Heavy sliders not smart for long-term overlanding?

Carolina4x4

Starting to build out a 5th gen 4runner Limited (with large stock step rail) for weekend trips backcountry, including some rough stuff like the Georgia Traverse. But also hope to use the vehicle for a 1 year trip across South America. Aftermarket rocksliders worth their salt are heavy - 45lbs and up for EACH slider. Is it dumb to install them when weight matters while overlanding? Will eventually have two adults and two kids and a lot of gear in the vehicle, and maybe a trailer for the SA trip. The stock rails on the Limited are crap -- massive and won't protect the rockers much. Tough time prioritizing this. Any insights?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I would definitely remove body-mounted steps either way. Personally, if you keep them simple I think the weight of sliders is worthwhile. Beyond the obvious utility and protection (and this is beyond cosmetic, smashing a rocker panel rendering doors inoperative would suck). They give you a jack point, a hasty place to tie stuff down or to use to stabilize a vehicle while winching.

v_man

Explorer
There's plenty of anecdotal evidence of the value of sliders beyond just off road protection. You hear about the door ding protection you get in the grocery store parking lot. And I personally like having a beefy steel piece of armor that will help protect me in a T bone type of traffic accident.

Aside from that it does come down to your own driving style. On my big rock crawler I scrape my sliders on nearly every off road outing...

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Good sliders can save your hide. I suggest AllPros with the rear kick-out.

I have rashes on the sliders that would have otherwise have been body damage.

Yes, they bring some weight. But not that much. And it is low COG weight which can actually be helpful; especially if you pack a roof rack.

Dalko43

Explorer
The 4runner's payload is ~1.5k lbs. 100lbs of sliders, by themselves, really don't cut into that much, but when you start adding front and rear bumpers, a winch, extra fuel, roof rack, ect. you can very quickly find yourself over the factory payload.

Also, the 4runner's v6 is barely adequate in stock form. You add more weight, you're going to see a drastic decrease in fuel economy and acceleration.

Sliders, IMO, are not a priority for an overland-oriented 4runner. I've gone through some pretty technical roads with the just the OEM plastic side steps. Careful driving and good tires will get you through most areas just fine. If you really want to focus on rock crawling or technical jeep trails, sliders might make sense. But for your purposes, I think a good set of A/T's should be the priority. Stock suspension is actually very capable and I wouldn't fiddle with it unless you plan on adding a lot more weight.

JLee

Adventurer
It really depends on where you usually go. I have sliders on my truck - New England has many rocks, trees, and narrow trails. I went with aluminum skids to save weight (about 45lbs over stock for full nose to tail coverage, IIRC).

Adventurous

Explorer
With the rocker panels being such a vulnerable area when navigating trails, even moderate ones, I would rather regret spending $500 on a set of sliders and never needing them than have an oopsie with $500 to fix the rocker AND another $500 to get some sliders. Plus, if you get fill plates they make great steps for small children to climb up into a lifted vehicle. And I can attest to the door ding protection. I was sitting in my truck at the grocery store last week when I hear a crunch and a bewildered guy to my right staring at his door after ramming it into my slider.

sn_85

Observer
Just get them and don't look back. You're a little more limited (no pun intended) as to what sliders you can get since yours is a 4Runner Limited but there are a few options. I would look into the OPOR Sliders by Metaltech. Your truck (and you) won't even notice that they're on. Off-roading might not always be Overlanding, but Overlanding includes off-roading. You never know what trail you will go on that will have some obstacle you need to navigate over or around. Plus they work nicely as a step.

lgrt

Adventurer
Beyond the obvious protection that sliders offer. Sliders also provide a good lift point for a Hi-Lift Jack if you're needing to get a wheel up to stack rocks. I've found mine helpful a number of times for protection, once when a wheel slipped on a muddy (wet clay) slight incline sliding the truck side ways a foot putting the slider against a tree. (not hard off roading, just poor conditions)

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
It’s a tough call they suck up 10% of your payload. They’re sort of like wearing knee pads on a hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It's a tough call they suck up 10% of your payload. They're sort of like wearing knee pads on a hike.
I wear knee pads when I ski. But I telemark, so dropping a knee makes it vulnerable in a way alpine skiers' knee are not. For hiking I know some people like to use poles, others don't.

Which is, I think, a good analogy. Your use dictates what you need. I've used my sliders enough to know that these are one of the very first modifications I do to a vehicle but not everyone feels the same way.

phsycle

Adventurer
I don't think knee pads is a good analogy. Maybe minimal running shoes vs HD hiking boots. But that comment about 10% of the payload--that is true! I was just looking up the payload of the Ranger on the Australian site. 995kg = ~2,200lbs! That's over twice the payload I've got!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Scholars will differ. I lived in South America for about 15 years over a span of forty years. Traveled all over the place. Roads have only gotten better. You would probably have to really work to find a place where rock sliders would be worth the cost or weight, especially for a lighter vehicle.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Have a great trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles