few months ago, I placed an order for my dream rack set up with Nuthouse Industries. They are amazing to work with. Although they have "base models" they are VERY willing to customize the rack anyway you want.
IMG_0188.jpeg

For my set up I wanted to be able to use their "tire shelf" as part of the rack system to not only hold rotopacks but also utilize the under space for storing Maxtrax, a PowerTank, and a utility shovel. I think this, with the combination of RamBox, really makes an ideal setup.

IMG_2212.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

The tire shelf it self is easily removable with these 4 super strong cam pins. Amazingly...there is not a single rattle from the entire rack system. The rack is completely aluminum and is very light considering.

As for the lighting, we installed some VisionX Floods in each corner that are very bright but can also be dimmable using the SPod Bantam to a very low power setting which is nice for when setting up camp you are not blinding yourself or your friends. I have the sides and rears isolated as pairs.

IMG_0189.jpeg

As for the overall height...this was very customizable with Nuthouse. I essentially told them that I wanted the rack to be as low as possible to fit the rotopax tanks on the side but still tall enough that when I have my AREA BFE hard shell aluminum RTT the load bars would sit above the cab and account for any bed flex. This allows me to take my kayaks or anything longer that can comfortably sit over the cab of the truck. I'll post photos once I get the RTT loaded.

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_0183.jpeg

Overall the fit and finish is excellent. Install took me start to finish about 3.5 hours (including wiring) with only my wife helping me move it from the crate to the truck. I'm planning some additional accessories and a big winter mountain camping trip. I'll report back with more photos and findings.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Finally got the Area BFE tent on. Wow...the quality is pretty amazing. Coming from soft cover tents, this is totally the way to go. The weight even on top of the rack really doesn't change anything about the behavior of the truck. No additional wind noise...really it's not noticeable. The load bars ended up perfectly above the cab where I wanted them. Aside from taking 3 people to get the tent on and off the truck (need to come up with a better solution so I can do it my self), this is a great.

The tent it self is really nice...great quality, solid build and very easy to open and close. It's the perfect size (medium) for 2 adults and a 6 year old but not much more than that. The mattress is firm but not terrible.

I'll get more photos during the day and of course on a real trip soon.

IMG_0230.jpegIMG_0227.jpegIMG_0224.jpegIMG_0223.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    941.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

BuckinghamBuilt

Finally got the Area BFE tent on. Wow...the quality is pretty amazing. Coming from soft cover tents, this is totally the way to go. The weight even on top of the rack really doesn't change anything about the behavior of the truck. No additional wind noise...really it's not noticeable. The load bars ended up perfectly above the cab where I wanted them. Aside from taking 3 people to get the tent on and off the truck (need to come up with a better solution so I can do it my self), this is a great.

The tent it self is really nice...great quality, solid build and very easy to open and close. It's the perfect size (medium) for 2 adults and a 6 year old but not much more than that. The mattress is firm but not terrible.

I'll get more photos during the day and of course on a real trip soon.

View attachment 627319View attachment 627320View attachment 627323View attachment 627322View attachment 627324
First time me seeing someone run that tent and I'm very interested as it appears to allow for mounting of lights. I'm adding this to my short list along with the CVT Black Series Alpha. I run a Leitner Designs rack on my Power Wagon and with the bars it sits right about the roof line.

Maybe I missed it on the website but I don't see what the height of the tent is when its closed (still hoping to fit my Power Wagon under my garage door when paired with 35" or 37" tires).

HeliNomad

Adventurer
First time me seeing someone run that tent and I'm very interested as it appears to allow for mounting of lights. I'm adding this to my short list along with the CVT Black Series Alpha. I run a Leitner Designs rack on my Power Wagon and with the bars it sits right about the roof line.

Maybe I missed it on the website but I don't see what the height of the tent is when its closed (still hoping to fit my Power Wagon under my garage door when paired with 35" or 37" tires).

It’s about 6” thick. A couple more with the load bars. Mounting anything is super easy as it has beefy rails top on the top and bottom half of the rack all the way around. They even make an awning that attaches directly to the rack.

jadmt

ignore button user
I hate it when the internet is right. A little rubber mallet banging and sure enough it fit even higher, cleared the frame rail and got further from the panhard bar.
e956b3690e917fc33c552a3f63daa52e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

so several months have passed any issues? I decided to replace my spare with a full size Toyo R/T 35 on stock wheel and like you it seems impossible. Have you tried removing at all since finally getting up there? Is it rubbing on your trackbar/panhard?

HeliNomad

Adventurer
so several months have passed any issues? I decided to replace my spare with a full size Toyo R/T 35 on stock wheel and like you it seems impossible. Have you tried removing at all since finally getting up there? Is it rubbing on your trackbar/panhard?

Nope zero issues and it’s pretty far from the pan hard bar and hasn’t moved. I did have to remove it to run a wire...actully came out pretty easily with a little rubber mallet tapping (okay banging). I drops with it's own gravity. Comes down way easier than going up. Make sure you remove the air and have on board air.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles