Heating a pop-up truck camper?

gtbensley

Explorer
Look into a catalytic heater from Camco. I've used the 8k BTU (tent trailer and 34' 5th wheel), and the 3k BTU (popup camper). They work great, don't require any electricity, and are silent. Yes, they're a little pricey, but work very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57331-Olympian-Wave-3-Catalytic/dp/B000BUV1RK

Same deal as a buddy heater though isn't it? Burning a fuel so it must off gas?

No really interested in electric blankets, they pull lots of electricity.

Joeprunc

Observer
Bringing up an old thread now that winter is amongst us.

Just got a pop camper TC650 and had my first weekend in the Sierras skiing earlier this month. It was fairly cold and got down to mid teens, snowed like hell and was cloudy. My Group 24 battery only had juice to cover about 24 hours of the trip (we didn't drive much from resort to the camp spot so truck didnt' charge batteries much, and we used the heater during lunch, night, and the next morning) Battery was dead by 1pm the second day....:( no good for 3 day camping.

I'm putting solar on the camper this weekend, so that should help with summer time power, however I plan on taking a winter trip in Feb to Colorado, where I will need more power (as you can't count on solar with snow). My initial thought was to buy a 1000watt generator, but that's a ton of $$ for just using during the winter trips.

But in light of this thread I think I may have another option:
Using a Mr Buddy heater to help with power usage through the night. Add a second battery, I don't have room inside the camper, so to add one I'll store it in the truck bed infront of the rear wheel well (with a marine box strapped down), and have a quick disconnect to the house battery. Since both batteries are outside, I can use a true deep cycle (not marine) lead acid battery (which are cheaper and higher Ah).

Has anyone put a second battery in this location? Or does this sound like a "Retarded Idea?" Or should I just pony up, keep it simple and get the generator?

subterran

Adventurer
That sounds good to me. Similar to what I have, and the Little Buddy heater is good to have as a backup anyway. Good travels to you in 2017!

dtimms

Observer
I have had the same issues as you. I have lost battery a couple times on ski trips. I bought a Rigid generator for $450 and it has saved me a couple times. Solar doesn't really help cause we are usually chasing storms so that means clouds and snow. Be careful using the Mr Buddy as your only backup in Colorado. Some of my friends have had poor luck with them running at altitude. Some of my friends have had good luck but I would hate to chance it as my only backup. Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you get your system setup.

20150228_074854.jpg

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
"Add a second battery, I don't have room inside the camper, so to add one I'll store it in the truck bed infront of the rear wheel well (with a marine box strapped down), and have a quick disconnect to the house battery. Since both batteries are outside, I can use a true deep cycle (not marine) lead acid battery (which are cheaper and higher Ah).

Has anyone put a second battery in this location? Or does this sound like a "Retarded Idea?" Or should I just pony up, keep it simple and get the generator?"

A 2nd battery is the most common solution & that's a good place for it as long as you can get to it to check on it. You need a battery isolator to keep the 2nd battery from draining your starting battery and big enough wires to carry the charging current to the 2nd battery. Find out your heaters current draw & size your 2nd battery to meet your anticipated amp usage - remembering to only draw down the battery to 50% if you want it to last...For multiple nights in snow I'd also use a buddy heater when awake unless you fully understand your heating systems amp draw.Moe

dlh62c

Explorer
Add the second battery if you can make it fit.

Regarding a generator, I wouldn't go less than 2000 watt. That size will run anything you can run off a 15amp outlet with room to spare.

Expecting ice here in the Midwest. The generator is gassed and ready to use should the power go out.

Joeprunc

Observer
Thanks for all the feed back, the generator is definitely the easy fix, and a sure way to have power. I was on the fence between a smaller 1000 watt vs larger 2000 watt, thanks for the feed back on sizing, everything I've read was also regarding get more than you except. With the 2000 watt I can use a hair dryer to help dry wet gloves/boots, etc (a 2000 watt would be needed for that).

I did get mono-crystal solar pannels which are better in flat light, than poly-crystal, however with snow on top neither will do anything.

"Add a second battery, I don't have room inside the camper, so to add one I'll store it in the truck bed infront of the rear wheel well (with a marine box strapped down), and have a quick disconnect to the house battery. Since both batteries are outside, I can use a true deep cycle (not marine) lead acid battery (which are cheaper and higher Ah).

Has anyone put a second battery in this location? Or does this sound like a "Retarded Idea?" Or should I just pony up, keep it simple and get the generator?"

A 2nd battery is the most common solution & that's a good place for it as long as you can get to it to check on it. You need a battery isolator to keep the 2nd battery from draining your starting battery and big enough wires to carry the charging current to the 2nd battery. Find out your heaters current draw & size your 2nd battery to meet your anticipated amp usage - remembering to only draw down the battery to 50% if you want it to last...For multiple nights in snow I'd also use a buddy heater when awake unless you fully understand your heating systems amp draw.Moe

As far as draining the starting battery....I thought my camper had an isolator already to separate the truck battery from camper (power is pulled from the AUX on the 7 pin connector). I would have thought that me draining the camper battery the other weekend would have left me stranded at the slopes if there wasn't already an isolator. Keeping above 50% draw is also a huge reason to put two batteries in.....but still not a full proof plan for camping in the snow.

kerry

Expedition Leader
It still amazes me that mfg's put forced air furnaces in campers they know will be used for backcountry camping. Camped with a friend of mine last fall who had just bought a bumper pull Coachman trailer. One night in just below freezing weather and his battery was dead. He was convinced there was a fault in the system somewhere. I had to explain it was just a stupid design and he had to start his truck, plug in the trailer and get his battery recharged. I owned an 84 Mercedes class A motorhome in Europe for a few years. That heater didn't require electricity and worked just fine.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Bringing up an old thread now that winter is amongst us.

Just got a pop camper TC650 and had my first weekend in the Sierras skiing earlier this month. It was fairly cold and got down to mid teens, snowed like hell and was cloudy. My Group 24 battery only had juice to cover about 24 hours of the trip (we didn't drive much from resort to the camp spot so truck didnt' charge batteries much, and we used the heater during lunch, night, and the next morning) Battery was dead by 1pm the second day....:( no good for 3 day camping.

I'm putting solar on the camper this weekend, so that should help with summer time power, however I plan on taking a winter trip in Feb to Colorado, where I will need more power (as you can't count on solar with snow). My initial thought was to buy a 1000watt generator, but that's a ton of $$ for just using during the winter trips.

But in light of this thread I think I may have another option:
Using a Mr Buddy heater to help with power usage through the night. Add a second battery, I don't have room inside the camper, so to add one I'll store it in the truck bed infront of the rear wheel well (with a marine box strapped down), and have a quick disconnect to the house battery. Since both batteries are outside, I can use a true deep cycle (not marine) lead acid battery (which are cheaper and higher Ah).

Has anyone put a second battery in this location? Or does this sound like a "Retarded Idea?" Or should I just pony up, keep it simple and get the generator?

Get some Reflectix insulation from Home Depot. It'll fit between the bars and the fabric on the sides and you can do a Velcro attachment setup in the front. That'll greatly enhance the R-factor. When you're done it slips under the mattress itself. Solar's a pretty good way to go aside from cloudy days. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
"As far as draining the starting battery....I thought my camper had an isolator already to separate the truck battery from camper (power is pulled from the AUX on the 7 pin connector). I would have thought that me draining the camper battery the other weekend would have left me stranded at the slopes if there wasn't already an isolator. Keeping above 50% draw is also a huge reason to put two batteries in.....but still not a full proof plan for camping in the snow."

Maybe your rig has an isolator designed to only draw a limited amount of power from your starter? Unfamiliar with how that would work - maybe a voltage cutoff? - it might play nice with a 2nd battery - or not...In any case Regcabguy has good advice about insulation and while a "foolproof" plan can be done with a 2nd battery and a meter to watch your amp usage - (and maybe with an aux propane heater as failsafe) you would have to think it all through & learn how to do it. Much easier to buy a generator - & for a ski parking lot maybe the noise would be ok. You still have to rely on your batteries for keeping your h20 liquid if it gets actually cold while you are skiing.Moe

craig333

Expedition Leader
Ran my heater last night. Dropped my batteries from 100% to 95% charge. You need a good deep cycle battery and keep it properly charged. Trying to charge a crappy battery from a 10ga wire from the truck just won't cut it.

Josh41

Adventurer
What happens when/if the battery dies overnight. I have an Atwood electronic ignition propane furnace with fan in my camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles