Heavy Duty Canopies / Shelters

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
This past week at the Overland Expo we had a little bit of wind. Nothing that I would call strong by any means. It would seem that the wind that we did get was enough to pretty much ruin my 10' x 10' canopy tent. No big loss. It was a $50 special...

OX10 was the very first time I had ever even used it. The one that I have is obviously not sturdy enough to stand up to the rigors of backcountry camping, or overlanding. So now I'm on the prowl for one that is not huge or rediculously heavy, can be erected by 1 person, and will stand up to the weather (moderate rain / wind).

I think I have narrowed the field to the units listed below. What do you guys think? Is anyone using these?

My #1 Choice so far:

Kelty Shadehouse - Large
081996.jpg

Design type Freestanding shelter
Average weight 11 lbs. 7 oz.
Dimensions 12 ft. 2 in. x 11 ft.
Covered area 143 square feet
Peak height 5 ft. 10 in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kelty Sunshade - Large
s7_517598_imageset_02

Average weight 11 lbs. 12 oz.
Dimensions 10 x 10 feet
Covered area 50 - 75 square feet
Peak height 9 ft. 2 in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

REI Screen House
0bf83f1a-968a-42ec-8ef9-59d598073e64.jpg

Dimensions 120 x 120 inches
Floor dimensions 10 x 10 feet
Covered area 100 square feet
Peak height 84 inches

Last edited:

Saline

Adventurer
I can tell you that the Kelty Sunshade deforms quite a bit in the wind. It has never been broken or bent but it definately deforms and is not functional in higher winds.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hey Jamie, would you consider a vehicle mounted awning? If so, I can recommend my Camping lab awning. Its $250.00 shipped and very much able to withstand sizable gusts.

It comes supplied with effective guylines at the end of the awning, as well as included stakes. The other end obviously is attached to the vehicle.

It would be easy to fab up panels to enclose it, or Fernando at Camping lab can supply you with some...

just fyi...

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
What was the type you had that failed?
I had the Camping Lab "Gazebo". They got rid of what they had in their inventory, and no longer carry it anymore for this exact reason.

Hey Jamie, would you consider a vehicle mounted awning? If so, I can recommend my Camping lab awning. Its $250.00 shipped and very much able to withstand sizable gusts.
I have thought about a vehicle mounted awning a lot. But I think I would really rather not - for a couple of reasons.

In a situation where I'm traveling from Point-A to Point-B, and establishing a new campsite every day, the awning would be great. But in a situation where I unhook the trailer to establish a "base camp" that I will return to every day, the awning would be a P.I.T.A. having to take it down every time I want to move the truck...
PLUS - on a pickup truck without a shell, there's no way to permenently mount an awning that doesn't look retarded.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I had the Camping Lab "Gazebo". They got rid of what they had in their inventory, and no longer carry it anymore for this exact reason.

Oh wow. I'm surprised. I found that type is generally pretty sturdy. I wonder if mine is aluminum or steel framed. It's pretty darn heavy. I can't imagine the ones you posted would be stronger.

paulj

Expedition Leader
My impression is that the 3 leg Sun Shade is the sturdiest of the freestanding shades. Yes it will deform, or even turn turtle if not staked down, but what else can you expect. Anything can act like a sail or wing.

If there is much wind, you need to stake it down well. You can attach guylines to the middle of the long legs, and ends of the short ends.

The smaller models of the sunshade have walls on 2 of the 3 sides. Walls provide protection against the wind, but also add to the wind load.

Another option is a wing tarp. When rigged properly they should not flap in the wind. But they will put a high load on any anchor points. Also the windward corner can be placed low to the ground to minimize load.

Experience is also important. Few, it any, tarps will survive unattended.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
The sunshade looks like a kite and in a wind situation might not be the best option. the sun house looks fairly sturdy but I have not tried it. the same can be said of the REI. I have thought about it quite a bit. I ran out of money designated for camping equipment last week so I got to thinking of what my grand dad has always done for sun/wind/rain shelters. went down to Walmart and bought 6 tent replacement poles, some 3/16 rope and using a tarp that is brown on one side and silver on the other made my own. I can set it up myself in about 15 minutes (5 minutes with help). I let this go through our last storm this week and the wind that is still going strong with no worries.

Attachments

• _DSC0005.jpg
    _DSC0005.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 74
  • _DSC0003.jpg
    _DSC0003.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 48

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

I have thought about a vehicle mounted awning a lot. But I think I would really rather not - for a couple of reasons.

In a situation where I'm traveling from Point-A to Point-B, and establishing a new campsite every day, the awning would be great. But in a situation where I unhook the trailer to establish a "base camp" that I will return to every day, the awning would be a P.I.T.A. having to take it down every time I want to move the truck...
PLUS - on a pickup truck without a shell, there's no way to permenently mount an awning that doesn't look retarded.

yup, for the first reason, a trailer mounted awning or a freestanding shelter would be the best way.

Mounting to your truck, though, as discussed, is totally doable with some load bars, or expandable struts, that keep the awning close to the bed when retracted.

we may still end up getting a tent trailer that we'll modify for offroading, and I'd definitely want to mount my awning to it rather than my truck, in that case.

Otherwise, if we're tent camping, my awning takes so little time to deploy/pack-up, (like 1-2 min, literally) I'd have no problem keeping it on the truck. Also, that way I could move the truck/awning as needed to give the best shelter.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I just purchased an awning from the Bus Depot and have been happy so far.

Pros Not mounted to my vehicle - no wind drag
Packs very small 6"x30"
Has several different mounts
Can be set up by 1 person
Adjust to variety of terrain
EZ to lower for afternoon sun
Rain runs off and can be diverted
Low price $130 shipped

Cons Not as fast as some to set up
Carry bags could be better - I plan to replace mine soon

dms1

Explorer
If your looking for a shelter for base camping, I would get an EZ Awn, if you stake down the legs and use 1-2 guy wire ropes per leg it will withstand heavy winds, I use this setup with cheap harbor freight tarps attached to the sides if it is raining.

IMG_2181.JPG

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm using a First Up from Walmart, and haven't had any problems when staked down. But, I expect "heavy winds" in Az are a little stronger than here.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
So... attach it to the trailer... ;)

I guess you didn't get a chance to see RJ's vehicle mounted awning during your W-A-T a few weeks back.... Forgot the brand of awning (Edit: ARB) . But is was mounted to his bed rack on risers so he could raise the awning to a predetermined height when needed, and return it to bed height for transport.

Here's the post on his TTORA build thread with pics
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1901057&highlight=awning#post1901057
RJ's awning is too small. That thing is like 4' x 6'. My canopy tent was 10' x 10' and that was almost too small!

Yes - I have also thought of mounting an awning to the trailer. That was the original plan. But I have looked at it, and I think it will interfere too much with the opening & closing of the lid and getting gear in & out of the trailer.

I already have my poor man's awning (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=402548&postcount=20) that works GREAT!

SAR_Squid79 said:

...and the other thing is - I didn't start this thread to ask about creative solutions for mounting an awning to my truck or trailer. ;) I am really interested in finding a free-standing canopy or shelter that I can use to get out of the sun and rain, that will stand up well to moderate wind and weather.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
RJ's awning is too small. That thing is like 4' x 6'. My canopy tent was 10' x 10' and that was almost too small!

Yes - I have also thought of mounting an awning to the trailer. That was the original plan. But I have looked at it, and I think it will interfere too much with the opening & closing of the lid and getting gear in & out of the trailer.

I already have my poor man's awning (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=402548&postcount=20) that works GREAT!

...and the other thing is - I didn't start this thread to ask about creative solutions for mounting an awning to my truck or trailer. I am really interested in finding a free-standing canopy or shelter that I can use to get out of the sun and rain, that will stand up well to moderate wind and weather.

Hey jamie, I was wondering if we could talk about creative solutions for mounting an awning to your truck...

or your trailer.

is that what you're asking?

hehe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior