Heater alternative maybe wood stove?

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Here I was thinking I was nuts for considering a woodstove in my enclosed trailer(20' garage/18' living quarters) and it turns out, there's a whole group of us who are nuts! :D

expomazda

Observer
I know it isn't wood, but have you looked at the buddy heaters? They are propane and are supposed to be "indoor safe".

Clutch

<---Pass
I know it isn't wood, but have you looked at the buddy heaters? They are propane and are supposed to be "indoor safe".

They aren't really, simply have a low oxygen fitting that shuts off the gas when the oxygen gets sucked out of the structure. They have issues working at altitude. They'll still omit carbon monoxide. I own one, and don't trust it to have it on while we sleep. Use it for taking the chill off in the morning and that is about it.

A safer way to go is an electric heater and a generator. Those little Honda 2000w gennies work great, burn very little fuel, and are whisper quiet. Quite a bit more energy
in gasoline than wood, plus gas takes up less storage space than wood. 1gal/9.6 hrs of run time. Then you have the generator to run electrical devices. Very versatile system.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i-companion

As with any system, each has their pros and cons.

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
A recent issue of Wooden Boat magazine had an article on installing wood stoves in boats. The issues faced when installing in a camper are similar for boats.

Jim

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
You can never have too many flues though.

IMG_3149.JPG

And have you considered a back patio.

Obviously works pretty well in Yukon territory

gm13

Adventurer
Post some pics of your build. I don't know who said the Fatsco's don't burn wood. They were designed as coal stoves for milk delivery trucks back when. We typically burn charcoal, (the real stuff not briquettes) for the sake of a cleaner burn with less ash on deck or sail covers but it's seen it's share of driftwood and was just as happy. There are plenty of boaters burning wood in them.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Yup, it was the boaters that helped convince me to get the Fatsco Pet Stove, and the full time van dwellers only used wood in their Pet Stoves too.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I am planning on it, picked up a stainless Newport last year from "Craig" for 30 bucks.

Actually... It was $75.00 Found some notes...:D Still a great little stove though.

ype2aruj.jpg

Last edited:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Right now I have an espar diesel heater that works great when it want to.. Im tired of dealing with it. Has anyone ever used a wood stove in their rig?. Ive seen them in sail boats so I know it can be done..

Why not a Proplex heater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94