Heed his warning about the Ingenium engines!

Agreed to some degree; but I'll ask why are you doing oil reports and who's paying for them if there is nothing to worry about? I asked my buddy who has a brand new Cummins; actually has two in the household and he doesn't do any oil reports and he has 100k warranties on both engines and expects to get 300-400k out of these engines like his last ones. Dealer might be pulling oil reports but he's not responsible for any of that with zero concerns over warranty.

I did two reports on my 7.3 diesel that had 100k+ on the engine. The first before I put the FAAST filter kit on and then the one 5k after the filter kit; the one report was enough for me to know my engine was clean as a whistle with no dilution issues. Those tests came out of pocket.

On that note, I'm not buying an engine I have to worry about by independent testing; not saying I'm totally writing off JLR on the current engines, but, if this is a true issue there is no chance I would go into this on a new vehicle "hoping" I'll get to warranty mileage and praying it does grenade the day after the warranty runs out......lol

Great discussion and thanks @DieselRanger for all the insight.

Agreed to some degree; but I'll ask why are you doing oil reports and who's paying for them if there is nothing to worry about? I asked my buddy who has a brand new Cummins; actually has two in the household and he doesn't do any oil reports and he has 100k warranties on both engines and expects to get 300-400k out of these engines like his last ones. Dealer might be pulling oil reports but he's not responsible for any of that with zero concerns over warranty.

I did two reports on my 7.3 diesel that had 100k+ on the engine. The first before I put the FAAST filter kit on and then the one 5k after the filter kit; the one report was enough for me to know my engine was clean as a whistle with no dilution issues. Those tests came out of pocket.

On that note, I'm not buying an engine I have to worry about by independent testing; not saying I'm totally writing off JLR on the current engines, but, if this is a true issue there is no chance I would go into this on a new vehicle "hoping" I'll get to warranty mileage and praying it does grenade the day after the warranty runs out......lol

DieselRanger

I began testing my oil when my indicated oil life began dropping 3:1 miles driven. Only the very first test showed high metals and dilution in the 3% range and some research showed *some* other people noticing the same thing. Since then metals have gone down to almost nothing and dilution has been below measurement thresholds.

I continue to test it every few months because I want to see how the engine ages and whether a long-term 10,000 mile interval plan like I had with my "cheater" Touareg is achievable, so I can just "set it and forget it." I tested the Virgin oil sample with Blackstone on their recommendation.

Oil tests with Blackstone are only $28 and the test kit is free, and I'm an engineer so it's fun and cheap.

Oil tests with Blackstone are only $28 and the test kit is free, and I'm an engineer so it's fun and cheap.

Good answer; I was hoping that was going to be the case. I am an engineer also and we do oil samples on our aviation engines and gearboxes all the time so it is worth the cost and assists in overall health management. I will admit, it's never really been an issue in my automotive experience but with a brand new engine I can see where that cost is insignificant for peace of mind.

Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles