Heated Blankets

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Are there any backcountry worthy heated blankets. Looking for low amp draw. Auto shutoff based on time.

Rumpl had one, but it seems to no longer be available. Sierra Madre has the Hot Pocket, but it's not that big. I'm looking for something similar in size to the single person rumble. Preferably with material similar to a mountaineering down coats and sleeping bags. Now of course I can be persuaded to look other options based on experiences of others. But, it has to be able to run on 12V, or even preferably off of USB so I could use an external battery back. Ultimately, I'd like to run power in my RTT, but for now I'll just use 10,000mAh to 20,000mAh battery packs.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Maybe something from the trucking industry?

Might only be usable with the engine running but it would be a good way to warm up the bed before turning in for the night.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I have this one....https://www.amazon.com/ELUTO-Electr...elite+12v+blanket&qid=1577168933&sr=8-2-fkmr1

I used it the other night in 32 degree weather. I ended up turning it on 3 times through the night. Really only cuz I wake up and would hit the button every time that happened. I use it as a mattress pad cuz it's not very big (most of the 12V ones are just throws like this one) so the heat rises up and my comforter traps the heat. On that night I powered it with a Yeti 400 and when the Yeti was plugged in the next morning it was down to 80%. Not bad.

D

Deleted member 9101

Truck stops have 12v heated blankets and mattress pads. Run it through a PWM controller to regulate temp and it will work quite nicely.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have used a 12 volt heated blanket for years. For best results, I prefer the blanket over the pad. Because I have seen electrical problems/fires on many with controls I only use blankets without t-stat, timers, or vari heat adjustments. Currently, my blanket has only hi/low/off. It uses ~45 watts and reaches about 105° on Low and 135° on Hi. With my battery bank of ~170AH I can run the heat all nite, fridge, and charge stuff and still wake up ~12.4 volts.

In the end, it is super nice to get into a warm bed.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I find that when sleeping in the LR, even with outside temps in the 30s, the inside temp stays from 40 to 45 deg. I have thought about a heated blanker for years. Had one in Seattle to use when waiting for the ferry, can't find it now but it was a large draw for the battery.
So thanks for your post showing a possible choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94