Heat for the 4runner

Tacomedic18

Just traded my Taco in for a 19 4runner to do some overlanding/camping in. I'm a travel nurse and will be sleeping in my car 2-3 nights/week + some weekend off road trips. My next assignment is in a much colder winter climate than I'm used to. My question is; what do would be a recommendation for a heater for the winter? I've looked at 2 different options:
1. Mr. Heater Little Buddy 3800 BTU heater, of course I'll be leaving the windows cracked for ventilation
2. Using a portable generator like a predator 2k and an electric space heater, still leaving the windows cracked for ventilation
Does anyone use either of these setups or have any suggestions. I'll be posting up some pics of my rig setup once I get my build started in the next few days!

Wallygator

Adventurer
Please don't use a propane heater inside. I am going with what @kwill mentioned for my RTT. I just ordered a 12V heated throw to sleep on top of in a sleeping bag and have a Yeti 400 to power it. It has a 45 min timer on it, draws 45 watts an hour, and has 3 temp settings. Hopefully this works well.

Tacomedic18

Have you considered a battery pack and electric heating pad?
I have not, but will be looking into it. I have a Yeti 1000 that I will be using to power my cooler and fan. I've also been looking into a dual battery setup. Thanks for the info!

Eagle05

Adventurer
Having owned a propane heater like the Little Buddy, and hating the amount of condensation it puts inside, I definitely wouldn't suggest one.
I recently switched to a 4Runner from a Sprinter van that had a diesel Espar heater that was the most convenient/wonderful thing ever on cold or wet mornings. I've been dreaming on how to do a similar setup with a heater that puts out tons of that safe, good and dry heat. Propex heaters seem great, but I don't like having to carry propane, and their price is higher than I'd like. I did find this portable Planar diesel heater from Total Composites that I think could be secured to the roof rack, or maybe a bumper box swing out, combined with a cutout for a rear side door window to route the hose into. A similar setup with a Propex would also work, and I've heard you can source gasoline powered heaters similar to the Espar, but have not seen them.
I really like the dual battery idea with a heated pad/blanket, but that doesn't help with keeping the cabin warm or drying things out. I may just invest in a remote start for the short term so I can click the remote from the comfort of the sleeping bag until it warms up a bit.
I would be curious if anyone has insulated their 4Runner at all with Thinsulate or a similar material the way van owners do.

frobuster

Observer
Have you considered a battery pack and electric heating pad?

Second that. My choice when OTR. If you do want to look at propane...look at olympic catalytic! Safe for travel traiĺers.

T town

You can get gasoline Espar units. Sticking them in a pickup bed or such IDK.
They are biggish and noisy for such a small space. See Espar M2-B4L.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I have slept comfortably in the back of my Suburban in below freezing temperatures with just an air mattress and sleeping bag. Getting up in the morning is a b**** though...

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I have an older 2002 4runner but I love my heated blanket. It will keep you warm but not the car. I just reach over and start the car before getting out of bed and let the heater warm up the car when im ready to get up. Just know you need a sine wave inverter when using a 120v heated blanket. I used a cheaper inverter and fried my first blanket even though I read the warnings online. Ive never tried the 12v ones but doubt they would work well.

The yetti might work great if the inverter is sine wave,im sure others can chime in about this.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I have an older 2002 4runner but I love my heated blanket. It will keep you warm but not the car. I just reach over and start the car before getting out of bed and let the heater warm up the car when im ready to get up. Just know you need a sine wave inverter when using a 120v heated blanket. I used a cheaper inverter and fried my first blanket even though I read the warnings online. Ive never tried the 12v ones but doubt they would work well.

The yetti might work great if the inverter is sine wave,im sure others can chime in about this.

1000's of truckers and RVer's use the 12v style, I am sure they work just fine. I tested mine out in the garage hooked to the Yeti 400 but have still not been able to get out with. It warmed up pretty good and I had it on low. 55 watt draw initially for about 20 minutes then cycled down to about 34-36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz