Heater alternative maybe wood stove?

dvorocks

Adventurer
Lots of good info in this thread.. Thanks guys.. Im thinking about the fatsco stove but Ive heard that if you burn wood in them they will smoke you out of the cabin.. I found one locally for a great price but not sure I want to have to buy charcoal

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Unless there's draught and flue 'issues', I don't see how it would, after all, the stove doesn't know what it's burning.

I like the idea of smokeless charcoal for discreet van camping, that and the fact that the charcoal briquettes are compact (space saving), give good very heat output and are economical in use and to buy.

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
We had a Dickenson Newport on our boat, and it burned charcoal just fine. Wood works too, of course. We heard of people burning coal in them but I would not have tried it.

It could drive us out of the main cabin on a 39' sailboat stoked up high, there was plenty of heat. With this or any other small wood/charcoal burner, you absolutely MUST have a flue-mount damper in addition to whatever the stove has, otherwise there is hardly any control over draft and output. The built-in sliding dampers just leak too much when the fire gets going good. With a swivel damper in the flue, you have good control.

You might also want heat shielding around the exposed flue pipe to prevent you or someone from eventually planting a hand on it when it's hot...

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I bought my stove with the specific intention of using an in flue damper as I'd learned of their benefit in tent stoves applications.

I recall reading a Fatsco Stove owner saying that just three charcoal briquettes heated his boat cabin all evening, and I've just come across some pretty high output briquettes used in full time travel van stoves.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I just found this wood stove on craigslist I think I might give it a try http://hartford.craigslist.org/spo/3629495348.html Its the perfect size for my setup.. I was going to go with the fatsco but spoke with a couple people and they said it really wasnt designed to burn wood

I thought that you might like to see this stove with built in oven, designed and built by an established UK stove maker.

$(KGrHqF,!qoE88ffTH1bBPSjkWtVkg~~60_57.JPG

THE TYPHON HAS BEEN SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED FOR USERS NEEDING AN EXTREMELY WELL MADE INEXPENSIVE, ECONOMICAL, RELIABLE POWERFUL HEAT SOURCE, COUPLED WITH THEIR NEED FOR AN OVEN AND HOTPLATE WHILST USING THE MINIMUM OF FLOOR AREA

...​

THE FIREBOX IS AIRTIGHT FOR PROLONGED BURNING TIMES, A BURN TIME OF 24 HOURS IS EASILY ATTAINABLE WITH EVEN VERY LIMITED EXPERIENCE, and BECAUSE IT IS AIRTIGHT, YOU CAN TURN IT DOWN AND LEAVE IN A RUSH WITH THE KNOWLEDGE IT WILL NOT RUN OUT OF CONTROL IN YOUR ABSENCE, AS DO SO MANY CHEAPER AND MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE BURNERS

Loads more info on both of the websites. Company website, here, and their Ebay page is, here.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Lots of nice ideas :)

Is there some sort of guideline in a camper fit as to how much clear space you have to give around such a stove?

762X39

Explorer
Lots of nice ideas :)

Is there some sort of guideline in a camper fit as to how much clear space you have to give around such a stove?

Typically, the manufacturer of the stove will be able to supply that information. I think the clearances required vary and a heat protection plate is required behind the stove to protect the wall from getting scorched.:coffee:

dvorocks

Adventurer
I have decided to build a wood stove since nothing n the market really is what im looking for...Or maybe Im just a DIY kinda guy.. Im either going to use an old 20lb propane tank or a 12inch x 8inch clay flue.. Im thinking the clay flue will hold the heat better.. Might take a little longer to warm up but less chances of it scorching anything near it with the limited space I have...Ok start bashing how dangerous this is ....GO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles