HeliNomad RAM PowerWagon Build

Alright so I got some time work on the truck this weekend.

I installed the 94R Northstar AGM Battery. This thing is amazing. Perfect fit...like in every way perfect fit. Someone mentioned that you can go up a size in the battery tray, that is not the case for the 2020 Ram. The 94R takes up the entire tray and there are no extra knockouts to remove. Anyway, this is the best AGM available for this truck. BTW, I measured voltage right after install and it was 14.2 volts. Plenty for this battery to charge fully. I do have the dual alternators.

724d2e4dee8d39d006e41a7f5cff0b65.jpg

I also installed the SPod BantamX. I ordered the BantamX Touchscreen Universal with 36” Battery Cables (https://www.4x4spod.com/bantamx_w_touchscreen_universal). I was feeling bummed that my loaded truck didn’t have the factory upfitter switches, but with all the extra features (bluetooth, extra slave units, etc) I’m not missing it so much anymore. This thing is sweet.

Install is super easy on this truck since it has that massive aux cable firewall pass through. I mounted the unit to the top of the fuse box using the provided template. I put the cables to the rear of the box to make opening the box trivial.

0034d07bf58c7090f9129631bec5914d.jpg

cdc9ef9c148c4892dc4fca439819dcbd.jpg

As for the head unit...I really didn’t want this thing up at the eye line. I have plans for other accessories such as a HAM Radio and iPad mount but didn’t want it in my face all of the time since it’s just a “switch”. So I went with a down low install...utilizing a piece of trim with a fabricated backing plate. It’s very strong, out of the way, but still glanceable.

bd5aa7d282cb899de098b8795056310f.jpg

My last task for this round was to install an ARB fridge receptacle behind the rear seats. This was simple enough but I thought I would ask the experts regarding the appropriate way to enter the rear of the cab from the bottom of the truck. I didn’t want to drill the underbody if it could be avoided. I did these plugs but wasn’t sure if I was missing something obvious. Anyone want to offer advise here?

Here is the plug I am installing along with the underbody plugs I found.

8febc75ac6f706e3c0579602454d5817.jpg

11704b79c0a92d403a2b4314133d6656.jpg

Lastly...was going to be the front light bar. I liked the look of this build and thought, based on the description, that I was ordering the right light. (https://www.happytrails4x4.com/single-post/2018/05/09/2018-RAM-2500-Power-Wagon-Build)

e6ff243fbef141be7477abf0c327a2e4.jpg

6a5ee9bd96acc53f0735d054dfb9cff5.jpg

I ordered a Rigid SR-Series Pro 30”, Spot Flood Combo (https://www.rigidindustries.com/sr-series-pro-sr-series.html) but it is way too deep to fit on the stock bumper like the referenced PW does above. Any ideas?

f8b8096efda7137e7854331b8eb0b0ac.jpg

That’s all for now. I appreciate your assistance. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hey man, following along on the build while I’m deployed overseas. I have a 2019 PW and plan on doing a few of the upgrades you’re currently tackling. Thanks for the photos and battery info. I have a built Tacoma that the PW is replacing, and some of the goodies are swapping over to the PW.

One of those is a 20” single row Heretic lightbar that I plan to run in the grill, similar to how @St8ton has his mounted. Here’s a photo from his Instagram page for reference. I see he’s a registered member here so maybe he’ll chime in.

88CCFCF4-5826-4CB6-A468-3FACFE71674D.jpeg

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Hey man, following along on the build while I’m deployed overseas. I have a 2019 PW and plan on doing a few of the upgrades you’re currently tackling. Thanks for the photos and battery info. I have a built Tacoma that the PW is replacing, and some of the goodies are swapping over to the PW.

One of those is a 20” single row Heretic lightbar that I plan to run in the grill, similar to how @St8ton has his mounted. Here’s a photo from his Instagram page for reference. I see he’s a registered member here so maybe he’ll chime in.

View attachment 607141

Hmm you are right...this is pretty cool. I’d love to see details on that custom mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hmm you are right...this is pretty cool. I’d love to see details on that custom mount.

Im probably going to follow suit with the Baja Designs squadrons he has for cornering lights as well. He reported the cornering light functionality works with them which is pretty cool and a must for me if I’m going to do it!

BuckinghamBuilt

View attachment 607141

You can find more information on his build thread (page #5) https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/the-unnamed-2019-ram-power-wagon-build.213183/page-5

HeliNomad

Adventurer
A little update. So the plan is starting to come together a little in the communication and lighting area.

(LINKED TEXT BELOW FOR THE PRODUCTS I USED)

COMMS:

After being a Kenwood guy forever, I decided it was time to try Yaesu. I went with the FTM-400XDR. It has excellent reviews and covers APRS (which I use a lot) extremely well with it's own built in GPS receiver. I mounted the radio unit under the driver seat and mounted the remote unit in the center top dash tray. Fishing that wire was interesting. I ended up having to use my favorite wire fishing tool, a borescope. I found that you need to come up the passenger side to avoid moving parts with the air conditioner. Again...nice to be able to see what you're doing before running cables.

In order to mount the head unit I went with ProClips Extra Strength dash mount. This plat mounts to existing screws and provides and AMPS connection that I used to attach a 1" ball. I then used HuddExpo's ball adapter for the FTM head unit to connect with a standard RAM arm. It took three vendors but it's a good solution. I forgot to snap a photo of this but I will and post.

As for the antenna I've heard great things about the COMPACTenna. It's a 7.5" dual/tri band antenna that is very powerful when mounted with the correct ground plane. It needs a steeply falling away surface...so the edge of a hood or roof is best. Very nice unit.

Initially I had my eye on the BulletProofDiesel center rear back up light NMO adapter. However it would make getting into most garages impossible. I also thought about asking Nuthouse to add a plate to my rack system for this but that isn't happening until November. I settled on a hood mount which I was initially down on until I saw the plate from this company. It's actually a really nice piece of hardware that has excellent fit. I used a little white electrical tape on the underside to protect the paint but it's very solid. The reception and SWR measurements were awesome in this position so I'm happy with it for now. Here is the NMO cable I used.

IMG_2549.jpeg

Since now I have a substantial amount of cables traversing from the cab to the engine compartment I wanted to keep it clean. Someone on ram forums posted this cool firewall grommet. Using the clutch delete plate I created a pretty clean way to move dressed cables to my SPod and antenna.

BEAE26FA-0302-4ED1-9266-B451FAE2E9B4.jpeg

Now let's talk lights. First off...I have to thank @St8ton for the concept here. He really had the right idea. Thank you to everyone who offered other solutions in terms of lights bars but I just wanted to keep that stock front bumper look which is already very functional. So I took @St8ton concept and ran with it with only a few deviations.

First off instead of using BajaDesigns A pillar mount, I chose to go with SDHQs. Their system mounts to the hood bracket and brings the lights in a little farther which allows one cool option, compatibility with the AEV snorkel. Now for now, I'm thinking the snorkel is not required for this truck but it's nice to know I'll retain the option in the future.

As for the lights themselves, I copied @St8ton exactly with Squadron Pro's in white. The XL Pro's are massive and I think a little too much of a statement on the hood personally. The Squadrons are insanely bright anyway and will fill in nicely with the powerful S8 on the grill.

IMG_2563.jpeg

I want to add that BD's split wring loom is perfect for the RAM. Initially I thought it wasn't long enough but it's actually perfect. The wiring ended up really clean for this.

IMG_2565.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg

IMG_2558.jpeg

IMG_2559.jpeg

Alright now for the S8. I too went for the Amber S8 just like @St8ton did. His grill mount L bracket is cool and I copied his idea but wanted to add some additional support. Here's the bracket I fabricated out of stainless. I added some rubber behind the brackets to help keep it from damaging the grill and moving around. The black paint is drying overnight so I'll get install pics tomorrow. Here are some pics from todays work.

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2553.jpeg

That's all I have for today. More tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone! I can't wait to take this thing out on it's first trip soon.

Last edited:

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Finally got the bracket done for the S8. It came out perfect and is really strong. The wider tabs really help spread the load of the light. I added some compliant foam rubber to the backside to help “grip” the grill pattern and protect it. I love the look and it’s extremely functional.

03c94ca7d274c9273e4e273c8f533c92.jpg

As for the wiring...it’s tempting to run the wires through the lovers but don’t. Some don’t realize that those louvers are part of the AGS (Active Grille Shutters) which these trucks have. Essentially they close at high speed to improve aerodynamics. I apologize if you already know this...I didn’t. Anyway there is an excellent cable pass through provided at the bottom of the plastic tray just above the winch cable release.

2c895f87e418910e6f90d1d336ce00bf.jpg

From here, the provided wire length from Baja Design is just enough to make it to your SPod assuming you are mounted to the top of the fuse block.

d10633f5f5c617cd79ab2e818acb31db.jpg

This light set up is awesome. I can’t wait to get them on the trail with some wide open spaces.

88b192d49be35cfb83999340f7beab69.jpg

ff5af62dc090fac89e998dc55480470a.jpg

41860e47025b070f0cce4504b0928740.jpg

As for the Yaseu radio mount...I still didn’t get the ball adapter but here is the bracket from ProClips that provides the AMPS mount. I’ll report back when that part is done.

7bc5a87b2bf64c9a58b5d0a3e3986028.jpg

Antwon412

Anyone have a link to the inlay 1500/2500 numbers for the hood?
I have a 2020 1500. Love to add a little color.

nater

Adventurer
I just picked up the SDHQ mounts myself for my 2019 PW- but decided to go with the XL80's... I am also mounting S1's off the side of the XL80 for more side light... lets see how that looks/works! Love the truck man!

Explorerinil

Observer
With the sliders check your brackets and washers so you avoid the squeak and vibration, I also suggest a delthoff trans skid, they are easy to install and fit and finish is the best. Marcus is a great guy to deal with also, wish he made rock sliders.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
With the sliders check your brackets and washers so you avoid the squeak and vibration, I also suggest a delthoff trans skid, they are easy to install and fit and finish is the best. Marcus is a great guy to deal with also, wish he made rock sliders.

Yes I’ve heard about this. Thank you. Also to trim any washers that rub the cab body right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior