Heating pad brainstorming

Goul6891

Thinking about building a removable heated sleeping pad for my 2006 Jeep Unlimited. I like to go riding snowmobile in winter, and it's usually too spur of the moment to find lodging.
My Jeep has a soft top, and the cab heat doesn't get the back seat warm even. What I'm thinking right now is this:
Sandwich runs of in-floor heating tubing between two layers of plywood(3/8?) shaped to the floor layout, support the plywood with lumber, leaving 1 side open, and fill with expanding foam insulation. Cap the last side off, and terminate the tubing at the edge. Use flexible, cold weather hose to a propane-fired tankless hot water heater(like the kind available for hot showers while camping: propane feed, pilotless, battery-powered igniter, and in/out water connections), and a small electric water pump(how big?) for circulation, both of which will be set up outside the vehicle. Some type of low freeze point liquid(automotive coolant?) would be used of course, and a small tube above the tallest point, w/bleeder valve should be sufficient in case it needs purging? I would likely keep the system intact, just set the pump and heater inside when time to move.
Being a closed loop,it should be pretty efficient, but I have even thought of creating a quilted/insulated 'tent' with heat reflective material on the inside to keep heat from bleeding off from the roof, or sides.
Sorry for rambling, and the run-on sentences!
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

Goul6891

I'm currently running just one optima yellowtop, wonder how much juice those take?...It would be nice to have 2-3 nights of heat

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have heard some using a jumpstart pack to run them. Might be worth having one? Maybe pack a second battery? It doesn't need to run all night in most cases. Warm things up and shut it off.

Another idea might be a propane "buddy heater"? You need fresh air since it consumes oxygen. The moisture generated might be an issue too?

I have an electric ZeroStart cabin heater in my truck. A small generator can run it.

Maybe a combination? 12V heated pad to warm up the bed. Then a propane heater for a quick warm up in the morning.

Just more ideas.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
You beat me to it, there are also 12v blankets as well, I bought one for my wife for those clear but chilly evenings when driving around in our MX5.
I had the blanket on my radar a couple years ago. Heated seats in the new rig took care of that, but I am glad you brought it back up. That might be a good xmas gift idea for her. THX

peneumbra

Explorer
Well, my solution would be to get a nice... winch.

Yes, a nice, warm winch who would get in bed first and warm everything up for you and keep you warm all ni-

Pardon me. That's wench, not winch...

ab1985

Explorer
A 12V blanket and dual battery setup sounds easier, cheaper, and more efficient than building a heated subfloor running off propane.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
All and all a good military surplus extreme cold weather bag will be all you need perhaps a ground pad under it, cost effective and works.

Colby Jack

Traveler
If you are riding up towards Petersville or Eureka, you are talking -20F. No offense fellas, but we live in a different spectrum of cold up here. 12v is a tough sell because after a long day of riding, your entire rig is frozen solid. Batteries and other storage type systems for power tend to have a short lifespan up here in the 8+ months of snow. I like your idea, but agree that it is too complex, not to mention all of the wood you are using is actually an insulator, meaning your heat will not be very efficient (if I'm reading that correctly). I would suggest getting a hard top. Many issues will be solved by sealing the weather out. The sleeping bag and pad are super important, but I assume you have a nice set if you've been doing this already-- if not, look at Wiggy's Bags!!! If you want the cat's-***** setup, I would run a propex heater. Or a webasto/espar system. Trailercraft in Los Anchorage will be able to point you in the right direction.

On the cheap-- Use r-tech insulation board (white stuff with foil face at HD) and cut to fit your floors and wall sections.
Just my .02

Vinman

Observer
Look into the Webasto vehicle heaters, burns fuel from the gas tank and heats the engines cooling system. Maybe add a timer to periodically run the heater fan to circulate the warm air throughout the cabin.

Vince

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94